37 replies to this topic

#1 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

Hi,
I'm considering moving to South Norwood (on the east side of Portland Road) and was wondering what it is like to live round there? From a transport point of view it looks great but was more interested in the feel of the place and if people feel safe round there.

I lived in West Norwood from 98 to 03 which was ok (apart from being burgled 3 times) then moved away so have lost touch with the area a bit.

Any opinions welcomed!

Thanks
Willy

#2 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

Have you considered other areas? Sorry that does not sound very positive. I had a friend who lived in the area and I used to hate going to and from there in the evenings as it often felt threatening - sometimes you just get a vibe about a place. Having said that maybe it was a fear of the unknown, as I lived in Brixton for a few years (and loved it) and I suppose a lot of people would say the same thing about there too.

I think the transport links from Norwood Junction may be the most positive thing about the area (at the moment), but it will benefit from the East London Line extension and maybe this will be a catalyst for improvements.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#3 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

Given the choice I'd give it a wide berth. I grew up there (on the 'East side'!) and it was a pleasant enough place. My parents still live there so I'm a regular visitor and I can say it's gone rapidly downhill in the last 10 years. My main gripe with the area is the gangs of youths hanging around - ok, this is a feature of life in most areas but it seems to have more intimidating feel in South Norwood and it's getting worse. I've had confrontations on more than one occasion and I certainly don't feel safe there (whereas I've never had a problem in Sydenham, Crystal Palace or Forest Hill).

Not quite as bad as Thornton Heath or West Norwood but it's only a matter of time.

#4 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hmm, not quite the glowing response I was hoping for!

I'm looking at a couple of houses tomorrow and they seem good value, suppose the area is the reason...

#5 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

After a quarter century in Crystal Palace, 3 years living in South Norwood played a big part in my decision to move to Somerset...

Er... great transport links though. Every cloud, eh?

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Hi Willy.

Why don't you try Penge? It's not perfect by any means but I do reckon it could be a good place to invest in the long term. It has good transport links and is sandwiched between Crystal Palace, Sydenham and Beckenham so is more likely to 'up and come'. For me, the problem with South Norwood is that it is too near Thornton Heath and Croydon - the fact that people who know the area well say it's gone downhill is worrying. You would be better choosing somewhere that is going the other way, even if it's got quite a way to go.

Penge has some very nice, reasonably priced properties.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

Properties are cheaper in this particular neck of the woods but this may reflect lesser demand.

I have some friends who were unable to sell a property in the area you mention after six months of trying. The property itself is in good condition but demand was fairly low but this was 2 or so years ago. Things may well have changed.

Not much going on round there in terms of places to go either.

You always want to be able to sell in future any property you're going to buy so bear this in mind.

I lived in South Norwood (not quite where you're mentioning but nearer Selhurst Football Ground) and I would not choose to return or particularly commend it to be honest.

Norwood Junction does, however, have far better travel connections than Crystal Palace train station. One-stop trains into London Bridge are a real bonus.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#8 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

Properties are cheaper in this particular neck of the woods

Shouldn't that be this particular neck of the Norwoods?...

#9 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

South Norwood has one too many wannabe Boyz in da 'Wood, while we're at it. :ph34r:

Edited by jannism, 13 October 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#10 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

...oh, and steer clear of Arena tram stop after dark.

#11 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

I only go to South Norwood to visit the dentist, so have only seen it by daytime, but I noticed over the last year that the number of closed-down shops were increasing and it looked like an area in a state of long-term decline. I think Gekko's right that Penge might be a better bet in the longer term.

#12 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:26 AM

ok, Penge it is then!

I'm looking at acouple of houses in Kennilworth Road and Stoddard Road today, hopefully one of them is worth buying

#13 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

I've just moved from Auckland Road (CP) to a house off Portland Road. I said I would NEVER in a million years live in S Norwood but the houses are cheap and transport is so much better here.
My partner works at london Bridge and we are 5 mins from N. Junction station from which the fast trains take 10 mins.
There is hardly anywhere else in this part of South London where you can buy a house for under £200,000 (Penge is a little more expensive and trains to London are not great).
The street where we now live is lovely, the neighbours are very pleasant and friendly and this road is quiet. Yes, there are youths hanging around late at night and no branches of Starbucks on the high street but there is a baker, greengrocer, newsagent, hardware store at the end of the road. A good library, banks, postoffice and Somerfield in the high street. Adult learning centre, swimming pool and beautiful park in walking distance.
Having lived in this part of S. London all my life (West Norwood, CP and here), I don't think any are particulary nice safe beautiful places but if you're a streetwise south Londoner, you'll be fine and will get the most for your money here in S.Norwood.

#14 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:18 PM

I was there on Saturday and it was fine until some idiot started trying to pick a fight with me (it was Crystal Palace vs Cardiff). That has put me off the area as I'm not sure I want to deal with that when I pop out for a paper on a Saturday morning.

#15 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

How did you Penge viewings go, Willy?
Mel, Forum Moderator