Photo

The Paxton Arms Hotel

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Good (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Average (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Poor (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

I sit corrected - good to hear that an older style pub still has the punters to keep going.

#32 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

My money's on 'luxurious apartments'. Developers don't give a damn if it's already a viable business, they want to make a stack of cash. Greyhound in Sydenham springs to mind.
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#33 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

600 grand and its yours.

Posted Image

Wow! Prime location for a decent boozer that's welcoming to all :)

Who can we contact to alert them to the Valley Gals' need for a decent pub down t'hill?! Scott from the Bridge House?

So if it closes there'll be no pub on that stretch of road between the G&G and Elmers End. 2.4 miles!!! Outrageous!

Why not register the pub with Bromley council asap as an Asset of Community value and then put together a bid for the pub using a share issue or find a backer to provide some capital. This is a good example of where you could use the Community Right to Bid provisions under the Localism Act. Also, registering the building could afford it some protection if an application was made for change of use e.g. to residential.

£600K looks like a snip. The building has got history too - there is a lovely old photo which shows it when the tram used to run up the hill ;-)

http://mycommunityri...y-right-to-bid/

http://mycommunityri...erdale-cumbria/

#34 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Oops - synchronicitous posting with Charlie! Great idea, but I'm afraid a bid of that kind would be beyond my scope - putting together the ARP bid almost finished me off :wacko:

The Greyhound's been saved, hasn't it, Sidders?

Edited by GillW, 13 December 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#35 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

The Greyhound has a preservation order on it but the developers part demolished it anyway and now it has no roof and is a shell of a building. If I had a suspicious nature I'd say they're not particularly interested in keeping their promise to have a pub as a central part of their development. Still, they got the flats they wanted built so that's ok. If what remains of the pub falls down/mysteriously catches fire again there might be space for more flats.

Edited by Sidney Ruff-Diamond, 13 December 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#36 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hmmm - that's not on :angry:

#37 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I live virtually opposite this pub and every time I walk past, it is busy with plenty of locals drinking in there. It would seem too popular a pub to close. But just because the freehold is up for sale does not mean the rest is. Presumeably the pub is on a leasehold downstairs so the freehold could be the outside shell and roof overhead. (Well that's how the three flats in my building are set up).

It is a proper old school pub, I would not want to see it "improved". No coffee cups or wine glasses needed in here!

#38 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

I agree that it seems reasonably popular already, but I'm not sure old-school boozers are sustainable unless they are packed to the rafters. From what I can see, if you are only going to sell drinks, you need to be in the town/city centre to pick up the post-office crowd. I was in a couple of pubs last night round Victoria/St James' and they were rammed. There's a small window of opportunity for a few hours after 5.30pm. After that, people need to eat and/or go home to their families.

I can't see anyone who would buy and run The Paxton Arms as a pub being happy to keep the status quo. You wouldn't make that investment without wanting to take better advantage of the market. That means going upmarket, offering premium drinks and quality food. The location is ideal for that as people are pouring out of Crystal Palace station needing to be fed and watered. That's why Il Grillo is doing pretty well, especially from 8.30 onwards when people have been at work late and really can't be bothered to cook. I don't get the point about people who go to the Sparrowhawk not wanting to be around Anerley Hill/Road late at night. It's no different to coming out of CP station at that time and plenty of people do that when they've been out in town late.

When Boydy took over the Alma, he was quite clear that he went upmarket because you can't make money from people nursing a cheap pint for an hour. Those days are over. We've been here before but there was a great documentary on about a year ago on the decline of the old school boozer. Gender equality, workplace intolerance of lunchtime drinking/morning after syndrome, the rising cost of living and the fact there are many other luxuries competing for people's money have brought about a change in how pubs have had to market themselves.

To be honest, my money is on it becoming high-end apartments. I hope that's not the case as I'd love to see more quality businesses along that stretch. It's a tempting opportunity for an investor, although I get the feeling that the apartments at the bottom of Waldegrave haven't been selling as quickly as the developer hoped. I agree with the point above about the Tesco eyesore complex. Until that gets bulldozed, that stretch will never fully reach its potential. However, if the other shops around it raise their game, I think it's only a matter of time until someone makes the current landlord an offer he can't refuse.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#39 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Would even take a bet luxury flats indeed ( No flats are ever marketed as just flats always luxury flats)

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#40 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I agree that it seems reasonably popular already, but I'm not sure old-school boozers are sustainable unless they are packed to the rafters. From what I can see, if you are only going to sell drinks, you need to be in the town/city centre to pick up the post-office crowd. I was in a couple of pubs last night round Victoria/St James' and they were rammed. There's a small window of opportunity for a few hours after 5.30pm. After that, people need to eat and/or go home to their families.

I can't see anyone who would buy and run The Paxton Arms as a pub being happy to keep the status quo. You wouldn't make that investment without wanting to take better advantage of the market. That means going upmarket, offering premium drinks and quality food. The location is ideal for that as people are pouring out of Crystal Palace station needing to be fed and watered. That's why Il Grillo is doing pretty well, especially from 8.30 onwards when people have been at work late and really can't be bothered to cook. I don't get the point about people who go to the Sparrowhawk not wanting to be around Anerley Hill/Road late at night. It's no different to coming out of CP station at that time and plenty of people do that when they've been out in town late.

When Boydy took over the Alma, he was quite clear that he went upmarket because you can't make money from people nursing a cheap pint for an hour. Those days are over. We've been here before but there was a great documentary on about a year ago on the decline of the old school boozer. Gender equality, workplace intolerance of lunchtime drinking/morning after syndrome, the rising cost of living and the fact there are many other luxuries competing for people's money have brought about a change in how pubs have had to market themselves.

To be honest, my money is on it becoming high-end apartments. I hope that's not the case as I'd love to see more quality businesses along that stretch. It's a tempting opportunity for an investor, although I get the feeling that the apartments at the bottom of Waldegrave haven't been selling as quickly as the developer hoped. I agree with the point above about the Tesco eyesore complex. Until that gets bulldozed, that stretch will never fully reach its potential. However, if the other shops around it raise their game, I think it's only a matter of time until someone makes the current landlord an offer he can't refuse.

Shame. Look what the locals did for the Ivy House Nunhead!

http://ivyhousenunhead.com/

Ivy House Community Pub Ltd was formed out of a grass-roots campaign to ensure the survival of the Ivy House on Stuart Road, Nunhead SE15 3BE

We have acquired the freehold of the building, and are now seeking investment to enable us to get the doors open again, via a community Share Issue. You can download the share prospectus here, or read our FAQs here

This pub is making history: saved from conversion to flats at the 11th hour by the Grade II listing of the historic interior, it was the first building in London to be listed under the Localism Act, and now it is London's first community-owned pub. The Ivy House has a huge amount to offer, not just as a fantastic pub but also as a community hub and performance venue.

#41 JMarkDodds

JMarkDodds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Can anyone say what's happening with the Paxton now? Update to May 2013?

Edited by JMarkDodds, 13 May 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#42 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

It's all boarded up! Anyone know what is going on?  I think sadly as well that they probably become flats but that would be sad. I live nearby and we have been in a few times. Personally, I probably would go in a bit more if it was just a bit better, and I think it would also be much more viable if it was a bit more generally welcoming and picked up people going to/from the station a la Al Grillo and the café at the station - equally it doesn't need to e a full gastro place like sparrowhawk - and then also hopefully prices somewhere between an old local and pretentious boozer full of yummy mummies and their brats.

#43 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

application to convert to flats went in month or two ago.