• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

Does anyone have any experience of Julia Wheatley's yoga classes? Does she teach Hatha? What is she like?

Are there any other good classes locally?

I've let my yoga slip over recent months, and miss it LOADS so am keen to find a good local teacher for when I move. :)

(I know there's a thread in the archives about this but it's read only so I couldn't add a reply there)

#2 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

I think there is one at the Sports centre on a saturday and Pilates on a Sunday

#3 Lilian

Lilian

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

I go to a yoga class in Bromley on a Monday night which I love. It's an hour and three quarters and is only £7...

#4 cat17

cat17

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

I have a great teacher, Anoushka (http://www.anoushkasyoga.com/). I've been going to her classes for over 2 years now and each week we do something different. The classes are based in Earlsfield though (near where I used to live) so it is a bit of a trek. Each class is 1.5 hours and is £9-10 (they're booked in blocks so it depends on the number of weeks etc).

#5 Petal

Petal

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

There used to be a yoga class at the scout hut in Cintra park every Tuesday ( I think). I'll be going past there tomorrow morning so I'll have a look for you.

#6 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hi tealight. I wasn't that impressed with Julia's class to be honest. I feel bad saying that because she seemed lovely, but I just felt that the class was too casual. There didn't seem to be that many regulars which felt odd and there didn't seem to be any structure to it. I'm used to Mano's excellent classes in South Wimbledon (http://www.omyoga.co.uk/) so maybe that has raised my expectations a bit high. If you're more into the relaxation and gentle stretching side of yoga, Julia's class would be perfect, but if you want to do it for fitness, tone, flexibility and all that blah de blah, probably give it a miss.

Has anyone tried the class above the Gipsy Hill tavern? Keep failing to get to it to try it out. I'd love to find a good class nearby. http://www.jaynenich...com/classes.php

Carla, who teaches in Anerley and South Norwood seemed lovely when I called her (ages ago!) but her classes are just a bit too late - I may as well just go to Mano's and I'll be home at the same time.

http://www.healthourfocus.com/yoga.asp

Edited by belle, 07 November 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#7 uk72

uk72

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

Has anyone tried the classes at Antenna Studio? They seem to have 3 yoga classes a week as well as Tai Chi, and life drawing.

http://www.antennast.../...3&Itemid=86

I've been meaning to go for ages, but am yet to get around to it.

#8 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

Cat17, I've seen Anoushka's classes on the web and thought they looked good. The only trouble is the transport - it seems a long way to go.

Belle, Mano's classes look incredible! But slightly intense! Did you have much experience before starting with him? I've been used to Hatha practice, and more specifically Vini, which focuses on building up slowly. I'd like to stick with Hatha & the more spiritual side of yoga (rather than just the fitness), but I'd also like to develop my practice further than it was going (and working toward some more advanced asanas).

I shall check out the other links, too. Thanks everyone!

#9 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hello,
Has anyone tried the Jayne Nichols classes above the Gipsy Tavern Inn, nr GH station?
I'm thinking of going along and wondered whether anyone had a recommendation. I'm not going to be able to go until mid March anyway, because of other commitments, but this would be really handy for me, as I could drop in on my way home.

#10 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hi Tealight Rookie,

Did you end up trying Julia's classes? I'd like to try one of her classes and see what she's like but am looking for some first hand feedback before I rush off to buy a yoga mat!

Cheers,

Molly

#11 uk72

uk72

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

Hi Molly

I went to yoga at the Phoenix Centre a few years ago, I don't know if it was Julia's class. It wasn't really for me - I found that the class was too big and the yoga was pretty dull, it was more like a relaxation class (apart from the stripped lighting in the hall was too bright). As I said, it was a few years ago, so it may well have changed. I'd love to know if it has changed as I'd like to find a good local yoga class.

Edited by James, 19 April 2007 - 08:44 AM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply

#12 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback uk72. My partner would be coming with me & he's never done yoga before so maybe he wouldn't get the assistance he'd need in such a big class. The strip lighting could definately be off putting during the last 15 minutes of the session.

Does anyone else have any recent feedback on Julia's classes?

Cheers!

#13 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

Does anyone know of any classes on the West Norwood side of things?
Rachel
My link

#14 mandyt

mandyt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

I like Julia Wheatley but the classes are boring and too slow.
I'm trying a kundalini yoga class tonight on gipsy hill so will let you know how it goes.

does anyone know if the gipsy hill tavern classes are still running?

#15 dvon

dvon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Does anyone know of any classes on the West Norwood side of things?

Try qiyoga.org.uk

Tel no 0207 207 0622

Fiona is a fantastic yoga teacher, and is based in St Julians Farm Rd. Just take a look at her website. The classes are small and very personal unlike so many others I have been to.