• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 01:00 AM

A copy of the Evening News map showing the V1s that hit Penge can be viewed currently on eBay.

#17 Steve Palmer

Steve Palmer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:07 PM

Local Authorities also maintained bomb maps, most of which I believe are still available, as they administered compensation for bomb damage.

I presume you have looked at these?

#18 Tony Scorpio

Tony Scorpio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

Very interesting subject. My dad was in Norwood during the war with his 2 brothers and the youngest used to sit in the loft as a look out for the V1 bombs. My dad used to do a paper round in the mornings and take a bottle of water with him to cool the shrapnell as he collected it. My grandfather was a photographer and we have man6y pictures of the aftermath of when these bombs dropped.

Some bright spark in Germany decided to fuel these things all the same so the range was constant and I think that is why so many landed on South London.

All the best

Tony

#19 foxy

foxy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

I read somewhere that British spies got the message to the Germans that the flying bombs were over-reaching their targhets and falling on north London. Because the Germans wanted to hit central London they reduced the amount of fuel on board, and south London bore the brunt. Apparently…

#20 Kee_y2k

Kee_y2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:37 AM

Found a webpage today whilst looking for something else ...typicla eh? This time it was interesting!
http://www.flyingbom...ntent_se20.html
I hope this hasn't already been posted :unsure:

#21 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:50 AM

And we complain about the weather! The summer of 1944 must have been a tough time round this area . . .

(PS Welcome to VN Kee)

#22 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:13 AM

If you are interested in the V1's/V2's in the area my website at www.flyingbombsandrockets.com carries details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well spotted, but I think you will find the web site is by the person that started this topic as part of their original research!

European.vote - EU Referendum

#23 Paddy Pantsdown

Paddy Pantsdown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:19 PM

Local historian Joan Alcock has just published "Sydenham & Forest Hill - a guide" which has some eyewitness accounts on V2s falling - particulary the one that prematurely exploded over Sydenham High School.

Lots of copies at the Kirkdale Bookshop:
Tempus Publishing
ISBN 075434063 - £14.99

#24 anerleymartin

anerleymartin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hi - I've often wondered at the buildings in the crystal palace triangle. Apart from the White Hart and Foresters Hall most of the other buildings seem quite drab considering the history of the crystal palace. Was the triangle bombed during the war?

I'd expect to see something similar to somewhere like Crouch End.

http://www.totaltrav...-end-clock3.jpg

Edited by James, 20 March 2007 - 10:21 AM.
Removed Inline Image

#25 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

No as far as I know the Triangle escaped bombing. Most of the buildings are in fact 19th century, with a few new developments such as around Iceland and in Church Road (the flats on the inner side) where old churches and other buildings were demolished. Some of the properties in Westow Street show what a difference some renovation and loving care can make.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#26 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

I understand that some of the properties in Woodland Hill were distroyed during WWII - however I did not manage to get any information on this. These have been replaced by the Paxton Primary School in the 80s (I think) ... but don't quote me on this as I am still "investigating" the issue
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#27 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

properties in Highland Road and Lunham Road were destroyed by bombs, and when I was about 1 year old my family were bombed out of Colby Road plus I think there was quite a bit of damage in faquhar Road

#28 chris_thomas

chris_thomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hi

If you look at the Sydenham Town forum there is a copy of a map of some of the bombs damage to Sydenham
and some personal reminiscences.

http://forum.sydenha...2f5577a80f16e11

Also I know the bbc website has done a series called the People's War, one example of a story is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../a6833081.shtml

If you are looking to publish an article on the flying bombs I woulsd be very interested in publishing it in the Palace Magazine.

Best regards

Chris Thomas
Publisher
The Palace Magazine
www.the-palace-mag.co.uk
chris@the-palace-mag.co.uk
Chris Thomas
www.palacemag.co.uk

#29 chris_thomas

chris_thomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

I think the Triangle escaped the bombs of the War but not the bulldozers of the town planners!.

For an aerial view of the triangle in 1928 which is a bit ofa squint look at:

http://www.francisfr...ace_AF21376.htm

Or for more recent drawings look at " Crystal Palace - Norwood Heights2 by Audrey Hammond and Brian Dann availabel from Bookseller Crow.

Best regards

Chris Thomas
Publisher
The Palace Magazine
www/the-palace-mag.co.uk
chris@the-palace-mag.co.uk
Chris Thomas
www.palacemag.co.uk

#30 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

My mother's family live(d) in Bradley Road, right opposite the 'green,' the little semi circle of grass halfway down the road. Apparently at one point a bomb landed nearby, blowing the door clean off it's hinges. The door still survives today, even with the stained glass window, albeit with one bit of glass fractured cleanly in half.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.