• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#31 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thanks. I will look into that. I think I have see Lanes cars driving around.

I learned about 14 years ago when I was a postgrad, failed the test and ran out of money for more lessons. That was in Oxford. I am not looking forward to learning in London, but am under duress from my husband!

That's exactly what happened to me! I'm going to do it now though - 12 years on! Got to go through the theory test etc all over again :(
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#32 ebyss

ebyss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Has anyone had any recent experience with driving instructors in and around Crystal Palace?

I notice the last reply was from about a year and a half ago...

Any new recommendations? :)

#33 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Has anyone had any recent experience with driving instructors in and around Crystal Palace?

I notice the last reply was from about a year and a half ago...

Any new recommendations? :)

Hi ebyss,

Not that recent but I had some refresher lessons with Giovanni (07956 487549) last December and can definitely recommend him.

I hadn't driven for nearly 20 years but his patience gave me my confidence back within 4 lessons, so much so that I undertook a successful solo drive from Yorkshire to London soon after.

Good luck with the driving whoever you choose :)

#34 ebyss

ebyss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hi ebyss,

Not that recent but I had some refresher lessons with Giovanni (07956 487549) last December and can definitely recommend him.

I hadn't driven for nearly 20 years but his patience gave me my confidence back within 4 lessons, so much so that I undertook a successful solo drive from Yorkshire to London soon after.

Thanks for the fresh[er] vote for Giovanni - I'll give him a bell to check availability and prices. I got as far as passing my theory earlier in the month, so am ready to roll!

Edited by ebyss, 21 October 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#35 ebyss

ebyss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hi ebyss,

Giovanni's all booked up, so no joy there... :(

#36 Lailey

Lailey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Hi there!

I'm Ollie, a fully qualified independent driving instructor for 5 years and live in Crystal Palace. I'm very patient and flexible when it comes to working hours. I charge 20 per lesson but can give discounts on block bookings. You can have a look at my website www.laileydrivertuition.com or just give me a call on 07812191688. I have lived in the Crystal Palace/Penge/Beckenam area my whole life (30 years) and have a great knowledge of the local area and test centres in South East London.

Hope it's not too forward recommending myself!

#37 Andy_M

Andy_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hi

I can really recommend Lailey (post above I believe) as I have recently learned to drive with Ollie. I am 32, and had never had any driving experience before, but managed to pass first time which is great credit to him (as well as me!). Is very useful being taught by someone very local as lessons either started at my flat (Grange Road), CP train station or elsewhere depending on what was convenient for me. He also has an encyclopedic knowledge of a very wide area of SE London so practised in a lot of areas and were able to find alternative areas when traffic was v bad (most of my lessons were weekday evenings).

Is certainly challenging to learn to drive in a very hilly, busy part of London so definitely need a good instructor. Would recommend Ollie without any hesitation.

#38 janeyp

janeyp

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

I am currently learning to drive with Giovanni and cannot recommend him highly enough.

When I originally took some lessons at age 18 my then instructor terrified me so much I gave-up and resolved never again! Fast forward 22 years and I made a now or never decision to finally conquer my fears. Armed with recommendations from VN, I gave Giovanni a call and haven't looked back.

With his unwavering patience and motivation my confidence has steadily grown. And, importantly, he makes the whole experience an enjoyable one. Roll-on my test date (and I never imagined I would be in a position to say that!)

#39 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Another recommendation for Giovanni from me.

I passed a couple weeks ago (first time) after around 25 hours of lessons. He's very thorough, inspires a lot of confidence. A few days after I passed I managed a mammoth drive up from London to Cumbria and back.

Reasonably priced, and very flexible on where he picked me up from. Very glad I sought him out based on the other recommendations here.

#40 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi everyone,

After starting this topic five years ago, I have finally taken the plunge and started learning to drive. I have found a really good instructor so thought I would share her details on here. She is called Nikki and is part of Quality Drive - http://www.qualitydrive.co.uk/. She charges about £23 an hour (or £21.50 for block bookings I think). I am delighted to have found someone so calm and friendly. After putting off learning to drive for years as I was so terrified, I actually now look forward to my lessons - something I never thought would be possible.

Bee

P.S. forgot to say that she does Automatic and Manual lessons

#41 janeyp

janeyp

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

I posted a recommendation for Giovanni earlier in this thread while I was taking lessons. I have just passed my test this week and couldn't have achieved that milestone (at the age of 41) without him. It's been a long journey (excuse the pun!) overcoming my nerves, stuttering confidence and wayward gear changes! Giovanni is wonderfully patient and gets the best out of you. Oh, and he supports the best football team in the world!

Do give him a call: 07956487549.

Jane

#42 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, Jane - my boyfriend needs an instructor over this way. What does he charge and does he have a website? Did you take your test locally? I gather West Wickham is an 'easier' test centre than some because of its suburban location...?

#43 janeyp

janeyp

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi GillW,

£35 for 90-minute lessons - best money I ever spent! I live on Gipsy Hill and took my test in West Wickham where there's plenty of varied, sometimes challenging (well, for me anyway) routes to get your teeth into. I honestly don't know if Giovanni has a website, but rest assured that your boyfriend won't find a better instructor.

Jane

#44 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Good to know - thanks!

#45 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post again with an update on learning to drive with Nikki at Quality Drive. After a few months off learning because I had a baby, I recently started lessons again... and this week passed my test! I was the world's most nervous person when I started learning last year, so I'm delighted to have passed.

I found Nikki very pleasant, professional and patient, and I would recommend her to anyone.She works with her husband, so you can have a male or female instructor, if you have a preference. They both teach manual and automatic.

Bee