• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kathryn

Kathryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

[font=Garamond][size=5] :D Hi my name is Kathryn & I'm from Australia. I am researching my family tree. I have been given an old chart which has an address for some of my relatives who lived in Cintra Park. Their surname is Brown (yeah I know a common name!!) I believe the parents names were Jesse Charles George Brown, whos wifes name was also Jessie. They had 4 daughters called Margaret, Sheila, Jean & Dorothy. All the girls married. Margaret married a Mr McWilliams, Sheila married a Mr P.E O'Sullivan, Jean married a Mr A.B.P Jones, & Dorothy married a Mr M Mackrait. All the last known addresses I have for them are in Cintra Park. I would be so greatful if anyone could offer me any information. It would be so greatly appreciated.

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

Could you provide some (approximate) dates, Kathryn? 'tis a bit needle in a haystack-like without them!
Rachel
My link

#3 Kathryn

Kathryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

thanks for the reply Rachel. The 4 girls Margaret (born 1926 & married in1953), Sheila (born1927 married in1953), Jean (born 1929 & married in 1948) & Dorothy (born 1931 & married in 1956). Does that help at all? thanks Kathryn

#4 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

Their parents might turn up in earlier census'

http://ancestry.co.uk/

otherwise try
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#5 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

Do you mean the father is called Jesse Charles George Brown, or the mother is Jesse Charles and the father George Brown?

Do you have the actual address aty Cintra Park, or any more information at all, such as the occupation of the father. The more the better!

Edited by RachelF, 10 July 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Rachel
My link

#6 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

I have checked the excerpts I have at home from street directories between 1922 and 1939 and there is no one of the name Brown listed in the road called Cintra Park. However, they could be using it as the name of the area and I will have to look at the originals in the library for other nearby roads. Also, the directories only name the principal resident, and they could have shared the house with someone else (though with 4 daughters ...!)

In view of the fact that we are talking about people who are probably still alive, I suggest you be a little careful about what you post here, and if appropriate send information privately to me and/of Rachel via the mailbox.

#7 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

I must admit, I haven't been able to find any of the family.

Just so that you know, Kathryn, I have a subsription to the UK info on the Ancestry site, which means the sources I have access to are all the UK censuses (1841-1901) plus births marriages and deaths.

There is a Jesse Charles George Brown, born 1897, Croydon, but nothing on the 1901 census, so that's not terribly enlightening. Will keep rooting around though!

Rachel

Edited by RachelF, 10 July 2006 - 02:47 PM.

Rachel
My link

#8 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

By the way, did the sisters marry in England?
Rachel
My link

#9 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

In the electoral rolls in Beckenham Library, I have found all of the people named by Kathryn except Jean Jones and her husband. From 1948 (earliest roll at Beckenham) to 1997 most of them lived at 7 Cintra Park, with the McWilliamses at No 39 in 1966-68. Dorothy MacKrait remarried Peter Reynolds circa 1988, and they both died or moved away circa 1997. The most likely living member of the family is Sheila and Patrick O'Sullivan's son, Michael, but he moved away circa 1968.

I am sending fuller details to Kathryn privately, but I include the summary above in case it jogs any memories.

#10 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:59 PM

Contrary to what I said earlier, I have now found the Browns living at 28a Cintra Park from 1937 to 1939, when the directories stopped. 28a was up the unmade track between 28 and Patterson Rd which is now called Rama Lane (anyone know where the name comes from?) It now has two houses built circa 2001 around the spot of 28a, plus the scout hut/pre-school. The earlier house is shown on pre-1900 maps and from the electoral rolls was last occupied in 1991. Did anyone explore this road before then and can tell us what it looked like?

#11 Lilian

Lilian

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:51 PM

It's a long shot, but I'd suggest trying www.genesreunited.com.

I've just registered and found a 6th cousin in America who has researched my dad's side of the family tree back to the late 1600's!

#12 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:30 AM

Yes, I have found Genesreunited well worth the (small) yearly subscription, and have been able to fill in a few gaps in knowledge, particularly with my father's side where I found a 2nd cousin who has been very helpful. Ancestry is more expensive but I've found that worthwhile too, just for the easy access to census info. It's not worth subscribing until you've got more leads a little further back, though.

#13 Kathryn

Kathryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

:) Thanks for the advice. I am already a member of genes reunited & hit a deadend there! Then I happened upon this site which has proven to be very helpful!! Thanks people!!!

#14 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

I expect most of the paid-for genealogy sites have a similar facility for members. Ancestry's free sister, RootsWeb, has bulletin boards. A new free service at LostCousins will do the same thing if you can provide a starting point in the 1881 census. CuriousFox is another people-finder site, but doesn't get much traffic related to this area. It has a, well, curious, subscription arrangement if you want to receive replies.

In London we are blessed (?) with a number of VN-like local area message boards, all vying for advertising revenue. I suspect most of them have small readerships, but it might be worth putting basic details of who you're looking for on all of them. A few I found with Google:

My Anerley My Penge and other areas.
Anerley.org = Penge.org These are new sites with not much content yet.
Communigate is run by Newsquest newspapers and has pages for residents' associations and similar groups. (Caution: there seems to be no way to log off Communigate sites! So don't post there from a public access computer.)
UKVillages is another possibility, but doesn't seem to have much traffic on its Notice Boards.

Cintra Park and thereabouts are a bit of an enigma from this point of view -- though officially in the Anerley sub-district of what was Penge Urban District Council, they have a Norwood postcode, so it may be necessary to do several areas.

A plethora of links for genealogists and local historians will be found in CyndisList Cyndi's List and A2A.

#15 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

www.anerley.org.uk / www.penge.org.uk are managed by Stuart, who also looks after Sydenham Town http://www.sydenham.org.uk/

European.vote - EU Referendum