• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

The running track is available for public use on exchange of £3.10. I sometimes go on wednesdays and it is very quiet.

#17 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

Mrs Uncle Wilf also now works in a school (in Southwark)...

However, I am an ex-Stanley boy and it didn't do me no harm, do you get me? :ph34r:

Mmm...

As for schools in Southwark, well there's schools in Southwark and then there's schools in Southwark, if you take my meaning (JAGS, Alleyns and Dulwich College are in Southwark).
aka Pie

#18 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

Kingsdale and Charter too

#19 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

I take your point Sylvester. Two worlds colliding in one borough....

Mrs Uncle Wilf works in one of the seats of learning that Charlie mentions. There's no Jones Major and Jones Minor in Charter School, least not that I've heard.

Same in Croydon though isn't it? I'm sure there's a run of private schools in the area.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#20 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

Would I raise kids here? Yes if I could afford a reasonable-sized property when required. However, schools aren't fantastic or so I am told.

Yikes, I'm only just breaking up from my current partner - no kids or schools on the horizon just yet! ;) Just some good old quality me time for now. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies - I really want to move because I'm swiftly falling in love (or is it lust? or is that too damn weird?) with what I see of CP, but I'm kind of scared! I know it's silly, isn't it? I guess I'm just so used to where I am. But... new starts are good. So 'they' say...

#21 Azra

Azra

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies - I really want to move because I'm swiftly falling in love (or is it lust? or is that too damn weird?) with what I see of CP, but I'm kind of scared! I know it's silly, isn't it? I guess I'm just so used to where I am. But... new starts are good. So 'they' say...

I moved to the area 8 years ago and only planned to stay 6 months! Within a month or two, I'd fallen in love with the charm of CP so here I still am! And plan to be for as long as possible!

There's a wonderful villagey kind of vibe here, a real sense of community - and something that you don't always get in London. I like the fact that as you walk round the triangle, you're either waving at the shopkeepers or bumping into someone you know. Amongst other things, I love the park, the Olympic size pool and the panoramic views of London from my living room!

Although I don't use the nightbuses so much now (preferring to drive to most places), I did use them a lot when I first moved here. I've never felt unsafe walking from the bus stop back home in the early hours, but I'd always be quite sensible about it.

I think it's a wonderful area - it comes highly-recommended from me!

#22 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

I'm in the process of moving here - hopefully I'll be able to move into my new flat within 6 weeks if all goes well. I have lots of friends in the area, so got to know it quite well - loved the overall leafy feel and the convenience/variety/style of the triangle. Love the idea of being so nr the park (for my dogs) and sports stadium too. Also the house prices here are still pretty reasonable compared to some areas I considered, plus I see the potential for prices to grow with future redevelopment in the area.

When I finally do move here, I'm looking forward to getting involved in things like the book club :D
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#23 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yikes, I'm only just breaking up from my current partner - no kids or schools on the horizon just yet! ;) Just some good old quality me time for now. :)

Then take the plunge! A change of location is just what you need. As you can see CP people are very friendly and there's plenty of quality time to be had here. :)
aka Pie

#24 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:25 AM

If you want a quick way to get to know people in the area you could do a lot worse than come along to one of the Virtual Norwood socials - a monthly-ish get together in one of the local pubs. Next one is in the Albert on Wednesday 2nd, and there is always a mix of new and familiar faces.

When I moved to the area I didn't really know anyone who lived locally and VN has been a great way to get to know people in the neighbourhood - in addition to the socials we've had spin-offs by way of the reading group, trips to the (sadly defunct) film club, quiz night and football meet ups, running club, etc.

#25 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

If you want a quick way to get to know people in the area you could do a lot worse than come along to one of the Virtual Norwood socials - a monthly-ish get together in one of the local pubs. Next one is in the Albert on Wednesday 2nd, and there is always a mix of new and familiar faces.

When I moved to the area I didn't really know anyone who lived locally and VN has been a great way to get to know people in the neighbourhood - in addition to the socials we've had spin-offs by way of the reading group, trips to the (sadly defunct) film club, quiz night and football meet ups, running club, etc.

I was thinking about doing that, actually. Most of my friends are in SW London and so I would be moving out of their radar a bit. But hey, I like new friends! :)

Running club? I was thinking of entering the lottery for next year's marathon (despite having been doing more rowing than running recently, and nothing for the last month due to a ligament thingy) and a ready made running club might be just the inspiration I need...

#26 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

There are a few marathon runners in VN (myself included!) - a couple of us go to the Herne Hill Harriers track sessions (which being in Tooting is actually closer to where you live now!). It's not like a VN 'thing' but I wouldn't have gone if it hadn't have been for VN.

Actually I've been very busy/lazy recently so must get back to the track before I incur the wrath of Mango! :o

#27 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

If you live in Bromley Borough, you have the opportunity to send them to the "nice" schools further out of town... My wife teaches in a local school and they're not all bad... just erm... challenging! :D

well im 16 and having lived in both bromley and upper norwood since the age of 4 i liked the atmosphere of the schools in bromley but im currently at a croydon school (having finished my primary education at an upper norwood school) and its a nice place, friendly faces and fairly good teachers, but i dont enjoy treking into croydon everyday (especially in this heat) and i often feel unsafe when in croydon. I just wish some of the secondary schools around here where better and had an easier entrance policy
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches