Photo

The Bridge House Tavern

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Good (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#31 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

ok its just bridge house now and might open in the twentys of feb...

#32 DiscoStu

DiscoStu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

Does anyone have any further updates on scheduled opening. Work seems to be progressing although the scaffolding is still up.

#33 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

I can't believe the Mansion is being sold so that the owners can focus on the Bridge House Tavern!! How could they sell my beloved local. :angry:

I really hope the new owners keep everything as it is.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#34 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

Where does the idea that the Mansion is being sold come from? - I'd always thought the Bridge House was just another project for the owners - they already own the Rye in Peckham don't they?

#35 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:13 AM

Excellent news. Gypo Hill's loss is Penge's gain.

Very helpful Louar. Why one areas loss is needed for another areas gain is beyond me and probably says something about yourself. If you need another area to regress just to make you feel better about Penge then you are a bit sad.

Anyway......I heard the owner and some of the customers talking about it the other day. Apparently they are focusing on the Penge one because it is on the high street and near to the station (so I assume it will potentially earn them more money?). Another customer in the pub also told my partner the same thing the other day. I think the new owners do want to keep things the same though - they would be mad not to as it is busy in there every night of the week.

Edited by Bosie, 20 February 2008 - 10:14 AM.

#36 Miche

Miche

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hello, i just posted this under The Mansion. Info I received after a phone call with the assistant manager. Hope it is a helpful contribution. am rather looking forward to my trip to the Bridge House now...

Hello all, this is my very first post, so please forgive me if it is old news, or posted in the wrong place..

I booked a table for a Mothers Day treat at The Mansion yesterday, but alas when I got home they had called me back to say they are now closing down and moving out on Sunday 2 March because the pub will be under new management. The Mansion furniture, management and staff, and slightly heatlhier menus will all reapper at the Bridge House near Penge West station hopefully in time for Mothers Day.

#37 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:09 PM

I'm really shocked (and saddened) by that news - the place was doing so well and seemed to have the formula just right - i hope the new owners take that on board!

#38 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

Yes I agree Geronimo about the new owners needing to consider what was successful about the pub. I hope they don't change too much and I hope they don't replace the furnishings with something bland and inferior. For me that is a big reason why I find it such an enjoyable place to have a drink. It is a shame the furnishings could not have been sold along with the pub.

I doubt I will ever go to the Bridge Tavern though, I would be more likely to go to the Rye.

#39 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

am wondering now if this is just what htey do - buy a place, do it up, get a good business going and move on, selling the business at a profit? as you say though, Bosie, part of the suceess of the Manion was its ambience and that was in large part down to decor and furnishings - you'd have thought any new owner would want to buy that too to keep the punters there

#40 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

As said above - excellent news. bring it on.

Why are people saddened by the news of the mansion - it isn't closing down just getting new owners - you can't form an opinion until they are in place? could be making a drama over nothing..? and there's always the bus to penge high st...

People are saddened because some of the best bits of the pub (fixtures, fittings, staff) are being shipped off to the new one....a lot of people will never go to the new one in Penge because it is too far (and a bit rough).

#41 Michele

Michele

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

A few years ago, many thought Gipsy Hill was a bit rough...times are a changing Bosie...move with them

#42 4 a horse

4 a horse

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

...and over the hill to Penge West is hardly far compared to heading all the way across to the north side of Peckham Rye.

#43 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

As someone who has just moved to Penge after a few years in the triangle, i have to say that although penge is a bit scruffy and down at heel, it feels safe, is lovely and quiet (no police sirens and street brawls) and I'm enjoying living here much more than i thought. that said, it desparately needs a nice pub, and i cannot wait for the bridge house to open. as i remember, crystal palace wasnt too hot when i first moved there...

#44 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

Is Penge not rough anymore then? Haven't been for years and assumed it still was!

Either way, I for one wouldn't bother to go to Penge to go to the pub (unless I was meeting someone) when there are so many decent places in walking distance. Personaly, I either go for a drink locally or meet people in central London for drinks. If it was my local, I'd give it a try under new management and if it's no good I'd take my business to one of the numerous other local watering holes.

#45 DiscoStu

DiscoStu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have to agree with peggysue, having lived literally in the triangle (st aubyns road), I am really enjoying life in Penge - There is less pollution (noise and fumes) and have yet to feel intimidated when staggering home late at night. It is also considerably cheaper than Palace to buy a spacious property but only a few quid in a taxi up to the triangle as at the moment quality bars and restaurants are on short supply.