• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cassie

Cassie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

I have just moved into SE19 in the Gipsy Hill area and wondered if anyone could give me the names and addresses of any pubs/clubs that have live bands playing on a regular basis.

Also, any pubs that you can highly recommend would be great!

#2 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

Welcome to VN

My advice take a good look through the pubs section, or go on what I've called the "Crystal Maze" - a pub crawl round the triangle!!

Live music - the Alma, Numidie, Gipsy Hill Tavern and ABC's theme nights. I think that's it.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#3 Smidster

Smidster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hi Cassie
My current favourite is the White Hart on the corner of Westow St & Church Road (SE19 2EZ). Chilled atmosphere, great selection of foreign beers & garden out back. They have live music on Wednesday nights - I've not been so can't comment on quality but this pub is definitely worth checking out.
Enjoy!

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

What Elmo calls the Crystal Maze, I call the Crystal Triangle but I think we mean the same thing... :)

Alma has live music although in my experience it's of varying quality and the atmosphere is a bit flat. Live musicians in there rarely ask the question "So erm then The Alma - what's happeneing?" or even "So then The Alma, are you ready to rock?" But maybe that's a good thing.
Normally live music in there on a Thursday and a Friday I think.

White Hart on a Wednesday and as stated Smidster's post, the Gipsy Hill Tavern has live music.

Have fun. :)
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 Cassie

Cassie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

Can someone explain exactly where the Crystal Triangle is :unsure:

i.e. do I have to get a bus or train there or is it walking distance from Gipsy Hill

#6 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

If you're in Gipsy Hill then try The Mansion on a Sunday evening. There's a pianist who plays jazz/contempory stuff on their grand piano and he's very good too

#7 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

What Elmo calls the Crystal Maze, I call the Crystal Triangle but I think we mean the same thing... :)

When you're drunk... it's a maze! When you're sober, it's a triangle! :wacko:

Can someone explain exactly where the Crystal Triangle is

Sorry. The Crystal Palace triangle is the local term for the area where the shops and bars are. It's made up of Westow Street, Church Road and Westow Hill:

http://www.streetmap...G...amp;A=Y&Z=1

:D

Edited by Elmo, 08 August 2006 - 02:00 PM.

Follow me on Twitter

#8 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hi Cassie,
I can only go along with all the recommendations for the White Hart. Very nice.

If you walk up the hill from Gipsy Hill station you are at one tip of the triangle once you get to the top. If you walk straight on from there the White Hart is at the next corner of the triangle you get to (almost opposite the new sainsburys)

I remember being very confused about this myself and had to get an estate agent to explain to me what the "ever popular Crystal Palace triangle" was that was talked about in all the flat ads.
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#9 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

When you're drunk... it's a maze! When you're sober, it's a triangle! :wacko:

I've yet to move and I'm already wondering if I should be figuring out where the nearest AA meeting is. ;)

Of course, I always did like the Crystal Maze...

#10 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

I love living here, but the temptation to eat and drink up on the triangle is immense! I'm not sure how much I've spent in the 3.5 years I've lived in CP, but I think I'm doing more than enough for the local economy :o

Follow me on Twitter

#11 drummerboy

drummerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

Hi Cassie,

Sadly there is no live music to speak of in CP. apart from occasional acoustic stuff at Numidie downstairs bar, jam sessions at The Gipsy Hill Tavern on Monday nights , acoustic stuff at Café ABC and cover bands at the Alma. There is a studio called Antenna who throw some great parties that sometimes involve live music and dj's. Visit them and get on their mailing list for invites.

My advise is jump on a number 3 bus and heading to The Windmill in Brixton www.windmillbrixton.co.uk
If your free on September 16th come to this gig I've orgainsed. I can promise its gonna be a fun night

Posted Image