• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#16 Ladybette

Ladybette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

I'm completly behind the celebration for the c.p fire and was looking forward to going with my husband but I have to admit that I'm disappointed to learn that the fireworks will be on the 30th, a Thursday at 6:30...I won't be home from work by then and I'll miss it. If it can't be on the 25th why not the 26th, a sunday? I feel that there will be alot of people that will miss out because they can't leave work early.

Edited by Ladybette, 02 November 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#17 Chef

Chef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

Good point you have raised there Ladybette.

I myself was looking forward to taking my wife for a burger and hot chocolate but, will be working on that particular night.

#18 Julius

Julius

• Sponsors
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

Dear Chef and Lillibet

Please read my email of why the firework display date is changed under Entertainments and Activities because I am the one that changed the date and times and why it starts at 6.30pm. Any questions I will be pleased to answer.

#19 Chef

Chef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

I understood the reasons for the change of date. I was merely voicing my disapointment at not being able to see the fireworks.

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hi Julius. Thanks for joining the forum and explaining the reasons behind the choice of date and time.

However, I must say I'm still highly disappointed and feel that the time was not selected with the local community in mind. I understand that there is a talk at 8.30pm but as more people will be interested in the fireworks than the talk (not that I don't think the talk is important because it is) would it not make sense to run the fireworks later and have the talk earlier or even on another night?

Whilst commemorating the burning down of the Palace is a fantastic idea, the people of Crystal Palace have been deprived of their Bonfire Night fireworks because of this celebration. I think it's important that you go all out to make the alternate display as accessible as possible to the local community. Unfortunately, you timing means that many many residents who have to work for a living will be excluded from this event.

I will be very sorry to miss this important commemoration.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

ditto
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#22 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:04 PM

ditto here too. .

#23 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

Would it be safe to assume that if the anniversary had fallen in June that the fireworks would still be happening at 6.30? :ph34r:

#24 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

Spooks, I very much doubt that Julius is going to engage with us on a meaningful discussion if we just throw sarcastic comments at him.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#25 Ladybette

Ladybette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

gekko, Thanks for saying exactly what i wanted to say! ( did see the bit about the dates, sorry)And chef, thanks for the support but seeing as you are my husband I think our replys just count as one!

#26 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Firstly I apologise for any unintended offence and let me say that i think the idea of moving the fireworks display to comemerate the Crystal Palace fire is a great, albeit ironic one.
But, judging from the opinions on this board, I think I am not alone in feeling that they have been somewhat high-jacked, and that the schedule for the evening has been drawn up for the convience of the organisers rather then for the general public.
But maybe there are some very good reasons - and I am happy to be corrected.

#27 Julius

Julius

• Sponsors
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Everyone

We really wanted the display for Saturday 25th November but it could not be done.

Just to reiterate the other reason for the fireworks starting at 6.30pm is because the Ice Show organisers thought that the fireworks would make to much noise and thus disturb the performances. Their shows start at 7.30pm in the week with two performances at the weekend starting at 3.30pm and 7.30pm so we had no choice.

I can only apologise to you all but in this day and age there is such a thing called flexitime at work. You all have a month why not book an hour off. The Ice Show by the way is on untill January.

#28 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

I can only apologise to you all but in this day and age there is such a thing called flexitime at work. You all have a month why not book an hour off.

Because it is not that easy and many people don't get flexitime. I will express the same opinion as most posters that this time is not convenient. You will get smaller crowds and all people will remember is how they couldn't go. And frankly why can't the ice show move back?

Instead of being an event to bring the community together, many of us have lost our local event this year. :angry:
Nick, Forum Moderator

#29 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

I dont understand why an Ice Show being held in the stadium can have a say on what happens in a neighbouring park. They will have a contract with the Stadium not the park. Why were they listened too?
Fireworks at 6:30 on a week day due to a talk at 8:30 :blink: . I hope its success though.

Edited by Axean, 03 November 2006 - 10:56 PM.

#30 tiamaria

tiamaria

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

I think that that fireworks on thurs 30th is a brilliant idea - well done Julius for organising this. Guys - we could have had no fireworks at all! It also sets us apart from all the other fireworks nights going on around the area tonight. If something could be done about the time it would make sense though - it would be money badly spent if hardly anyone shows up. I can't see too many people being able to make it. I myself work 9-6pm in town and can't see the boss being too pleased about leaving an hour early for a fireworks display!! (about priority Z in the corporate world...)!!