• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Simon J

Simon J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:06 AM

Hey guys, I was hoping you might be able to recommend a company that collects old sofas from your home? This sofa is way beyond giving to a charitable organisation & really just needs a rubbish collector. I rang Bromley but their collection service takes 7-10 days. Cheers!

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

Did you find someone to collect your sofa at all?

I need to get rid of an old metal back door. It's very heavy and it won't fit in my small car so I need someone to collect it. On the Bromley website, they only have wooden doors in their list of items they will collect.

Can anyone recommend someone who will collect this sort of stuff please?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

I am guessing you don't live in Lambeth - They will collect bulky items for free

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

So I gather. Unfortunately, Bromley operate a less than generous scheme where it costs £25 minimum to get them to collect large items.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Simon J

Simon J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

We ended up forking out £25 to Bromley I'm afraid!

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hi guys,

We have a metal back door that we need to dispose of and are looking for an alternative to the council who take forever to arrange.

Some places seem to have a minimum charge of £40, which seems a lot for one door. Does anyone know of anyone, company or individual, who collects this sort of thing and doesn't charge the earth? The big waste disposal companies seem expensive to me so hoping to find a cheap local Steptoe-type person!

Please let me know if you have any contacts.

Thanks,

Mel
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:11 AM

I think the area is a bit short on the rag and bone men!
Is it something that someone could sell on? a junk shop may take it off your hands if they could make some cash out of it. Or you could try putting it on The Gumtree, Its amazing what people will buy....

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:28 AM

Ah rag and bone men. They were the days!

To be honest, I'm not really looking to make a profit, just get rid of the thing as soon as poss. It's been hanging around for a while now and I was kind of hoping to get rid of it before my mum comes to visit this weekend as I know she'll pass comment on the fact that it's still sitting in the garden :D . However, I resent paying a fortune to dispose of it. I'm happy to pay £20 but £40 seems a bit ridiculous to me for one item.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy it as although it's a horrible metal thing and the double glazing on it is failing.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

Have you tried scrap metal merchants? There's one in Portland Road, South Norwood - it's not far down on the left hand side I think. They should be listed in Yellow Pages. I guess they are really interested in more valuable metals but might just take it off your hands, or suggest somewhere else. Worth asking I suppose!
aka Pie

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Sylvester. Will give that a whirl.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

We have items that need to be removed, including an old oven and kitchen cupboards, off cuts of travertine tiles and an old extractor hood. Has anyone found a Steptoe since this thread was first started?! Croydon council are particularly fussy about what they take!

Thanks for your help