• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

Haven't been yet, they are scheduled for Saturday but I have a good feeling as the houses look quite nice:

Penge house 1
penge house 2

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

Wow - that first one is a stunner! Hope it goes well with the viewings.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

I too am a fan of Penge. The town center is a bit low-budget, but you can get all kinds of necessary things there and it feels vibrant and diverse. For example, today I stopped by the shoe repair that also does knife sharpening (which I learned about on the VN website) and was really pleased by the friendly service. The grocery stores are good and open late, there are plenty of buses, and you are near one of the best parks in London (or will be when the new plans are all effected).

The houses you are looking at look great! But I'd comment that the walk from the station, assuming you are going from Penge East or West, will take you through the middle of the business district assumedly after hours. You might want to be a bit closer to the station if you can find a place on the other side of the main road, or up towards the park.

Transport via Penge East is pretty good. Its about 17 minutes to Victoria. If you miss the 2x/hour train, you can also go 2 stops to Beckenham Jcn and catch the express to Vicky, so there are effectively 4 trains/hour from Penge East. Also, the last train out of Vicky in the evening (12:25ish) makes its first stop at Penge East, which is a real bonus if you occasionally like to stay out for city fun.

#19 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

I used to play snooker at the snooker club next to the police station when I was a student so am resonably familiar with the delights of Penge. It used to be a bit run down then, but I've been to up the high street towards Bekenham recently and it looks ok.

As far as transport goes, I was thinking either using Anerley, Penge West or Clock House as I need to get to Liverpool Street so will need a London Bridge connection and when the East London Line is up will be able to go straight to Shoreditch High Street which is yards from my office.

Is walking through the business area dodgy or something?

I'm a bit limited by what is currently for sale (and my budget of course) and these are the only 2 houses that look halfway decent that aren't in South Norwood.

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

There are some nice houses around Crampton and Kingswood Roads and around Penge East. Easy walking distance from Penge West station and a stone's throw from the park, which I think is a real plus and may add value if we get our park redevelopment, tram and ELL.

Re Ziwa's comment about the business district - I think this just refers to the fact that there aren't really any bars and restaurants in Penge so when the shops shut, it can be a bit desolate except for youths hanging round the streets.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

You can get a 4-bed house in Upper Norwood for 320ish tho.

#22 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

can you? I haven't seen any on RightMove.....well none that I would buy

#23 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

http://www.findaprop...p;agentid=01569

#24 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

aah, but I'm fussy and want a Victorian/Edwardian house, I hate modern houses

#25 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Fair enough - I'm more fussy about the area than the house. Diff'rent strokes for Diff'rent folks!

#26 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

http://www.findaprop...p;agentid=00757

Hey Willy, out of interest...you didn't look at this house did you? I expect not for you as it is on the main road, but that stretch of houses looks pretty!

#27 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:23 PM

no, I didn't look at that one for exactly that reason, I'm a light sleeper!

The 2 I looked at were:

House 1 - needs some work

and

House 2 - bedrooms need sorting out

if they were somewhere else i would have been interested in both for the right price....

#28 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

Just being nosy really!!! House 1 is def a better location than 2.
Hope you find a good one. Presume you've def ruled out this area then? Managing to get a 2 bed house for only £40,000 more than my 1 bed flat in CP is what swung this location for me but as you've got a much bigger buget...

ps. The fruit and veg shop opposite Sainsburys in Penge is amazing!!!

#29 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

What is that old adage about buying property - it is better to buy the worst house in the best street rather than the best house in the worst street :ph34r: Or is it the other way round ? Where's Sarah Beeney when I need her?

#30 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

Keziah - yeah, South Norwood is out of the picture even though it is cheaper and the transport is a dream come true!

Spooks - I'm hoping Penge/Anerley will suddenly become the place everyone wants to live once the ELL comes in :)