6 replies to this topic

#1 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:23 AM

We've just bought a house in Norwood and as it's a tad on the small side we need a conservatory to create a dining room. We're getting quotes from a couple of larger companies (and weren't particularly impressed with all of them <_< ) but it would be nice to compare with some local ones too - anyone had one installed recently and could make a recommendation (or a note of somebody to avoid!)?

Thanks in advance!

TTFN, Hild

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

I would personally use a installer who belongs to the trade body GGF (Glass & Glazing Federation) www.ggf.org.uk

Even if you do have problems with the installation the GGF have an arbitration service which will take up your complaint with the company until solved also these companies offer an IBG (Insurance Back Guarantee) which is a policy that protects the personal guarantee if the installer goes into liquidation & enforces the remainder of the term of the guarantee.

Cheapest is not always best & remember the cost should include a guarantee at present the industry is pretty quiet & lots of companies regularly go into liquidation which negates the guarantee often these companies do a phoenix from the flames then tell you that they are no longer honouring the old company guarantees.

Cheers

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Try contacting VFM windows at West Wickham, installed our double glazing and that of my daughters. Nice job done on both properties

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Are there any new views on this topic?

I take Dazza's point about the GGF.

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

I think they must be FENSA certified too. We used Albion Windows in West Wickham for some doors and windows for our extension. They were friendly and reliable, but it's more important than ever to SHOP AROUND!
aka Pie

#6 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Mrs Spooks works sales for a Conservatory company; their main business is hardwood products but they also cover PVC. Unfortunately they're not local (based in Berkshire) but they do cover London. They're not the cheapest but they are very good at what they do. Drop me a PM if you would like her to get in touch (no obligation).

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi Guys

I have just started a new business in conjunction with an experienced company who have nearly 20 years of experience who specialize in thermal efficient new builds but have just moved into the refurbishment side of things ie extensions/windows /doors / conservatories/ summer rooms etc

We offer a free consultation service so feel free to contact me on 07970 194116 The name of the company is called A.K Assistance Ltd who have been trading for over 17 years we are also a NHBC Registered house builder we have just recieved our FENSA registration ( Reg 32187 ) & are a local company based in upper norwood.

We do take deposits but this comes with an indemnity policy which protects your deposit before the work starts a 5-10 year guarantee ( depending on products used) & also comes with an IBG ( Insurance back Guarantee ) which protects the guarantee if anything happens to the business before the guarantee expires at no extra cost.

We also have very good contacts with the local authorities so we will be able to let you know of if you require planning permission / building regulations or just a FENSA certificate on any project you are undertaking .

Feel free to contact me for further info on products advice or if you require a quote. We also have several local projects completed/in progress which can be viewed if you want to ensure our quality.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig