25 replies to this topic

#16 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi
we're looking to get some bifold doors fitted, we like aluminium although the cost may be prohibitive so we're looking at wood too (preferably white).
Can anyone recommend any companies, preferably local but would travel further afield if neccessary.
Thanks

#17 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Internal or external ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#18 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi Dazza
They are external - they'll be opening from kitchen to garden.
Thanks

#19 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi Peggysue

I have just started a new business in conjunction with an experienced company who have nearly 20 years of experience who specialize in thermal efficient new builds but have just moved into the refurbishment side of things.

We offer a free consultation service so feel free to contact me on 07970 194116 we have recently installed some Alu bifold doors in Woodside so if you wish to have a look at the quality of our finish i would be happy to supply these details. However we also have professional joiners on our force so that is not a problem either.

The name of our company is called A.K Assistance Ltd who have been trading for over 17 years we are also a NHBC Registered house builder.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#20 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post in (mods - pls move this if nec).

I'm looking for someone to provide and fix a damper onto the main communal entrance door to our house. I don't know if this is a general diy job or whether we need a skilled joiner/carpenter.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks

#21 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post in (mods - pls move this if nec).

I'm looking for someone to provide and fix a damper onto the main communal entrance door to our house. I don't know if this is a general diy job or whether we need a skilled joiner/carpenter.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks

As an addition, I just called dulwichhandyman.co.uk to see if this was the sort of thing they'd do. Although it is, my lack of technical knowledge on the subject appeared to irritate the man on the other end as he put the phone down in the middle of the conversation.

Can anyone recommend a patient individual who could help with this job please?

#22 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

As an addition, I just called dulwichhandyman.co.uk to see if this was the sort of thing they'd do. Although it is, my lack of technical knowledge on the subject appeared to irritate the man on the other end as he put the phone down in the middle of the conversation.

Can anyone recommend a patient individual who could help with this job please?

JMH

Sorry to hear of your experience with the handyman, but I do not understand why you need a 'damper' in your front door? Dampers / more usually known as fire rated dampers, are normally used in duct work for ventilation and on grilles through fire rated doors or walls. Neither of which applies to a front door.

Are you sure it is a damper you require and not something else, which could be causing the confusion.

#23 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

JMH

Sorry to hear of your experience with the handyman, but I do not understand why you need a 'damper' in your front door? Dampers / more usually known as fire rated dampers, are normally used in duct work for ventilation and on grilles through fire rated doors or walls. Neither of which applies to a front door.

Are you sure it is a damper you require and not something else, which could be causing the confusion.

Hi Andy,

Yes I'm probably confused! :rolleyes:
What I'm looking for is something to stop a communal entrance door from slamming. It's shuts too easily at the moment so we need something to control the speed at which it shuts whilst still retaining security i.e. the door fully closes behind you.

I was under the impression this was called a damping system but it sounds like I'm mistaken. Perhaps a 'door closing system' might be a better description?

#24 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

Hi Andy,

Yes I'm probably confused! :rolleyes:
What I'm looking for is something to stop a communal entrance door from slamming. It's shuts too easily at the moment so we need something to control the speed at which it shuts whilst still retaining security i.e. the door fully closes behind you.

I was under the impression this was called a damping system but it sounds like I'm mistaken. Perhaps a 'door closing system' might be a better description?

Aha JMH..!!

I did think you where slightly confused with your terminology. What you require is an overhead door closer, which is very simple for a carpenter to fit. It is quite simply a spring, located in a square metal box that is screwed to the top of the door,(either side, but with your front door should really be inside) and connects to the frame by way of an thin metal arm which is screwed to the frame. For a carpenter to install, it should be very straight forward depending on the door, and how close the architraves are to the frame etc. It can also be adjusted to operate slowly or fast, again depending on the weight of the door and how fast you want it to operate.

You have more then likely have them in your place of work, (nearly always on toilet lobby doors) but never noticed them. Google a hardware / ironmongery website and they will be located on there. Again they are very simple for a carpenter to fit, but I would be wary of recommending someone not familiar with them to install.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Andy, 21 March 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#25 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

Aha JMH..!!

I did think you where slightly confused with your terminology. What you require is an overhead door closer, which is very simple for a carpenter to fit. It is quite simply a spring, located in a square metal box that is screwed to the top of the door,(either side, but with your front door should really be inside) and connects to the frame by way of an thin metal arm which is screwed to the frame. For a carpenter to install, it should be very straight forward depending on the door, and how close the architraves are to the frame etc. It can also be adjusted to operate slowly or fast, again depending on the weight of the door and how fast you want it to operate.

You have more then likely have them in your place of work, (nearly always on toilet lobby doors) but never noticed them. Google a hardware / ironmongery website and they will be located on there. Again they are very simple for a carpenter to fit, but I would be wary of recommending someone not familiar with them to install.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much Andy. You're a star! :D

#26 new_boy_in_town

new_boy_in_town

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Anyone know where I can get replacement hardwood (not PVC), double-glazed sliding patio doors? The whole house is stained wooden frames, so not looking for PVC.