• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#31 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

Originally the display was organised for November 25th but the Ice Show organisers thought the fireworks would be to noisy and disturb their performances, so they asked us to move the date. This we did and that is why it is on the 30th Nov.

Hi Julius and thank you for the further explanation. I'm still a little confused as to the change of date - see above - as the same situation now applies to both dates. Maybe you could enlighten us further as to why the 25th was impossible?

#32 Julius

Julius

• Sponsors
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

Thank you timara and I realise there will be people working in London finishing late but we did all we could to make the time later but again it wasn't possible. Everyone, this is the 70th anniversary commemoration of the Crystal Palace fire and I'm sure many of you who want to come could get an hour or so off work just for this date.

There are four weeks to go, a little time yet. There won't be another like this for a very long time so lets look forward to the biggest and best firework display this side of South London.

#33 Richard Williams

Richard Williams

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

I can understand peoples frustration at the timing of the display. We must also remember that it is a Thursday and many children need to be in bed early for school the next day.

BTW I am finishing work at 5pm on the day so will be able to make it. :P

#34 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

I'm sure many of you who want to come could get an hour or so off work just for this date.

Whilst commemorating the burning down of the Crystal Palace is right up there in important occasions for those of us who live here, I would concur with Tiamaria's comments about it being 'priority Z in the corporate world'. Many people who live elsewhere, don't even know where CP is. Also, it's not even that many people will be 'finishing late'; I just don't think the norm is 9-5 for most people.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#35 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I can understand peoples frustration at the timing of the display. We must also remember that it is a Thursday and many children need to be in bed early for school the next day.

Its a shame people didn't realise that this weekend - On Saturday there were fireworks still being let off at 1.00am! and last night I could hear people screaming and shouting and letting them off until past 10.00pm

#36 charlottedare

charlottedare

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

Fireworks in the park has been a great yearly event - anyone else remember Billie Piper wiggling away on stage as our star guest one year?

Huge shame that it's not more accessible for most of us.

#37 Jenny

Jenny

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

This early start is great for small kids, if your normal bedtime is 7-7.30 staying up for one of the displays can be hard work.

After all, fireworks are for kids really aren't they? Not for the big people who work in the officey-wofficey all day :lol:

#38 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

anyone else remember Billie Piper wiggling away on stage as our star guest one year?

That was in 2000

European.vote - EU Referendum

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

Excellent James!

#40 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

Anyone else remember Billie Piper wiggling away on stage as our star guest one year?

I'd get time off work for that... :ph34r:
Nick, Forum Moderator

#41 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

I do not really have much to add to this other than my disappointment at not being able to be there. Both my boyfriend and I work until 6pm (and we donít have flexi-time) so the earliest we will be back is 6.45-7pm. The event itself sounds like it will be terrific and one to be praised but there is no question of me being let off 1 hour early. I could have taken half a day of as holiday but I have used it all up!

I suppose I could invent a dentist or doctorís appointment...... <_<

#42 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Great photos James!

What about having a VN social right afterwards? We can wrap up all kinds of good things in one.

#43 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

What about having a VN social right afterwards? We can wrap up all kinds of good things in one.

Sounds good... But I've got a feeling the bruv-in-law's coming round...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#44 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

The social events are proposed for mid November (date coming soon) and early December, so we don't clash with everyone's Christmas plans.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#45 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hi Julius, I am lucky in that I should be able to make a 6.30 pm date with the fireworks. However the talk doesn't start until 8.30 which leaves 1Ĺ hours from the end of the fireworks to get to the Phoenix Centre - about a 5 minute walk. So could the fireworks start at 7.00 pm instead? Surely that wouldn't be too late for the kiddies and shouldn't disrupt the ice show either.

Edited by Sylvester, 08 November 2006 - 01:49 PM.

aka Pie