18 replies to this topic

#1 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

Hello all.

Being the proud owner of a black cat (who I suspect uses Grecian 2000 on the sly) and cream carpets, I am in dire need of a relaible firm to clean my carpets. Or a recommendation for good kit to do it myself (there is a thread in the archive but it ended with the poster popping round to see someone with a Which guide).

Anyone got any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance

#2 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

Being the proud owner of two very black cats, I also thought it would be a great idea to get the carpets shampooed.
The person I used was AWFUL (and I stupidly cannot remember the name of the company as I would not recommend them and would advise you to steer clear) but he did say that a shampoo won't get rid of pet hairs - and how right he was. I ended up with clumps of damp matted fur in random patches all over the carpet.
The best way to get a lot of the hair up prior to any shampooing is to rub the carpet frantically wearing rubber gloves - Sounds perverse but it certainly picks up the hair.

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

Rubber-soled shoes have the same effect. My mum has a pair she always puts on to pull up cat hair.

We are looking to buy a carpet shampooer as our cat was in a car accident a few months back and is now paraplegic and incontinent :( . We have hard floors in many parts of the house but, unfortunately the hall, stairs and landing and the main bedroom are carpeted. Previously we have hired a carpet shampooer from the dry cleaners. It's much cheaper than paying someone else to do it and they won't do a better job than you can do yourself.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

Any idea roughly how much it is to hire a carpet cleaner from the dry cleaners? I have a filthy rug that needs a clean.

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

I can't remember to be honest - I think it was maybe about £30 plus a bottle of the cleaning liquid.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

Hmm... that's more or less what I paid for the rug :huh:

#7 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I probably will just hire a machine, maybe when it cools down a bit. Or in November after the next moult. Or even next year.

#8 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have been using these guys for years and they've always been very good:

Supreme Cleaning: 0800 458 0938

Here's a scan of their most recent leaflet to give you an idea of their prices.

JGX

#9 tinpan

tinpan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hiya,

Following on from this recommendation a while ago...can anyone suggest any other carpet cleaning services they have used?

Many thanks
Tinpan.

#10 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi - I picked up a leaflet for a company at the dry cleaners at Gipsy HIll station. I asked Claire who runs it if she'd had any feedback on them & she said several customers had said they werre very good. Their no is 8771 8089/07961394376. If you end up using them would be interested to know what you think as I"m thinking about getting my hall one done.

#11 tinpan

tinpan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

ooh thanks. Will give them a ring.

#12 360 Degrees

360 Degrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

Hi

I can recommend the ever professional Kevin at Direct Cleaners who provides carpet, rug, soft furnishing and even leather / suede furniture cleaning. I have witnessed a cigarette burn mark being made (almost) invisible in a very expensive suede chair (not mine!) and several carpets that looked beyond saving being transformed by his cleaning.

He provides on the spot printed Quotations (laptop and mini printer in his bag), free advice and has a brilliant super powerful cleaning machine that is very eco friendly as it uses less chemicals to clean and more powerful brushes, sits in the van outside not in your property and I believe it even runs on bio-fuel!

Give them a call for a site visit and free Quotation. 0800 056 2332

http://www.directcleaners.com/

Happy Cleaning! Julie
Julie Laughton - 360 Degrees - Improving Every Angle of Your Life. Property Maintenance Solutions, Lifestyle Management Services and Project Management for your Home Improvement Projects. Visit My Website Email for Info

#13 Lodger

Lodger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

You should try ChemDry, they have a local office and they are good. They do carpets, upholstery and leather cleaning.
Mobile works best 07841231333

#14 toby1kenobi

toby1kenobi

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

If anyone's still looking for carpet cleaners, I've used these http://www.deepcleanco.com/ a couple of times and been very pleased with the results.

Toby

#15 beefqueen

beefqueen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Any other recent recommendations? I don't need the whole carpet cleaned but do want someone to come in and get rid of two marks (one gum and one coffee) on a two-month old carpet!

Cheers!