• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 gimmeagin

gimmeagin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

I have found this application for pre-application advice on the Lambeth planning application site. ( How many times can I get application in 1 sentence?)
Call me fussy but a 14 storey building? I didnt even know that the Tennis Club was in trouble! :blink:

'Redevelopment of the site, involving the erection of 14 storey building, to provide retail at ground floor level and self contained flats at upper floors (Option 1).
Redevelopment of the site, involving the erection of 3 blocks, varying height from 3 to 6 storeys, to provide retail at ground floor level and self contained flats. (Option 2)
Redevelopment of the site, involving the erection of 2 buildings to provide retail units and self contained flats. (Option 3)'

#2 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Are you sure??? How on earth are they going to get a 14 storey building on that site. That will tower over evrything there

#3 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

Doesn't sound like good news if any of the options get the go-ahead.

Sadly, the tennis and squash club is about the only leisure provision we have in West Norwood.

#4 gimmeagin

gimmeagin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Here is where I saw it folks. :ph34r:
http://planning.lamb...o=J5S5I7BO71000

#5 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

We'll have to keep our eyes on this one guys.

#6 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

Can we trust a company whose are based at Onion House????

#7 Hogsflesh

Hogsflesh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

As I understand it, the tennis club are selling up because their members are getting steadily older and they feel the club is reaching the end of its natural life. I suppose this shows that if we don't use our local facilities, they will go. I'm certainly guilty of this - I know people who are members, but I've never been myself.

#8 helicopterhead

helicopterhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hiyya
I did think of joining the tennis club, there is quite a lack of sport things in west norwood. It was quite expensive though - and if you wanted to play with a partner it would be doubly so. Shame though, I wonder if they have tried lottery funds / education projects, or is it more of a clubby club.

#9 benpark

benpark

Ben Park

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

My friend and I attempted to join a number of times earlier this year, but with no luck. We left messages and everything, and my friend was event told to try again in a few months!! No real reason was given, they just didn't seem to want to take on new members.

With an attitude like that, it's no wonder they are going under. It's a real shame as it's right at the bottom of my road and would have been very convenient. I guess i'll have to look at Crystal Palace Sports Centre now instead.

#10 tennisnut

tennisnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

West Norwood Tennis club has suffered from a lack of new members for many years. Some have joined, but have played for only one season.

Other tennis clubs in the area have had a similar experience, where younger people who have the disposable income have preferred to join the Esportas or David Lloyds where there are obviously much more varied activities,pool, gym, sauna etc.

Most of the regular tennis members actually live outside of Lambeth - Purley, Carshalton, Wallington and Croydon etc. Locals may feel they will gain more from re-development.

#11 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

Maybe the council could arrange an exchange... permit the redevelopment of the Tennis Club site in return for building a new tennis club next to the Big Yellow Self Storage. That plot of land was earmarked for sports use until the council bungled the planning application and now it just lies as wasteland.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#12 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:33 AM

A bit off-topic, but someone's applied for planning permission for the site next to the Big Yellow. The plan is, if I remember rightly, for a warehouse with office space and a community hall. A great shame if this gets through as it would have been great to have a local sports facility or something else with "added value" for the community.

#13 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

Off topic too - The site next to the Big Yellow storage place has applied for planning permission for a part 3-storey, part 4-storey cash and carry warehouse plus offices plus community hall. This went before the planning applications committee yesterday with recommendation for approval from Lambeth's Planners. I don't know the outcome although I expect it did get through. Quite sad really considering Lambeth were trying to force a leisure development when they built the elegant Big Yellow building next door, but were over ruled by the Planning Inspectorate.

#14 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

If done properly it sounds good to me.

The Tennis club is covered in tarmac and buildings and only has access for it's anomynous members !! If re-development has a benefit to the Area over and above whatever the Big Yellow storage and the Bus Garage do, why not??

Can't remember when I last heard some one say 'Any one for Tennis?'

Edited by Dutch Cow, 24 October 2006 - 10:54 PM.

#15 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

Don't knock the Bus Garage - There has been one in West Norwood, on that site for many years and it brings employment into the area and also means people get to hear about West Norwood, even if it is just the final destination of their bus