House Hunting in South Norwood and Penge

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

it is better to buy the worst house in the best street rather than the best house in the worst street :ph34r:

That's the right way round! (ie. location, location, location).
aka Pie

#32 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:10 PM

I've lived in Penge for nearly 3 years and the place has grown on me and it feels like home. I've seen the trickle of young professionals moving to the area turn into a quite rapidly flowing stream. However, there's a healthy mix of people from many backgrounds, industries, areas of UK and other countries. No problems with the area itself , always felt safe, but there is a lack of decent pubs/bars/restaurants. High Street's ok, but a bit run down. It does have a certain laid-back charm, though. I quite like living somewhere that's got an edgy reputation and you meet some interesting characters around. It's a very friendly, neighbourly place, but that might just be my street. It 's a good place to escape the rush of central London. I like that I live close to the park and Crystal Palace triangle's not bad for the odd pint and it's got some great restaurants.
Victorian housing in the area is becoming more expensive and harder to come by and word from estate agents is you'll see a 20% increase in prices when ELLE arrives.

#33 Smoothy

Smoothy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

I'd be interested to know which part of Penge you live in. I've been living in Penge for the last 2 1/2 years between the Nissan dealers and Homebase and to be honest I have never settled in the area. There are a fair few professionals in there but there are also a fair few "undesirables" who make a noise, congregate and just simply give the area a bad vibe. Have never really felt that in South Norwood, although I do agree that it's going downhill in the last few years it doesn't seem to be at Penge or Thornton Heath level. I'm moving back into South Norwood in a few weeks though near the lakes. Hopefully this area will be nice and quiet, it certainitely was when I was living with my parents round there.

#34 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

Sounds like I'm the other side of the High Street to you, on the edge of Sydenham, very close to the park.

#35 FactoryGirl

FactoryGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

I moved to South Norwood three months ago the only place I could get a decent flat as a first-time buyer. I'm a few minutes' walk from Norwood Junction station and I haven't had any problems so far. The kids handing about might seem threatening but you get that most places in South London. I wouldn't write off South Norwood just yet, it could still go either way!

PS Mantanna Thai Restaurant on Portland Rd is fantastic.

#36 Ray

Ray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

Not quite as bad as Thornton Heath or West Norwood but it's only a matter of time.

:unsure: Care to elaborate a bit?

#37 dvon

dvon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

I lived in the heart of South Norwood for 5 years. All these comments about it being rundown and rough are untrue. I never experienced any problems. I regularly used to walk home late at night from the train/tramlink, and always felt safe. Yes, the High Street hasn't got a lot going for it yet, but once the ELL is complete, it'll be wonderful. Regeneration has started already, and the Estate Agents from around London know it is an up and coming area. So, if your looking to invest. you'll definalty be rubbing your hands together in 5-10 years time.....probably be more expensive than Upper Norwood!!!
I opened the salon in Crystal Palace 15 years ago, and believe me it was a hundred times rougher than South Norwood. We had to keep the salon door locked, and regularly, we had gangs stealing goods from delivery vans, robbing shops, and mugging shop owners of their tills!!! I never used to walk to any of the stations at night because of people getting raped/mugged.
Yes there are hoodies that hang around on the streets, but don't they everywhere...
I lived in Clapham before that and always drove everywhere because the Northern Line was such a joke. Living in South Norwood, I could be in Oxford St in 30 mins ( with the fast London Bridge Train), and at Gatwick Airport in 35 minutes.
And there is a gorgeous Country Park too.
So please stop being so negative about it.

#38 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

Willy, how did your house viewings in Penge go?

I've lived in Penge for 3 years now and haven't regretted it. We live in a large victorian terrace near Penge East station. Over the years I have noticed that people are starting to take more pride in their surroundings with many houses and gardens being refurbished. I too have noticed a steady stream of professionals moving into the area.

With the LDA's regeneration of Crystal Palace Park, the ELL extension and the tramlink to Palace, I think this may be an area that will boom in the next 5 - 10 years (it took East Dulwich almost 10 years to become desirable from a previously no-go area) so I would recommend investing now if you can. Roads that I would recommend looking at are Crampton, Kingswood, Mosslea, Montrave, Phoenix. You should be able to buy a 3 bedroom house in your price range. Its a quiet area with many those roads being no-through roads. They are also ideal for transportation - both Penge East and West stations are a 5 minute walk away.

I have to say that Penge feels remarkably safe - I haven't felt threatened walking home late at night from the stations and I haven't been aware of any muggings or groups of gangs/hoodies hanging around either.

Parts of Penge are a bit rough and run down, but other parts are fine so people shouldn't completely write it off.

What Penge lacks that Crystal Palace has in abundance are a few decent restaurants and pubs to lift the profile of the place .