Fabric/Haberdashery shops

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

I'm thinking of getting rid of my rather cold-looking venetian blinds and was looking at the thread on Curtain Shops, but I'd rather pick my own fabric out and make something fairly simple on my ancient sewing machine. Since the shop in Maple Road in Penge closed down, I can't think of any fabric shops nearby. I know Ikea has a small range of fabric but apart from that I'm drawing a blank. Are there any others within reasonable travelling distance of SE19 which I have overlooked?

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Not really nearby but you could try John Lewis.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

There is a nice looking fabric shop near West Norwood train station, not sure what's it's called but will check tonight on my way home from work.

Edited by Gemster, 22 September 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#4 motherash

motherash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:22 AM

hi elleme the best fabric shop that i know of is in Balham. its on the main road between balham and tooting bec tube, there is also one in thornton heath just off of green lane and another one in east dulwich.....although i havnt actually been to that one.
Beckenham high street has one called Sheilas which is fairly small. To be honest the best one is definatly Balham, good luck

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

There is another shop in Penge High Street that makes up curtains and they also sell the fabric I believe. I can't recall the name but it's near Woolworths I think. I bought the material for my Roman blind in Laura Ashley - a bit pricey but lovely quality. And I bought the cording, eyes etc. from the shop in Penge.
aka Pie

#6 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

There is a nice looking fabric shop near West Norwood train station, not sure what's it's called but will check tonight on my way home from work.

That is revamp interiors
I think there is alink to their website on another topic about curtains

Edited by iclipper, 25 September 2006 - 03:46 PM.

#7 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

Thanks, that gives me a few ideas.

#8 tiamaria

tiamaria

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Rolls and Rems in Lewisham High Street is fab for fabrics and all things crafty

#9 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

I spotted a really nice one on Lordship Lane last night, sorry I didn't get the name but it's on the right hand side as you're driving into East Dulwich.
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#10 nor wood I

nor wood I

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Fabric shops: Beckenham has a lovely little haberdashery on the high street, some limited fabric runs but great trims and habby. Wimbledon sewing machine centre has plenty of everything! Whilst in Balham/Tooting, Silkhance and Nassar are also well worth trying out for silks/poly silks/jersey/denim etc. There are at least 3 other shops on the Tooting strip also, as well as a great stall in the covered market. Brixton has two shops, one on Electric Avenue, the other on Atlantic Road. The guy in Lordhsip lane has lots of furnishing fabrics, and I think he can order you pretty much anything you could want (well connected from Berwick street days). If you're really looking for a cloth hotspot then you should got to Goldhawk Road area. Expensive ranges can be found in the Berwick Street shops, also Joel & Sons of Church Street NW8 and Jasons of Edgware road. West end haberdashery of note: McCulloch and Wallis, Kleins, Barnet Lawson, VV Rouleaux. Happy stitching folks!!!

#11 chic geek

chic geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

yes there is one on lordship lane going up from the main shops towards the horniman ..but not as far as the library ...sorry i don't know its name but it is a lovely shop with :) fab fabric and wool

#12 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

hi

I need to get some heading to attach hooks to for new curtains, ( not certain that is what you call it, the strip of material at the top of the curtain), any idea where I could pick some up, West Norwood or Penge?

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi, Cathy. There's a curtain and homewares shop on Penge Street just a few doors down from and on the same side as the police station.

#14 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi, Cathy. There's a curtain and homewares shop on Penge Street just a few doors down from and on the same side as the police station.

great, thanks a million