• This topic is locked This topic is locked
128 replies to this topic

#91 fungigirl

fungigirl

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

I would also like say how pleased I am with Alton Motors, phoned this morning for a MOT got an appointment for 1pm at 1:45 was all done and dusted not even an advisory, nice normal blokes who didn't talk to me like I was a div. :)

#92 lamb

lamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

Could anybody recommend someone who does bodywork repairs? A very kind soul has scraped down the side of my car.

#93 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

Could anybody recommend someone who does bodywork repairs? A very kind soul has scraped down the side of my car.

The garage on Bedwardine Rd (just behind Sainsburys) specializes in that kind of stuff. The guy is a total misery guts, but he is actually good and cheap, just don't be put of by his manners, or better said the lack of any... :rolleyes:

#94 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

K & G Autos in Oak Grove Road, Penge, shares the same row of garage buildings as Roy Randall's (which recommended them to us). They did a nice job for us on some minor scrapes and scratches - and judging by the other smashed-up cars lined up outside, they take on some pretty major jobs.

#95 happykate

happykate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

I would just like to add another recommendation for K & G Autos in Oak Grove Road, Penge.

I took my poor car in for a new power steering pump, fan belt and some sort of pulley that had fallen off. I was shocked with the cheap price they charged for labour. Fantastic. Plus they are really nice guys. I would definitely recommend.

#96 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

HI there,
Does anyone know if Queens Autos on the Oakfield Road Industrial Estate in SE20 is still trading? I have called several times over the last couple of weeks to fix up an MOT but had no answer.
We've had our cars serviced there for 5 or so years (since the garage in Cawnpore St closed down) very successfully - excellent service, always helpful and straightforward - so will be very sad if they are no longer operating.
Thanks,
Rosehip

#97 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

No idea, but I have been going to Alton Motors in West Norwood and find them very good. You usually get an MOT done the next day of calling and it's close to the 432 which brings you straight up the hill again :-)))

Alton Motors (London) Ltd
78 Norwood High Street,
London SE27 9NW
020 8670 4343 or
020 8670 2082

#98 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

HI there,
Does anyone know if Queens Autos on the Oakfield Road Industrial Estate in SE20 is still trading? I have called several times over the last couple of weeks to fix up an MOT but had no answer.
We've had our cars serviced there for 5 or so years (since the garage in Cawnpore St closed down) very successfully - excellent service, always helpful and straightforward - so will be very sad if they are no longer operating.
Thanks,
Rosehip

That's strange. I was there just before Christmas so they were open then. I've also used them for the past 5 years and like the service. When I was there last month, I noticed that Kevin (the manager) wasn't about and the little name sign he had on the counter had gone so don't know if he's left.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#99 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have had a particually bad experience with a well-known national garage brand in West Norwood.

My car was there for around 5 weeks, and when it came out it was towed out to another, more competent garage, since it would still not move under it's own steam.

Not only that, but I am STILL £360 out of pocket.

In complete contrast - we finally took our Punto to Firela Motors. Not exactly Norwood - but they had the car back to us the next day with no problems. Communication with Firela was excellent - again in complete contrast to other certain garages.

http://www.firela-motors.co.uk

#100 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Another thumbs up for Alton Motors, they give a very good service - and half-price MOT with the full service!
aka Pie

#101 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Did anyone establish whether Queens was still in business? My MOT and service is due next month so if not, I'll have to start looking elsewhere.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#102 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Queen's definitely not operating now, sadly.
But a belated recommendation from me for Alton Motors (thanks, Miss P and everyone else for the heads up) who were efficient and professional - and bent over backwards to meet a tight deadline in getting the car MOT-ed for me. We'd use them again.
R

#103 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Rosehip. I'll book my car in at Alton then instead.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#104 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Despite Ziwa's reservations about its prime corner spot at 41 Penge High Street, Discount Tyres came to my rescue yesterday when I burst a tyre exiting between the too-tight new width restrictors on our car park, fitting a reconditioned tyre in double-quick time for just £15. Kevin, who's just taken over the business with his cousin, is a mechanic par excellence, having learnt at his father's knee from a boy. He can turn his hand to everything, car-wise, he tells me, not just tyres, and offers a 24-hour breakdown service too! Call him on 020-8659-1058/07771-418651.

Edited by GillW, 01 July 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#105 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

hmm....what happened to my reply here? It wasn't contentious (or even all that information rich) but it seems to have been edited out for no apparent reason. Hmmm.....