• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#16 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

Was in no way knocking the existence of the bus garage as it is a fantastice benefit for the reasons mentioned, I was mereley commenteing on its aesthetic appearance.

Sorry if I upset the Bus garage.

#17 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

I am sure it would not take it personally :D

#18 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

Dear West Norwood Residents

Hello. I'm Lee Barker, Head of Architecture and Planning for Milford Group. As many of you already know, we are proposing to re-developed this site as new housing and have already approached Lambeth's Planning and Housing Departments for their views. As a result our development plans have been modified and we would now like to give you, the residents of West Norwood, the opportunity to see why we've become involved in the site's future and to view and comment on our development plans before we submit a formal planning application. We hope to be able to take as many of your comments on board and give the area a development that matchs your aspirations. To do this we are holding a Public Exhibition of our latest proposals at the Nettlefold Hall from 4.30pm to 7.45pm on Thursday 30 November. Members of the development team will be there to answer you questions and you will be invited to leave your comments. I hope to see you there.

#19 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

I heard a rumour that the development of the Tennis Court site is linked somehow to Julian's Farm Field. Any truth in this?

#20 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

Lee,

Thanks for the information. Will any of the proposals go online as I may not get a chance to go to the exhibition on the 30th.

Thanks

Edited by Knights Hiller, 20 November 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#21 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the interest in the Exhibition.
There is a connection to St. Julian's Farm Field, as we are in a position to offer the field to Lambeth Council, with a covenant that the land should be retained as local/public open space in perpetuity, should the development go ahead. However, Lambeth Council have not shown any great enthusiasm for owning the Field so far and we will be submitting a planning application for the Tennis Club site irrespective of this. Therefore we would like to know local residents' opinion of our development proposals for the site as a "stand alone" issue.
With regard to the contents of the Exhibition, we will make this available online after the Exhibition. I'll post details of this in early December.

Lee Barker
Head of Architecture & Planning
Milford Group Ltd.
PS of Orion House, not "Onion" House!

#22 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

I realise I'm heading off-topic, away from the tennis courts towards Julians Farm, but Lee, would Milfords consider working with the St Julian's Farm Field Association, who have been campaigning to bring the field into green community use, but have been thwarted for years by the Council's lack of interest?

#23 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Urma, we'd be very interested in doing that. I'm out of the office for a few days early next week but you could contact our Land & Sales Director, Steven Knott, who is also very involved in this project and knows more about the Field than me. Otherwise, if we don't meet at the Exhibition one of us will contact you afterwards.

#24 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hello West Norwood Residents,

Having held our Public Exhibition of various proposals for the Tennis Club many of the attendees requested that any comments left in our comments box were published on the forum, so in the spirit of openness, here goes. (Milford Group Ltd comments in italics)

“These projections are too high density- Building far too obtrusive in a semi-detached area. Parking a major issue!”

The density and car parking are dictated to us by Lambeth’s and The Mayors’ London Plan. The proposals have been reduced to the low end of the density range dictated for the site.

“If the development of statutory density is unavoidable the Tower scheme in a way is best by leaving the ground floor less encamped, but will be too much shock. View of the city down Knights Hill should be kept. Design of the Buildings must be tasteful and quality- NOT A SLUM IN MAKING LIKE CHICHESTER ROAD, HULME WHICH IS EXTREMELY UGLY”.

The distant views down Knights Hill will be unaffected , the closer views we intend, will be an enhancement. Chichester road, Hulme was displayed as an example and these views are duly noted.

“I would like to see the site developed, but not at this scale of proposal??????? development must take place it must ?????? social and?????? Amenities.

Could not read???????

“It is a great shame the tennis club is no longer sustainable. People always say Norwood lacks leisure facilities but then don’t use the ones that exist. Therefore, although the idea of a gym is a nice sweetener I think it would be unlikely to attract enough business to be viable, especially if there is limited parking for clients. Norwood doesn’t want tower blocks. A 12 storey or over 6 storey blocks would be out of keeping with the area and detract from the architecture St. Lukes Church. We would prefer a lower lying development with underground parking (see development of Norwood Road near Tulse Hill Station. Out of the designs viewed so far I favour the Oval towers which are aesthetically more pleasing than a tower block or a blocky structure. Please keep me informed!!

The Gym operator is an international company, who have done there own demographic research before being interested in the site. We have employed Architectural Historical building and conservation area consultants to protect the visual aspects of St. Lukes Church and the Grade 2 listed building in Thornlaw Road. We will take the other comments in to account.

“Please! Don’t build a tower block. The whole thing is horrific in a post war residential area, albeit, adjoining industrial sites so whatever is least obtrusive is the best we can hope for I suppose”.

We would hope that the development would bring benefits to the local; community and businesses.

“Go away”

No comment.

“I will like you stop this now we have you business cards!”

Not worthy of comment.

“Please keep the development in keeping with the rest of the area, and do not make the facilities within it gym or not just for the new flat dwellers”

The Gym will be low cost and open to all.

“I do not agree with the proposals to build that amount of flats. There should only be low blocks or housing keeping with the local area”

I refer to comment to the first statement.

“Maximizing Section 106 planning gain if the proposed scheme goes ahead. I would like to see much lower density please bear in mind the nature of the local housing stock”

As above; in addition the type of housing is dictated by the local authorities identified local need, not by the nature of the existing local stock.

An interesting evening and mixed comments. We will keep the forum informed as the proposals develop further and in form when the actual Planning application is submitted.

Lee Barker
Head of Planning and Architecture
Milford Group Ltd.

#25 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

How likely is it that the proposed gym would incorporate a swimming pool (even a small swimming pool)? I would definitely be interested in joining if it did.

#26 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

I would definitely use the gym but agree it would be better with a pool, however small. Have not seen any of the plans as yet, so can't comment on those. Will they be made available online?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#27 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

I think that a gym with a pool would be a great addition to the area. I would definitely use it!

#28 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

Me too! Although, as long as it was affordable, I would use a gym even without one. I've got nothing near where I work so something in West Norwood would be an absolute boon!

#29 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

a flat and free membership or free flat and membership i have to pay for???
millenium people???

#30 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have received a number of calls from people unable to attend the Exhibition so I just wanted to confirm that we do intend to publish the Exhibition material on a website. We also hope to include some further background information regarding the development and intend to keep it up to date with the latest ideas and situation so that everyone who is interested can follow the development's progress.
I hope that the website will be available next week and I will post the address on this forum and our company website (www.milfordgroup.com) as soon as it is ready.
In the meantime, thanks for your continued interest in this site and your patience whilst the website is created.

Lee Barker
Head of Architecture & Planning
Milford Group Ltd.