• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a property in SE19. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good solicitor? Ideally I'd like to pay no more than £700 fixed fee (inc. VAT) for the conveyancing fee. I know I can get non-local solicitors for much less, but the only one I found in SE19 that does it (Amphlett Lissimore) want £800 inc. VAT. Any advice is much appreciated!

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

Amphlett Lissimore are OK have used a couple of time & had no problems .

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

I also found AL to be very efficient. Easily worth the extra £100 over your budget in my view. For £100, you could be making a false economy here (given the size of the purchase you are making, plus all the stress involved etc. ).

#4 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

OK, I'll probably go with them then. Has anyone had bad experiences with Amphlett Lissimore though? I guess the extra 100 quid will buy me piece of mind! Also, it's helpfull to have them on the triangle. I live on Central Hill and am lookin to move to the "Crystal Palace BR" siede of SE19. Any other comments welcome. Going slightly off-topic, does anyone know what Sylvan Road's like? I've only ever driven down it before...

#5 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

I used a really good solicitor last year when I bought my flat but he is based in Essex. I have never met him and was able to do everything via email/ post. Let me know if you want his details, he was pretty cheap and very quick.

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hi Centralhilleagle. When we moved a couple of years back, our basic solicitor's fee was £880 (inc VAT; solicitor based in north-west) so I think £800 sounds fine to me. I think you do get what you pay for. Don't know much about AL - met them for five mins when they witnessed our signatures on a document. Seem to be a very professional outfit though.

Good luck with the move. Don't know Sylvan Hill very well, but I live on the same side of CP and it's generally very pleasant round here.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

I used a really good one a couple of years ago. Knowles and Co Manor Road Mitcham

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

Theirs nothing like meeting your solicitor face to face it def keeps them on the hop & if there is a problem you can meet to sort out rather than by post or email.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

I know I can get non-local solicitors for much less, but the only one I found in SE19 that does it (Amphlett Lissimore) want £800 inc. VAT. Any advice is much appreciated!

I don't think it's necessary to use a local solicitor, as long as they are a good one. If you get a good recommendation for someone not local, then go for them. We have bought property in Bristol using a solicitor in York and everything was fine!
aka Pie

#10 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

We have just baught a property in Sydenham and used Nicholson and Morgan in Ponteland, Newcastle Upon Tyne. Due to 3 properties falling through we have been in constant touch with them for a year and I cant fault them.

We found out about them after several recommendations on this forum. They charged about £550 inc VAT.

#11 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

We used Vroobel Kaye in Harrow, they gave us £100 off their fee because we had been recommended by a previous client. We only had to visit them once to sign various papers and show our passports.

They were incredibly thorough - we bought a leasehold flat and they found a major defect in the lease (a number of clauses missing due to basically shoddy paperwork by the solicitor who advised the vendor when he bought it in 2002), that required parts of the lease to be re-drawn. In total, moving from a rented flat to an empty one took 7 months :blink: , and for all the extra work, Vroobel Kaye did not charge us any more money.

I believe their fee was £475 + VAT (that was with the £100 off). Of course you've got to add on the cost of searches, land registry fees etc..

Happy to give you my name to quote them if you want to use them and get the discount. Please send me a personal message via Virtual Norwood and I will find the name of the solicitor we were assigned to as well.

#12 Simon J

Simon J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:10 PM

Centralhilleagle, I was just wondering if you managed to find some-one you were happy with as we're also looking for a conveyancing solicitor. We were only hoping to pay £800 inc vat, searches & land registry fees. Cheers!

#13 urpert

urpert

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

We've used Henry Hughes & Hughes in Streatham a couple of times and found them to be very efficient (and charge about the going rate for conveyancing). They're also quite local.

#14 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

I've recommended them several times before and am using them for my current move and I stand by my recommendation of:

Nicholson & Morgan
14 Bell Villas, Ponteland, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE20 9BE
Tel: 01661 871012

They really are superb.

JGX

#15 Jenny

Jenny

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Our solicitor is dealing with Amphlett Lissimore, she finds them hard to get hold of and consequently they are slowing things up. The person that's buying our flat isn't impressed with them. Plus they were much more expensive than ours - MHM (My Home Move) Solicitors