• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

I'd like to learn to drive in Crystal Palace, or somewhere quite nearby (preferably somewhere really quiet as I'm very nervous about learning!). Can anyone recommend any instructors?

Also, what is a typical price for a lesson? I've seen a company advertising 30 lessons for £575 which seems like quite a good deal, but I have no point for comparison.

Bee

#2 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hi Bee
At the tender age of 34 (yes I postponed it for a full 17 years due to general terror of all things vehicle related!!) I have just passed my test with Giovanni Proto who is a terrific instructor. I learned privately with him for around 10 months. He charges around £20 an hour - or at least thats what he charged me but new pupils may differ slightly - and generally books new learners for a 2 hour lesson which in my opinion is the only way to learn even if the costs seem steep. So 10 lessons would be £400. (or thats 20 hours). Whatever you may think of this cost I found this incredibly reasonable for the quality of teaching I received and 2 hours back to back is far better than one hour a week.

Giovanni is really patient, terrific with nervous pupils but pushes you to make progress. He is good at getting to know your strengths and weaknesses and teaches you accordingly.

Dont be afraid take the plunge - his number is 07956 487549 and I know he has recently taught some incredibly nervous pupils including me (I wouldnt get behind the wheel even after I passed my test - but he took me out in my partner's car for a post test lesson and Im fine now!).If you do call him tell him Chrissy recommended him!

Good luck!!

#3 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

Thanks very much for the advice Chrissy! Glad to hear I'm not the only nervous learner.

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

I know this has cropped up before, but it was a while ago and I am after some more up to date advice.

Can anyone recommend a driving instructor?

I am not after a bargain - just someone good and pleasant. And, it goes without saying, patient!
Rachel
My link

#5 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Last year I learnt to drive with a lovely chap called Bob who worked for a company called Lanes (sorry not sure of url). I did cheat though and learnt to drive in an automatic - well, with all these hills around here, it seemed the best option! He was very patient and charged, I think, £20-21 an hour, with a discount for booking in bulk. I passed on second attempt whilst I was nearly 8 months pregnant, so I think he did a great job! :blink:

#6 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

Thanks. I will look into that. I think I have see Lanes cars driving around.

I learned about 14 years ago when I was a postgrad, failed the test and ran out of money for more lessons. That was in Oxford. I am not looking forward to learning in London, but am under duress from my husband!
Rachel
My link

#7 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

I know this has cropped up before, but it was a while ago and I am after some more up to date advice.

Can anyone recommend a driving instructor?

I am not after a bargain - just someone good and pleasant. And, it goes without saying, patient!

See Chrissy's glowing recommendation above! But I happen to know that Giovanni is in Italy until 22nd August.
aka Pie

#8 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

Ah so I could delay things further!
Rachel
My link

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

Well I believe he already has one other VN learner signed up for a lesson on his return... and I passed my test in 197? so it's not me!

Edited by Sylvester, 09 August 2006 - 02:49 PM.

aka Pie

#10 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

I'm sure Id' fail my test if I had to take it now. All this theory business would confuddle me for sure! Thank goodness I did mine in 1992 when you just had to drive round for a bit and do a couple of manoeuvres!

Good luck to all learners - I am a very tolerant driver behind cars with L plates - I have never, ever forgotten that I was once a learner too.

Useless info: In Wales you can have an L plate when learning or a D plate, the D means "dysgwr" which is Welsh for learner - pronounced "duskear"!!

Here endeth Welsh lesson!

#11 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

Have finally taken the plunge and booked a lesson with Giovanni! Eek!
Rachel
My link

#12 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

RachelF, relax - you are in very safe hands there. You might even find you enjoy it! :) Hope it goes well anyway.
aka Pie

#13 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

Thanks, Sylvester!
Rachel
My link

#14 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

Hello

Can anyone suggest a good driving instructor in the CP area?
I learnt to drive in Germany and in the 8 years I've lived in London I've never driven. After giving my boyfriend the fright of his life on my first driving attempt yesterday I think it might be a good idea to have a little refresher lesson to get used to London driving.....

Any suggestions greatly appreciated before I do any damage!

Many thanks

Silke
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#15 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

I have been learning with Giovanni for a few months now (am a slow learner!) - see above. I would definitely recommend him. Not sure if he has space, but definitely worth asking.
Rachel
My link