• This topic is locked This topic is locked
128 replies to this topic

#1 woodland

woodland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

we have used the garage on cawnpore street for the past few years, however it has now been closed.

can anyone recommend a good reliable garage within the gipsy hill area, as the car is due its mot next week.

many thanks

#2 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

I would still recommend Queens Motors in Penge - see

http://www.virtualno...=Southern Panel

#3 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

I'm really gutted about Auto Clinic closing, they did a great job on my recent MOT. All the rear seatbelts put back nice. let me leave them the spare keys. If anyone at Auto Clinic reads this, you've got a loyal fanbase, if you start something in the area, let us all know.
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#4 groovy_bob

groovy_bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

does anyone know of a reliable, non cowboy local garage on par with Auto Clinic, between Crystal Palace and the West End?

cheers ;)

#5 cat17

cat17

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

I used to use A M Motors in Herne Hill up until a few years ago. They are practically opposite Herne Hill Station and a shortish walk to Brixton. I used them quite a lot (MOTs and repairs) and never felt I was being ripped off.

#6 Pants

Pants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

Has anyone used Autocar Repairs on Rosendale Road, West Dulwich? They seem pretty good from their website.

http://www.autocar-repairs.co.uk/

I'm looking to get my 9 year old Peugeot serviced and now that Auto Clinic off Gipsy Hill is no more, I'm looking for a good local garage.

#7 rommany_rich

rommany_rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

I've just had my third experience of croxted road motors (the one opposite the plant nursery place).

While it wasn't free, I thought it was good value. I have a very old merc, so I need a garage to help me find economical ways of keeping it going (without leaving me stranded on the side of a motorway).

Rich

#8 LauraH

LauraH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

Some of the mechanics from Auto Clinic are working at Alton Motors on Norwood High Street since the Auto Clinic closure. I have just had an MOT done there and received a good service. :)

#9 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

We too can recommend Queens Motos in Penge - have used them several times since AutoClinic closed - for MOTs and other work - and have been really impressed with their straightforward approach and attention to detail.

Edited by Rosehip, 17 November 2006 - 11:11 PM.

#10 uk72

uk72

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

Has anybody used the Autocentre on Elmers End Road? I get money off an MOT and Service with my AA membership, but wondered whether anyone recommends it.

#11 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

Autocentre are just another chain so they are only as good as the current staff are. I used them once when they were Lex (and I was with the AA) but didn't go back as they forgot to sign and stamp the MOT cert.

Last few years I have used A & J Bull who are on Bell Green Lane near the Sydendam savacentre - they have now signed up to some franchise but they are independently managed and have always done a good job for me.

#12 dixie

dixie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:34 AM

My little mini is needing attention and is stuck outside my flat in CP.

Does anyone know of a good garage or mobile mechanic? I've used a few garages around here, but would be interested to hear other opinions.

Thanks.

#13 360 Degrees

360 Degrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

Hi

A good (honest) mechanic is so hard to find! I do not know if it is just me but I think a lot of mechanics see a woman coming and automatically want to rip you off... Anyway!

I have been using these guys for about 4 years now for MOT and they are brilliant and I highly recommend them:

Knighton Motors Ltd
153-161 Sydenham Road
London
SE26 5HB.
telephone: 020 87783109

It is situated on the left hand side going down towards Lower Sydenham, look out for the old petrol station that is now a hand car wash, the MOT part is in the same entrance but over to the left hand side of the site. Plus you can get your car washed when you have finished!

For general mechanic stuff, I can highly recommend a mobile mechanic called 'Mark'. He will come to you armed with his van full of tools and other things that fix cars. I (possibly) had some of the dodgy fuel earlier in the year and my car came grinding to a halt, Mark swiftly arrived, found the fault (burnt out coil pack and spark plugs) and came back the same night to fix all the bits back together so I could drive off home. He is very competitive and is a true gentleman, so (ladies) do not be afraid of being ripped off or fobbed off with bad work and expensive labour. He is based locally and can be reached on his mobile: 07961 128 289. Five Stars to Mark! *****
Julie Laughton - 360 Degrees - Improving Every Angle of Your Life. Property Maintenance Solutions, Lifestyle Management Services and Project Management for your Home Improvement Projects. Visit My Website Email for Info

#14 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hi there. Has anyone used A M Motors in Herne Hill recently? It's on my commuter route so would be wonderful if some could recommend it - always best to go on recommendation! Cheers :)

#15 danielm

danielm

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can recommend a local garage for solving engine problems. My car is currently suffering from what seems like occasional misfires, which could have many causes, e.g. choke problems, partly blocked fuel filter, and engine computer problems. In the past, I've suffered with garages that don't diagnose this type of problem fully, and replace the wrong parts then charge for the 'privilege'. I'd like a solid recommendation of a garage which is good at diagnosing this type of problem, if anyone knows of one.