10 replies to this topic

#1 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hello lovely Norwoodians,

I'm thinking about doing some volunteer work this Christmas, possibly with Crisis Open Christmas, but given that I've never done anything like this before I'm a little unsure. So... I wondered if any of the lovely people here had any such experience, horror stories (unlikely) or warming tales?

Cheers!

#2 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

I was interested in doing this too. I'd be quite interested in hearing any advice on what it's like

#3 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

I would recommend getting in touch with the local Rotary Club. Meetings are held at Lorenzo's restaurant every week and guests are always welcome - just pop in to the restaurant to enquire. There are all sorts of opportunities available throughout the year and they also organise a huge Christmas Party for the OAPs in the Phoenix Centre. There is another Rotary club in Sydenham if anyone lives there.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#4 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

I volunteer for the food chain (www.foodchain.org.uk) the nearest location is Tooting and there is also a kitchen in Bermondsey- If you like cooking and can only really volunteer at the weekend its perfect. If you are not a cook we also always need drivers and navigators to help deliver the meals.

If anyone wants any more information please feel free to PM me

#5 whydelilah

whydelilah

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hi...

Anyone know of any volunteering programmes around CP or nearby? I feel the need to be a little more altruistic. In an ideal world it'd be ecology or environment related; I'm not great with kids so I'd rather not work with children and I used to be a journalist so am happy to use those skills. I could manage an evening a week, perhaps some time at the weekends as well.

#6 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

I had to re-read this several times - volunteering for volunteer work? The options are many (although I'd agree, often child focussed).

Please PM me if you'd like to talk - happy to help you find something heartwarming, yet challenging!

Urma

#7 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:59 PM

For anyone who is happy to work with children .....

Across the country, there are 50,000 girls waiting to join Brownies and Guides because there aren't enough adult volunteers to create new groups or expand existing ones. The movement has been revamped in recent years and is open to girls and women of any faith, denomination, race or ethnic background. There are also some opportunities (admittedly fewer) for men to volunteer too.

The Girlguiding UK website - www.girlguiding.org.uk - has more information.

#8 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

Hi,
I did Crisis at Christmas a couple of times when I lived over near Deptford - It's a really good experience and you meet some very interesting people. Would definitely recommend it!

#9 whydelilah

whydelilah

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

Thanks folks...and for other people wanting to do their 'bit' this is a great website: www.do-it.org.uk. Amazing what pops up if you search under your local area. For example, the CP museum is, or was, looking for volunteers.

#10 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the site address whydelilah, I've just registered to work with animals and already feel a slightly better person :D

#11 Canuckmama

Canuckmama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

Wow, all these answers really make me feel like there are lots of opportunities out there.
I have volunteered in the past and would recommend it to anyone. You can easily choose something not children oriented. I worked for a while with a "meals on wheels" program in Montreal for elderly people, and it was a great experience. I was a usher and receptionist in a theater in Dublin too, I am sure you'll find something.
Thanks for all the answers. :)