#1 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

MMMMmmm... where to start.

Lifestyle
Living in the 'posh' houses on Stambourne Way. Collecting wood for the fire in the woods now called Stambourne Woodland Walk. Getting coal from the greengrocers at the bottom of Anerley Hill by Hamlet Road.

Food
The bakers always smelling of cooked sausage rolls on Westow Hill (about opposite McDonalds now), the supermarket thingy where McDonalds now is. Getting Alphabetty Spaghetti from the Tesco for lunch. Chips from the chippy by the pedestrian crossing on Anerley Road.

Hobbies
Airfix models for £1 from the toy shop on Central Hill, innertubes from the bike shop. Saturday mornings spent in the children's library upstairs. Bracelets made of sweets from the cafe in CP Park. Going for a picnic after school in the hot sun, on the rec by Hermitage Road. Drinking the water from the fountain on Eversley Road. Buying Mastertronic computer games (I know it's a bit later) from Wards Newsagent on the corner opposite the top of Gipsy Hill.

The CP foundation and Norwood Society
Delivering the Norwood Society booklets all around Norwood for my father. Going to the annual fundraiser in the subway underneath Crystal Palace Parade, or in the backgarden of the vicarage on Church Road.

Ring any bells?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#2 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

Lifestyle
Living in the 'posh' houses on Stambourne Way. Collecting wood for the fire in the woods now called Stambourne Woodland Walk. Getting coal from the greengrocers at the bottom of Anerley Hill by Hamlet Road.

Also Parafin from the first machines to dispense it - I think it took a 2 shilling piece for a gallon !

Food
The bakers always smelling of cooked sausage rolls on Westow Hill (about opposite McDonalds now), the supermarket thingy where McDonalds now is. Getting Alphabetty Spaghetti from the Tesco for lunch. Chips from the chippy by the pedestrian crossing on Anerley Road.

Was that bakers called Kennedys ???? Pork pies to die for...

Hobbies
Airfix models for £1 from the toy shop on Central Hill, innertubes from the bike shop. Saturday mornings spent in the children's library upstairs. Bracelets made of sweets from the cafe in CP Park. Going for a picnic after school in the hot sun, on the rec by Hermitage Road. Drinking the water from the fountain on Eversley Road. Buying Mastertronic computer games (I know it's a bit later) from Wards Newsagent on the corner opposite the top of Gipsy Hill.

Also the model shop before the bridge at S.Norwood station.. Remember cutting my finger real bad on a bike in the bike shop at about the age of 10 or 12 the owners were an old couple back then.

The CP foundation and Norwood Society
Delivering the Norwood Society booklets all around Norwood for my father. Going to the annual fundraiser in the subway underneath Crystal Palace Parade, or in the backgarden of the vicarage on Church Road.

No mention of all the babes that used to come from the USA and stay at they Queens Hotel !
I think they all used to stay for about 1 month and were all in the age group of about 16 to 20 and there was about 100 at any one time.... This was early 70's

#3 sally brooks

sally brooks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Is there anyone on this board who used to go to Westow Youth Club around 1970 - 1972. If so, Hi!

#4 helena

helena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Inspired by the subway project is looking for people who have any memories of the crystal palace subway such as fundraisers, superdays etc that they would like to share. There will be an exhibition in September 2014.

please get in touch if you are interested at inspired@cpsubway.org.uk