• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#16 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

Crikey Gekko - you're a genius - no wonder you won the WC Superleague!

Thanks for the help :D
M A N G O

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

Not sure about that - just picked up a few tips over the past couple of years. Btw, I amended my post to account for Ledley King's injuries so he may be worth keeping.

Here are some invaluable resources:

Fiso - great forum, transfer password posted each week

Fantasy Sports Stats - lots of stats etc.

Other tips are, check the fixtures list to see who has easy or extra games coming up. Also, wait for the team news before making transfers - it's really annoying when you stick Adebayor in and he doesn't get picked as I did last year.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:04 PM

Team name changed. Team changed. All is well and good in Mango land.

I think I've cracked it now - my team is almost perfect - I just need another 3m quid to draft Rooney back in . . .

Bring on the new season - Up the Spurs! :D
M A N G O

#19 Gipsy_Skill

Gipsy_Skill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi,

Thought I'd quickly introduce myself having hijacked my way into your league!

I've just moved into the area (Gipsy Hill, funnily enough) and have been clicking through this board trying to make the clock hit 6 so I can go home from work!

So anyway, I'll be the one hanging around in mid-table land most of the season as seems to be the case most years!

Dan

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hi Dan,

Welcome to VN and to our lovely superleague. With this forum and hours of tinkering with your team on TFF, I don't think you'll have any problem whiling away the time until 6pm.

I wish I could leave my team alone but each day I have to play around with it some more. The thing is, the amnesty doesn't finish until 17th Aug, by which time there will be more injuries/transfers etc. to be taken into consideration. I know I should just leave it until the 16th, but somehow I can't help myself.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 Borris the Badger

Borris the Badger

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:44 PM

I'd love to join in but know nothing about football, as I used to support Wimbledon :( :(

#22 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

Boris - I've supported Spurs fro 25 years - result: 2 FA Cups. Shows what I know :lol:
M A N G O

#23 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

Borris - it would an honour to take a Wimbledon fan on board. I have a lot of sympathy for the fans after they got shafted. Do you follow Wimbledon AFC now or have you found yourself another club?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#24 Borris the Badger

Borris the Badger

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Gekko,
thanks for the support. You're right, the way the Crazy Gang were treated in the end was a travisty.

I still keep a watching brief on the AFC Dons but haven't been to a game for ages. As for the other lot, Milton Keynes are welcome to them!

As for the rest of the antics at Selhusrt Park, is it being contentious to suggest that Charlton did well by getting a decent manager on the cheap ? :P

#25 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

As for the rest of the antics at Selhusrt Park, is it being contentious to suggest that Charlton did well by getting a decent manager on the cheap ? :P

A one season wonder... his activity in the transfer market was dubious, his tactics abysmal. I walksd out of more games last season than I care to mention. I give him 18 months at Charlton before he gets found out.

#26 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:52 AM

his activity in the transfer market was dubious

Some truth in that but the latest signings don't exactly thrill me with anticipation for the new season. Still Peter Taylor is a decent choice with eagles roots so I hopefully we'll actually play some decent football. I don't expect anything more than scraping a play off spot again this season but I think we've got the right man to mould a young squad into a decent team. I just hope Simon Jordan shows patience. I'm intrigued to see Teddy Sherringham's son play.

As for Dowie I wish him well. Last season was poor and the nature of his departure was disappointing but let's face it players have no loyalty these days so why should managers ? I would argue that his short tenure was highly beneficial. When he started we were bottom and fcaing relegation. By the time he left we'd had 1 year's worth of premiership money , gained 2 years parachute payments and a big increase in AJ's sale value - all in all a tidy sum for struggling club. Imagine what might have happened

#27 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

Ok I am signed up and ready to go

Really hard to get within budget this year with various of my favorite underated players now commanding big prices (e.g Nolan)

Provisional starting team

Reina

JA Riise
E Eboue
J OShea
T Ben Haim

S Gerrard
H Kewell
F Fabregas
N Reo-Coker

T Henry
K Davies

Let battle commence :jedi:

Edited by jamesl, 09 August 2006 - 12:41 PM.

#28 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

I've started tinkering with my team again. Wish I could leave alone. Each time I think I've got the perfect team but then I look at it three days later and it seems rubbish :D :unsure: .

Edited by gekko, 10 August 2006 - 03:06 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#29 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:40 AM

Yep me too. Changed formation twice and about 6 transfers since my last post - that's it now though - I'm settled on my starting team

#30 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

I've just had another look at my team and I still like it, which is a miracle. Think I may stick now too :D .

Having said that I'm doing three teams this year, which I know I'll end up regretting :unsure: .
Mel, Forum Moderator