• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Borris the Badger

Borris the Badger

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

Recently we've started hearing something that sounds like an owl late at night. Haven't heard one for years around hear but used to have tawny owls nearby when I lived in Hamlet Road 12 years ago. Anyone else heard it?

Random thought but I remember hearing somewhere that Professor Yaffle in Bagpuss was so named because Yaffle is the Greek work for owl. If you look at any of the old videos of Bagpuss you'll see that his feet were actually nailed to the set ! Not a nice way to treat a wise old bird. :huh:

#2 CanHarry

CanHarry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

When I lived on Belvedere Road a few years back we used to hear Tawny Owls now and again so maybe there are always a few knocking about the area.

As for Bagpuss and friends, I think Yaffle is another name for a green woodpecker - but this still wouldn't make a nail through the foot any less alarming!

Edited by CanHarry, 09 July 2006 - 08:03 AM.

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

Yes tawny owls can be heard every so often in the summer months in the woods between Church Road and Auckland Road. We saw one a couple of weeks ago too.

Last autumn and winter hearing the two distinctive calls of the birds was almost a certainty on a clear night. I think there's some posts on this on the Bird Life in Norwood thread too. :)

Edited by andreas, 10 July 2006 - 07:42 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

I live in Mowbray Road off Auckland Road and hear an owl quite frequently in my garden.