18 replies to this topic

#1 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a structural engineer to come and have a look at a crack running vertically up (down?) an inner wall in my flat in SE20 - on both floors? :unsure:

Many thanks!

#2 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

How urgent is it?

My dad is a structural engineer and is visiting next month some time :D
M A N G O

#3 Petal

Petal

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

Can you not contact your insurance company? They would arrange for an inspection.

#4 charlottedare

charlottedare

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

Your structural engineer may want to monitor the crack which is something you could get going on. If you mark & date the bottom of the crack with a small pencil mark, you will be able to see if it is moving over time, and how fast.

Is it the inside of an external wall or a completely internal wall?

#5 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Mango - it's not ultra urgent but if your dad was around for the first half of next month that might be an option? I've found a company on Gipsy Hill charging an average of £350 / visit, don't know if that's normal or not..?
It is indeed a completely internal wall and thanks Charlottedare I will put pencil marks at the ends of the cracks to monitor their progression.
Actually I did phone the insurance company hoping they'd send someone round but instead they told me to get 2 quotes... sounds a tad lazy to me...!

#6 Petal

Petal

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Unfortunately I have had problems with subsidence - first noticed rather worrying crack appear on an internal wall. I phoned my insurance company (The Pru) and they sent a structual engineer round to assess my property within 2 weeks. It was then monitored for about 6 months. I had a rather large tree at the side of my house that was sucking all the moisture out of the ground so this was duly chopped down and it now seems that all has settled down. The decoraters are in next week so I will be pleased to get to the end of this but by and large it has been pretty painless ( apart from the insurance excess ) mainly because I haven't had to arrange anything. The structural engineer
organised the the tree chopping and the decorator .

#7 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

I had a rather large tree at the side of my house that was sucking all the moisture out of the ground so this was duly chopped down and it now seems that all has settled down.

I guess the structural engineer knows what he is doing but I understood you shouldn't chop down large trees as the water they have been taking out of the soil is then released back and can cause "heave" as opposed to subsidence.

It certainly seems unusual for the insurance company to ask you to get quotes as normally they like to use their own companies.
aka Pie

#8 top o' the hill

top o' the hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

So, was anybody able to recommend a structural engineer locally? Need someone in pretty quick smart.

Cheers

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

I did a quick search on the RICS web site and came up with one local firm, Dobson & Poole in Belvedere Road. I used someone from this company 10 years ago when I had subsidence and he was very reliable.

http://www.ricsfirms...ch/results.aspx
aka Pie

#10 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi there, I phoned the insurance company again to check and they had sent me the wrong form! They will indeed send out their own people next week. Really hope it isn't subsidence as hoping to sell the property!!

(I did find a company on Gipsy Hill, M A Newsome who were willing to do a check for about £350 but no idea if they're any good, as I haven't had to use them.)

#11 scalarose

scalarose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

Is our house falling down?
Any updates on a good structural engineer? We've just bought a property that has suffered subsidence in the past. Our surveyor (Stapleton Long) said that underpinning works seem to have sorted this out. However, now we're in the property, we've discovered more cracks hidden behind wallpaper. I'd like someone to investigate further, any recommendations?

#12 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

Can anybody recommend a structural engineer in the area. We have discovered that there is no steel in our ceiling where a previous owner took out a load bearing wall!

#13 Woodvale

Woodvale

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

I'd recommend John Collins Associates in Beulah Road, Thornton Heath, tel: 8771 3721

They've been in the area for many years - John used to live on Downsview Road, so they are thoroughly familiar with the problems of subsidence and heave that we suffer on the hill.

#14 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

I also need to get the beam over my living room window looked at, as it has sagged somewhat over the years and the floor in the bedroom above is a bit wonky...I don't think the movement is recent, but I would like to get the beam checked and the floor righted again.

This was already picked up on the survey when I bought the property, that this needed to be dealt with - so I don't want to pay 350 - odd just for someone to come and survey it again and say 'yes, this needs to be fixed' - I need to actually get a quote for getting the structural work done!

I've spoken to my insurance company and they were not particularly helpful; they just suggested going back to the company who did the original survey and see if they can recommend a structural engineer? The surveyors were based in SE London anyway so hopefully they would recommend someone local, but if anyone else has any ideas that would be appreciated...

#15 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:44 AM

I seem to be following Guineagirl around this board today.....I have just emailed Colins to get a quote re. calculations for the knocking down of a chimney breast re. getting building control. Decided as he was based in Croydon area, will have good experience of dealing with the council.

I also need to get the beam over my living room window looked at, as it has sagged somewhat over the years and the floor in the bedroom above is a bit wonky...I don't think the movement is recent, but I would like to get the beam checked and the floor righted again.

This was already picked up on the survey when I bought the property, that this needed to be dealt with - so I don't want to pay 350 - odd just for someone to come and survey it again and say 'yes, this needs to be fixed' - I need to actually get a quote for getting the structural work done!

I've spoken to my insurance company and they were not particularly helpful; they just suggested going back to the company who did the original survey and see if they can recommend a structural engineer? The surveyors were based in SE London anyway so hopefully they would recommend someone local, but if anyone else has any ideas that would be appreciated...

Edited by Nick, 09 March 2009 - 11:27 AM.
fix quote