Pet Pheromones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

Put this here as I did not wnt to get Edgar's hopes up but James does this odourless contentment vapour you write about work on humans?

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

Feliway can help Tippi. It is an odourless 'room freshener' that contains facial pheremones and helps to make cats feel more contented. You can normally find them cheapest on eBay. More information from http://www.feliway.com/

From the Feliway web site FAQs...

What are pheromones?
Pheromones are extremely widespread in the animal kingdom and are used to communicate between members of the same species. Thus, the pheromones given off by one individual can affect and change the behaviour of other individuals of the same species. Examples of pheromones with which pet owners will already be familiar are the sex pheromones of dogs and cats. In addition to making the bitch or queen more attractive to the male when they are in season they can also influence territorial marking, aggression, etc.

What pheromone is in Feliway® and is this safe to humans?
The pheromones in Feliway® are nature identical to the familiarisation facial pheromones that cats use to mark objects in their environment. As pheromones are species-specific, feline pheromones will have no effect on humans. The actual concentration of pheromone in the air at any one time is tiny.

Will Feliway® have any effect on other pets?
Pheromones are species specific and no negative effect on other pets is to be expected.

Should you use the device if you suffer from asthma?
In addition to the pheromone content, Feliway® contains a paraffin-type mineral oil of a kind common to other air freshener devices. We are not aware of specific problems for asthma sufferers from such devices, however if you consider yourself to be particularly sensitive, or have had problems when using similar devices in the past, then we advise you to use the device only after consulting with your GP.

Is Feliway® safe to use if you are pregnant?
The Feliway® Diffuser is safe to use if you are pregnant.

Can I use the Feliway® Diffuser in the same room as a plug in air freshener?
Yes - But beware that some strong smelling air fresheners and deodorisers can upset sensitive cats.

More from http://www.feliway.uk.com/

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

Put this here as I did not wnt to get Edgar's hopes up but James does this odourless contentment vapour you write about work on humans?

Silver, if you're being serious (and I suspect not!) it would be a great marketing idea. Trouble is, not everyone responds to the same ones. :) :(
aka Pie

#4 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

There's a similar product available for our canine friends too - the DAP (or Dog Appeasing) Diffuser - again it is species-specific, as the phermone released mimics the substance released by lactating females. I've had many friends use it for their dogs that suffer from things such as separation anxiety.

For humans, you could try good old Rescue Remedy from Boots to help with anxiety?
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#5 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:03 PM

Feliway is fabulous. It has calmed down our bully boy cat no end and has seemed to sort our female cat's "lady infection" in the nether regions, which is normally caused by stress!