17 replies to this topic

#1 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

We appear to be having a spot of damp which could need to be dealt with. We've been given one quote to have it sorted, but as that was sorted by the estate agents we bought the house through it would make sense to get a quote from somebody just a liiiiittle bit more independent... ;) Anybody had a damp-proof course done and can recommend anyone?

TTFN, Hild

#2 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

I've used Kenwood in the past and they were very good - they were highly recommended to me by a very competent surveyor.

http://www.kenwoodplc.co.uk/

I've also heard Rosewood are good but don't have any contact details.

Good luck,

KH

#3 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

It was Kenwood who did the survey on behalf of the estate agents, their report certainly LOOKED professional enough but as it was in the estate agents best interest to get it through quickly I wasn't sure how much it could be trusted... Good to know that they've done a good job for you though, thanks for that!

TTFN, Hild

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

Many people over at uk.d-i-y are highly sceptical of damp proofing companies. Before you spend any money or go into very messy bashing about of your new house, do some basic checks for:-

1) Leaking gutters or windowsills causing water to run down the wall outside.
2) Dampcourse bridged by rubbish or path built too high.
3) Blocked drains.
4) Condensation -- stick a small piece of glass or plastic on the damp wall with a ring of bluetack and see if the damp appears on the room side the glass (condensation) or the wall side (damp).
5) If the house has been empty for a while, see if the damp goes away once you open windows and when you start the central heating in the next few months.

and read the FAQ as well as Googling uk.d-i-y for discussions (some of which get quite heated!) such as the recent ones here and here.

#5 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

Well, there has definitely been some water leaking - when the water supply was changed from using a storage tank in the loft to mains-fed water the (insert several asterisks here) plumber didn't bother to change the valve in the loo for a high-pressure one. As a result the overflow pipe was leaking like a good'un! We've obviously put this right, but I'm worried it may have caused some long-term damage. Our neighbour says it's been leaking for years... However, I would have thought this would be mostly likely to affect the wall in the immediately surrounding area and as we are about to completely gut the bathroom and start again (with a reliable plumber this time!) he might be able to treat that wall? I just don't know enough about this sort of thing!

Thank you very much for your advice though, I will definitely try the glass-trick as I don't really think there's much damp elsewhere in the house.

TTFN, Hild

#6 Daniel Naya

Daniel Naya

DN

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

hi
I just bought a flat in Crystal Palace park road and I used Keenwood........top guys.....quick service .............but I have to say I had to call back a different plaster as they left completely uneven the middle wall.............so make sure u dont let them out before you check perfect the work that has been carry out.........I was at work and I trust sometimes to match but I must say........not good example.
hope this helps
DNN

#7 Simon J

Simon J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

I can happily recommend NPC, 07967 000178, 0208 773 0144, Mr C Dene. Quick, reliable & a great price. I only had the damp course injected & am doing the plastering myself as part of larger works. Cheers.

#8 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

A few years ago I got involved in helping a friend who had possibly damp or condensation related problems in a basement flat. I arranged for three damp proofing companies to survey, report and, if necessary, provide estimates. The result was that they came up with three distinctly different identified problems with three different causes. The three different solutions ranged in price from £1,000 to £10,000. :blink:

When challenged on these differences, they each dismissed the other surveys and insisted that their survey was the only correct one. I arranged for a further two surveys, but this only confused the issue with yet more inconsistent observations and solutions.

In the end, as the place was being sold, a practical approach was adopted. This consisted of additional ventilation, some redecoration and a sale in the height of summer. The survey did show up some small areas that required treatment and the price was adjusted to cover it. In the end everyone, except the damp proofing companies, were happy with the outcome. :D

The moral of this story is always get at least three quotes when you need to have major works carried out. If you are not satisfied with the extent of the proposed work or the costs, question the estimates and get further quotes. And if the work is for a serious amount of money or has safety implications, consider getting a qualified surveyor involved at an early stage.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#9 HillSider

HillSider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hi,

We appear to have the beginning of a damp problem underneath one of our windows (outside) - anybody know any building experts who could advise us on what to do?

Thanks all

#10 360 Degrees

360 Degrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

Hi

I have the details of a company that provides Damp Proofing and the proprietor is responsible for writing the Government legislation on the matter.

Please PM me if you would like more details.

Best regards

Julie Laughton
360 Degrees
Julie Laughton - 360 Degrees - Improving Every Angle of Your Life. Property Maintenance Solutions, Lifestyle Management Services and Project Management for your Home Improvement Projects. Visit My Website Email for Info

#11 cartelmike

cartelmike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

I've used Kenwood in the past and they were very good - they were highly recommended to me by a very competent surveyor.

http://www.kenwoodplc.co.uk/

I've also heard Rosewood are good but don't have any contact details.

Good luck,

KH

seconded. theyre very helpful and not rip-off merchants

#12 cj

cj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

I used Kenwood to damp-proof my home two years ago at a cost of ~4K + costs, but had problems and I would advise people against using them.

Edited by MattVN, 26 March 2009 - 06:21 PM.
Some details have been removed for legal reasons but potential customers are welcome to contact this member to ask for more details about the problems.

#13 Orso

Orso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

I used Kenwood to damp-proof my home two years ago at a cost of ~4K + costs, but had problems and I would advise people against using them.

Agreed - we just used Kenwood for a damp issue in our bathroom they did a terrible job and left our flat in a total mess. Would really advise against using them

#14 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Pass & Co did a really good job on my house last summer and compared to other quotes were extremely reasonable. 0208 669 2479 or 07831507977

#15 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

I used Rosewood Preservation last year for my home.

After they completed the work, my builder questioned what they had done. I called them back out and they assured me that the DCP level was correct. 9 months later we had rising damp - and they have quoted 480 to fix the problem, with drawings that are identical to the ones for the original work. I have a 20 year guarantee certificate - and when we questioned this we were told to F* off by the person at the end of the phone.

SO I would avoid this bunch of cowboys like the plague - you are mostly paying for the guarantee and if they don't stand by it, then it is worthless.