• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

This year fireworks at Clapham Common, Streatham Common and Brockwell Park will be held from 7.25pm on Friday 3 November. Anyone got any info on whether they'll be any at Crystal Palace this year?

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Yes. But unfortunately I can't remember where I saw this mentioned and it isn't listed on Bromley's events list yet. I think it was on the CP Foundation web site but their web site is having some problems.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

The minutes of the CRYSTAL PALACE & NORWOOD CHAMBER OF COMMERCE meeting held on 4th July 2006 state the following:

"Ice Rink

Karen said that the ice rink would be operating again this winter, sponsored by the LDA. Its opening on the weekend of 25-26 November would coincide with the Crystal Palace Foundation's events to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Crystal Palace fire. Karen added that the Foundation had asked for the traditional 5th November firework display to be moved to this weekend. "

I am not sure whether this has been agreed yet?

#4 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

They better get their skates on ;)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#5 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:53 AM

Anyone got any info on whether they'll be any at Crystal Palace this year?

from other threads - I would say every night on Central Hill :)

#6 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

Actually, I phoned Bromley Council last Friday about this and the lady confirmed there wouldn't be any fireworks on/around the 5th of November and that there were indeed plans to have fireworks to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the burning down of the Crystal Palace on the weekend of the 25/26th, though the actual date hadn't been confirmed yet.

Have they done this before? Bit ironic commemorating fire with fire.... :huh:

#7 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the update Papillon. Let's hope the fireworks display will be in the tradition of those originally held at the Crystal Palace - now that would be something exciting!! ;)

Hope we get confirmation soon.

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for that info Papillon.

I think this is a great idea. It'll be nice to spend some time celebrating the Crystal Palace rather than debating what we should build on the site of it. I think there's something rather poignant about evoking the events of 1936 by lighting up the sky again. Seems to me more worthwhile than celebrating the fact that some guy tried and failed to blow up Parliament.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

Does anyone know if there are to be any ? The last lot we had several years ago were way and above any of the other shows and it would be nice if that happened again. :)

Anopheles

#10 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

On the 30th of November we are in for a treat. It will be a spectacular event commemorating the 70th anniversary of the burning down of the Crystal Palace. I have a feeling that this will be one not to miss. It will start with a presentation at 6pm and the fireworks will start at 6.30. They will last for half an hour so don't be late!

#11 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for that info Silver, I'll pass the word round.
Anopheles

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

That's great news - looking forwards to it.

It's a shame it's so early in the evening though as I'll have to leave work early to make it in time. I think this might mean a lot of people miss the event. Do you know why they chose to do it so early when it's a weekday?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

There is a firework display at the Railway bell, On Saturday from 8 ish onwards put on by the landlord, sure it will be a lot of fun. Real Ale, spot of food led to believe. Get on down...

#14 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

All very exciting - my parents are coming to visit me from 25/11 so that'll be a good event to introduce them to the Crystal Palace --- my mum was born the year the Palce went on fire ... I blamed her!!! he he he
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#15 Julius

Julius

• Sponsors
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

Hello everyone. I have been reading all the correspondence on the firework display and why there is no firework display at Crystal Palace. I will now answer all of you and say that I am responsible for Crystal Palace Park not having a firework display for Guy Fawkes night.

As Silver has already explained this year marks the 70th anniversary of the Crystal Palace fire. As the events organiser of the Crystal Palace Foundation and I asked the LDA and Bromley Council if they could move the date to the end of November so we could commemorate this anniversary.

Bromley Council agreed and the LDA and CPF are now putting on a spectacular fireworks display that people will enjoy and not forget for a long time to come. The reason the fireworks are starting at 6.30pm is because the CPF are also giving an illustrated talk at the Salvation Army Hall at 8.30pm.

Originally the display was organised for November 25th but the Ice Show organisers thought the fireworks would be to noisy and disturb their performances, so they asked us to move the date. This we did and that is why it is on the 30th Nov.

It is only for this year so it's something to look forward too. I hope this clears this mystery up.