12 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:11 AM

Could anyone tell me what was there before the current housing was put there? My guess is that the housing was put up in the early-1980s...

I don't remember much around that stage as I was at the age where I wore velcro shoes and smelt of crisps.
But I'm sure somebody else would be able to remember....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#2 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:42 AM

All sorts of things, Uncle Wilf! Audrey Hammond and Brian Dann's book "Crystal Palace Norwood Heights" (probably still available in Bookseller Crow) will tell you about it in loving detail with drawings by Audrey too.

There was a paddock, overgrown with long grass, butterfly bushes and trees, old stables from "The Woodman" - which was a coaching inn on the site which Joanna's now occupies - and a laundry at the end of Carberry Road in a building which at one time was used to house zoo animals when there were fairs on at the Crystal Palace. Also a Dickensian-style alley.

I wish I'd seen it all for myself. Much as I like the peaceful little streets within the Triangle, it's not quite the same is it?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#3 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:43 AM

I think Brunel Close was 1980, but thats not due to memory as I was about 120 miles further north playing tig. Its the date that was on the house survey.

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

There used to be a terrace of various shops ( dont get to use that phrase a lot on this forum)before they took them down to make way for that development the only shop I can remember was a bric a brak sort of place wher I bought stamps. However I have been reliablly informed the site was once used for the local dairy cows were even kept on the site . I wonder if any of the older members could confirm that !

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 08 June 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

My fabled 1972 Kelly's directory has, for that part of Westow Street and roads off (lists businesses only):-

4 Westow Hill
Hollybush Terrace, Westow Street:
1 Bunyon & Hewett, domestic stores
2 Lawrence's, greengrocers
3 J & G Spooner, pet stores
4 J Rose, turf accountant
Paddock Gardens (no businesses listed)
Westow Street:
1 Flower Boutique
3 Garnham & Sons, builders
5 G J Webb & Son, butchers
7 Scott's, boot repairer
9 F Collett, confectioner
11 W R Duhig, café
Paddock Passage, wherein:
Design & Display, display fittings manufacturers
Westow Street contd:
13 Palace Plastics Products, injection moulders
15 R Leslie Randles, jeweller
17/19 James Jackson & Sons, drapers
21 Rilo Repair Services Ltd, repairing tailors
Child's Lane wherein:
The Cottage J F Bolton, optical frame maker
Carberry Road, wherein:
Freeman Heating Co Ltd, heating engineers
Carberry Works J E Libretto, joiner

#6 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

around where Joannas is, was the Woodman Pub and later a bakers shop, behind were some kind of engineering works, The express dairy was in paddock gardens, along the front of westow street just past victory place was a factory named Lukes that used to do lots of stuff for woolworths.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

Amazing to think that cows once chewed the cudd in the triangle once !

Cheers Jaw

Dazza

#8 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

Dazza, not too sure if there were cows there,

#9 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

There was a paddock, overgrown with long grass, butterfly bushes and trees, old stables from "The Woodman" - which was a coaching inn on the site which Joanna's now occupies - and a laundry at the end of Carberry Road in a building which at one time was used to house zoo animals when there were fairs on at the Crystal Palace.

Intriguing. Any idea what the laundry was called so I can try and look into it further? That would be quite close to me.

I believe there may have been a windmill, too, perhaps near to Albert Yard, if I'm remembering another thread on here correctly.

On the subject of JE Libretto mentioned in the 1972 Kellys Dictionary, the building still stands, though probably not for much longer as there have been a couple of planning applications for apartments on that site.

Edited by elleme, 08 June 2006 - 05:18 PM.

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

Cows present Pre WW2 I have been told !

Dazza

#11 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

All very fascinating. I'd love to see a photo of them cows.

As for the windmill, yes that seems to have been tucked away behind the Royal Albert. It was pulled down a long time ago - the mid-1850s I think, just after a couple called Mr and Mrs Jinks had set up the Windmill Tea Gardens nearby. Must have been the name that did it. ;)

I'm afraid I don't know the name of the laundry, elleme. But the building appears to have sat across the end of Carberry Road - and was demolished in 1979.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#12 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Has anyone noticed the beautifying (description of work depends on your viewpoint (literally) of course) of the planted borders at the Westow Street end of Ovett? What do you think?

#13 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

I remember buying shoes in Freeman Hardy and Willis on the corner where Morley's fast food emporium now is. My father would always park down the side, and you could see horses on the paddock.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.