Photo

Nim's Kitchen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

2. Good (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Average (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Nim's Kitchen
7 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1TQ
Open Tuesday to Saturday 12pm-3pm and 6pm-10pm
Open Sunday 12pm-3pm
Closed Monday

Web: www.nimskitchen.com
Email: nim@nimskitchen.com
Phone: 0871 811 1465

#2 Isabelle

Isabelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

Visited Nim's Kitchen for the first time last night. We were the only people in there (as we were in Mehfil the other week - maybe it's us?!) which was a bit of a shame, but we thought we'd be brave as someone has to be the first to go in! This is why I couldn't really give it an 'excellent' rating, as obviously the atmosphere could have been better. Also not helped by the dreadful karaoke emanating from the Hollybush over the road!

Service was good - the people in there seem very nice and friendly. If they can keep that up when the restaurant is busy, then they'll be an improvement on Mu Mu!

Food was also very good. We shared a platter of starters, which was a little more varied than the usual you get in Thai restaurants. Highlights were some very flavoursome fishcakes and some melt-in-the-mouth spare ribs. My boyfriend then had the beef mussaman curry (waiter recommended the best meat to go with the sauce) which he polished off happily, and I had an aubergine chilli thing (very technical, I know) and egg noodles. Aubergines were tender and delicious, and the noodles were fine, but I was so full from the starter I couldn't eat very much of them.

Not sure if another Thai can survive in an area where Tamnag rules the roost, and there are two others besides that on the same street, but it's sad to see a restaurant with such good service and tasty food empty. Give it a try today! Or tomorrow if you're busy.

#3 Richard Williams

Richard Williams

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

Went Nim's on Saturday night and we were very impressed. Staff were very pleasant and the food fantastic. Also the price was very reasonable.Well worth a visit.

#4 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

I put a review on here before but it disappeared - ah well. Been in here twice so far. Both times it was rather empty but I think they are in with a better chance of getting customers now that we are back down to 3 Thai restaurants in the immediate area. Very friendly service, food good, veggie menu could have a slightly wider choice but overall, it's a nice enough place and I'd return again.

Edited by elleme, 04 August 2006 - 10:03 AM.

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

I enjoyed a lovely evening at Nim's last night. It was our first visit and I'd highly recommend it -- the food was delicious and the service charming. But the main reason I'm prompted to write this review was something altogether more important. Shortly after we arrived, a large party was seated on a nearby table and when the lady I now know to be Nim entered the dining room from the kitchen, they burst into a chorus of Happy Birthday and presented her with flowers and gifts. She was clearly touched. When I congratulated her myself and asked whether the party of people were friends or family, she told me that her family had all died. I was confused at first, thinking that she was referring to older relatives, perhaps her parents. But she went on to explain that she had lost her husband and three children in the tsunami. I know that this is an unorthodox restaurant review, but it strikes me that there can be few better reasons to support a local business than this -- a woman who admits that she does not know how she gets up every morning, but somehow does, and runs a wonderful restaurant into the bargain. She deserves your custom.

Edited by GillW, 03 March 2007 - 08:03 AM.

#6 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

Yes, she told me the same one day (we were talking about increasing frequency of weird weather at the time). She's such a nice woman and I admire her ability to carry on.

And while I'm here I should say something about the restaurant - they do a good lunch menu, with more choice for vegetarians.

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

We went to Nim's last night and were completely delighted. Top to bottom the event was perfect. The food was fantastic, and I'd recommend every dish (we had starters of chicken satay, which was very nice, though a normal dish these days, and a squid salad with great combination of flavours of lemongrass, chili, mint, then on to a green curry with chicken (very tender, freshly done, only slight disappointment is they use peas instead of those tiny bitter marble sized eggplants), the aubergine dish with chilis (aubergines were absolutely perfectly cooked - not sloppy mess, not chewy bitter, but a work of art) and the pork with dark mushrooms and bean sauce). The bowl of shrimp crackers was nice and warm and very crispy. OK, the house wine was a bit sweeter than I usually drink....you might want to order something besides the house offering.

The service was excellent, with timings right on everything, and all interactions were gracious and unobtrusive. We felt very welcomed.

The decor is very nice. From the outside it looks like it might be a bit plain (in comparison with the exuberance of Tamang Thai or the fun faux garden of SouthEast) but inside it is a well-decorated, calm, nice space.

Our friend said she thought it among the best Thai food she's outside of Thailand, where she has benn many times. I'd go again in a flash.

Relative ranking? Although I've enjoyed my meals at the other 2 Thai restaraunts and Mangosteen, this is my fav.

#8 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

Had a lovely meal on Tuesday evening. The restaurant was empty (but so were many others). We had starters and main course and a couple of beers. At 31 it didn't break the bank. The food was nicely presented, subtly flavoured, and the service was excellent. I would definitely eat there again. Plus points - very hot plates and range of spiciness. Minus points - the physical appearance of the menu is almost in the style of greasy spoon - they should present it in a more upmarket format; the decor could be improved with Thai decoration and with use of candles. Both of these could be achieved at minimal cost. Definitely recommended!

#9 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

Nim's might not be the most up-market or fancily decorated of the Triangle's various Thai places, but imho it's certainly the tastiest. The food is really nice and light, and it's excellent value - a good place to stop for lunch as well. Rarely does a fortnight pass without my popping in at least once, even if it's only for takeaway.

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

we had another very nice meal at Nims...The Tom Kha soup was incredibly rich and velvety and very fresh. I think the best I've had (but I do like rich foods and flavours). The veggie tempura starter was nothin' special, but then after it arrived I realised its not a dish that can be up to much generally anyway. We had a curried duck (great) and a pork salad (Laab) which tasted fantastic and foreign - like a trip to a far away land. Do try this place - its lovely.

#11 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:45 PM

I visited Nim's Kitchen and was very impressed with the food and especially the service.

The only thing that surprised me was the food was served with a knife and fork, when I'd have prepared chopsticks (mind you, I don't look the sort who can use them anyway!) but I am not going to let that detract from what is a really friendly, quality restaurant.
Love The Triangle...

#12 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I've closed this thread and started a new one for the new name here: Thai Crystal.
I remember calling them a few months ago and them saying the name was going to stay as Nim's kitchen, but oh well, if their signs changed out front I guess that's it!

I've moved the last couple of posts to the new restaurant review thread. Other members are encouraged to vote and review over at the new thread if you've eaten under the new name.

PS. While on the subject of alcohol, don't forget about the upcoming VN Social.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at