• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#31 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

As promised, we have created a website for this development, which includes all the material displayed at the Public Exhibition last month. The website address is:

www.knightscourt.co.uk

I hope you find it useful. We will keep it up to date with the latest news, in addition to posting significant happenings on this forum.

Merry Christmas

Lee Barker
Head of Architecture & Planning
Milford Group Ltd.

#32 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for putting that information on Lee.

One thing I don't like about the documentation is the constant reference to the falling Tennis club membership as one of the key reasons why the tennis club is no longer viable and the site was sold.

When I enquired to join the Tennis Club about 14 months ago, I, like several of West Norwood's recent arrivals, was told that I could not become a club member as new members were not currently being admitted.

Am I being cynical or was this just a cunning ploy by the Committee to drive down membership levels thus making it a lot easier to justify the redevelopment of the site to the community?

#33 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

Some what cynical one could say.

The club is currently run solely by two club members, who have been members for over 30 years. I think it would be unfair to accuse them of that sort of manipulation after that amount of effort to run a club and keep it vibrant for decades. If the membership closed prior to our involvemnt , it would be because the existing members were deciding the future of the Club.

The club may well also ask a cynical question. Are local non-members now saying they wanted to join because there is a chance of redevelopment of the site? Why did they not join years ago ?

It works both ways.

Edited by MilfordGroup, 24 December 2006 - 10:42 AM.

#34 benpark

benpark

Ben Park

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

So what gives? Any more news? I'm keen to know what is going to happen here.

#35 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

This appears to be what gives at the moment!

http://www.knightsco...co.uk/index.htm

The site says that the application has not gone to Lambeth Planning yet, so who knows which option 'won'...

Milford - can you tell us what the final application looks like when it's in please?

#36 MilfordGroup

MilfordGroup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

We have just (today) updated our website for this development with more information on the Fitness Club and the development options we are now considering. It also has a facility for you to let us know which option you prefer. The website address is:

Knights Court

We will keep it up to date with the latest news including posting full details of the planning application, once it has been submitted.

Lee Barker
Head of Architecture & Planning
Milford Group Ltd.

#37 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for this. It all sounds brilliant. I really hope it goes through and West Norwood gets a Gym. 15 a month - there will be a stampede if it is anything like that price. When is the decision likely to be made on the planning application?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#38 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

A note of caution from a weary old cynic ....

A local gym at only 15 a month does indeed some marvellous - too good to be true, perhaps? Anyone who was around West Norwood at the time Big Yellow Storage applied for planning permission will remember that a health club was part of that planning application and consent was granted on condition that the health club was built. It never was, apparently because the developers could not find any leisure company interested in taking it on. The site is still empty, a blot on the landscape.

I don't doubt the sincerity of Milford Group's aspirations, but as I understand it, they are just that - aspirations. Can Milford Group give us an assurance that, whatever shape the planning application eventually takes, it will include the gym? The suggested membership fee seems implausibly low: would a gym charging as little as that be sustainable as a business? What guarantee is there that fees would not rise after the initial period, to match those charged by other operators?

It would be a sad day if the community were disappointed again, as we were over the (non-existent) gym on the Big Yellow site.

Edited by HeadGardener, 17 February 2007 - 01:36 PM.

#39 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." ( Russell Lynes)

"Cynicism is the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence." (H.L.Menken)

What if Big yellow storage had never been bulit? What if? What if? What if? As long as the promises are secured, it can only be a positive thing. Some plans workout as expected and intended and some dont, but the more we try to make them work the more they do.

Edited by Dutch Cow, 20 February 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#40 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" Trad, arr Head Gardener

"We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience" (George Bernard Shaw)

I don't think I disagree with you, Dutch Cow. As long as the promised health club is secured, then it would indeed be an asset for the area. But one of the lessons which can be drawn from the Big Yellow experience is that developers may sometimes (and no doubt in good faith) over-reach themselves and make promises that they are not actually in a position to deliver. There are many circumstances in which 'we' can make little or no difference to the outcome of someone else's plan, however much we might wish otherwise.

What would have happened if the Big Yellow depot hadn't been built is of course highly speculative, but it's hard to see that West Norwood would have been any the poorer. We might, perhaps, still have an empty site, as we do on the part of the plot reserved for the putative gym, but then again we might have good quality housing - something for which there is demand in the area and which (arguably) would have done much more to revive that part of West Norwood than the huge yellow shed has so far.

Edited by HeadGardener, 21 February 2007 - 04:36 PM.

#41 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

I agree withr Headgardener 100% and sticks and stones were never even picked up, just a point made.

Respect in abundance

#42 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

Peace and love to you too, Dutch Cow. ;)

#43 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

Has there been any update on this? It all seems to have gone a bit quiet.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#44 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

Was looking foward to the Gym, maybe a collective of weary old cynics have ended these plans and we can all carry on enjoying a great game of tennis on Knights Hill? Who knows ?

#45 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

As far as I know, the application keeps on keeping on..

I think there is a pending requirement for a light and shadow survey, but the 'cascade' option has been submitted to planning. The www.knightscourt.co.uk website should be updating (but I haven't checked it). I'm finding it quite hard to judge, as I amble about town, whether the nay-sayers or pro-camp are winning on this one but, more cynically, how much say do locals have anyway, once Lambeth Planning have got their mitts on it?