Life Drawing Classes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hi everyone - just saw the posters for life drawing at Antenna Studios on Thursdays at 7pm - just wanted to know if anyone had been to it and what they thought of the class..... (nervous artist dying to pick up a pencil again!)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#2 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hi

I know that your advert has been on this page for a while, so i have decided to answer it.

I am the Life Drawing tutor at Antenna Studios. My class has been running for approx. 6-8 weeks now. It is a new class, which I took over from another teacher who had only been running it for one month previous to myself.

Antenna Studios is tucked away on Haynes lane off Westow Street in Crystal Palace. The small road goes downhill to the bottom. Turn left and you will see a black building/yard on the left hand side,’ Antenna Studios'.

I have some regular students who enjoy the class and are really appreciative of a place to practice life drawing in Crystal Palace. I have a wide variety of male and female models, who I regularly change, do that he students receive a broad figure drawing experience. The students abilities range from complete beginners to advance so your friend will be fine. I will be there anyway to give the best possible guidance based on my own personal experience of drawing and painting.

I have been a secondary school teacher for seven years and am now a freelance artist and part time tutor.

The class costs £10 per session, but some students only come for one hour and pay just £5. I do provide good quality cartridge paper at 20pence a sheet, and some basic materials free of charge.

I hope this is all useful. Please contact me if you have any further queries, email me.

Regards,

Caron
Life drawing tutor :rolleyes:

#3 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

The course
Within the first term has covered:

• The fundamentals of drawing from the figure in proportion, encouraging drawing round the figure from various angles.
• Use of various mediums, mainly ink, charcoal and other simple drawing methods.
• Drawing at short, medium and long intervals
• Some practice of drawing the figure in motion.

Antenna Studios is tucked away on Haynes lane off Westow Street in Crystal Palace. The small road goes downhill to the bottom. Turn left and you will see a black building/yard on the left hand side,’ Antenna Studios'.

I have some regular students who enjoy the class and are really appreciative of a place to practice life drawing in Crystal Palace. I have a wide variety of male and female models, which I regularly change, so that the students receive a broad figure drawing experience. The student’s abilities range from complete beginners to advance

We are approaching the end of the first term in Life Drawing at Antenna Studios. The last day of this term is Thursday December 21st 2006.

The following is an overview of the class so far and for future lessons starting in January.

Next term we will cover:

• Drawing the figure in motion, quick poses at the start of each lesson
• Longer engaged drawings of up to 1 hour in order to supplement your portfolios with more finished work.
• Collage and colour in more depth. (i.e. watercolour, pastels and colour pencils)
• Some gallery visits outside of the life drawing located time. Meeting up as a group to visit galleries in central London and local exhibitions

The third term will entail:

• Composition and perspective.
• Longer sustained poses.
• Oil painting, Acrylic and watercolour classes
• An exhibition of all students work in a local cafι or gallery with a private view in celebration of successfully completion of Life Drawing course at Antenna Studios, 2006-2007.

Fees

The class currently costs £10 per session. Some students pay £5 for half a session.
Cartridge paper now costs 20pence a sheet as the tutor has had to order and pay for this herself.

Antenna Studios has asked me to charge our students in advance for one term. I do understand the convenience of a drop in class, however the advantages of paying upfront means that I will be able to provide more materials for the class, and to continue providing a wide a variety of male and female models.

The fees for one term are currently £130 for 13wks, £120 for 12 wks. I am offering a discount of £20 subject to at least 15 students signing up. Therefore students will only need to pay £110 per term.

For more information, please contact me via the forum messaging options.

I look forward to seeing you next term, commencing, January 11th 2007. We will break for Easter April 5th 2007, which is a total of 13 weeks.

Edited by James, 10 January 2007 - 04:24 PM.

#4 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hi Caron,

It sounds like you are moving from a drop in to completely subscription for your course, is that right? For the timid, who are wannabes, have drawn only a bit or lost their momentum, it is much easier to commit to a few classes than a full semester and a hundred squid. Any way for that to happen? Anybody out there want to split a subscription? (PM me if so - I'm thinking of a drawing class pack as an Xmas present too)

Ziwa

#5 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hi Ziwa,

Thank you for your message. Hope you had a wonderful xmas and new year.

The Life Drawing class at Antenna Studios was and still is a drop in class. My intentions are for the class to eventually develop into a subscription only class, as this would benefit both the student and tutor.

Please feel free to join my class tomorrow evening 7-9pm. As it is the first session of the year, I am making a special introductory discount offer of £5 for two hours instead of £10.

I hope you take up my offer. The class is open to all levels from complete beginners to advance.

Looking forward to meeting you.

All the best

Caron

#6 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hi Caron,

You've said that the class tomorrow night is open to all levels but I was looking to learn some of the fundamentals of drawing. Will you be starting the second term syllabus (i.e. drawing the figure in motion) or is this a new class completely?

#7 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

Hi Ged,

I will be starting the second syllabus, (drawing the figure in motion). This requires some experience. However, I do have strategies that will enable the beginner to practice to his or her full potential. You will be suprised how easy it is.

The lesson normally begins with quick poses which is intentional for warming up purposes. The only difference is that I will be encoraging students to draw from the moving figure instead. Then I normally move on to longer more sustained poses, and by this time the students have loosened up, so then find drawing from direct observation far more easier.

Are you looiking for a life drawing class. What level of practice do you already have?

Caron

#8 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

I have no experience at all! :blink:

I wasn't particularly looking for a life drawing class but the syllabus you mentioned covered everything I was interested in (sketching with pencil, charcoal and pastels, painting with watercolour, acryllic and oils). The reason I was interested was because the class is local. Do you think your class would be suitable?

#9 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hi Ged,

Drawing from the figure is both challenging and rewarding. I would advice that anyone that wishes to attend my classes, whether a complete beginner or advanced is really interested in drawing the figure. One can only grow to enjoy becoming good at what they do if they have an interest in it in the first place.

If you would like to learn how to draw, you will do by attending my classes on a regular basis. There are many ways of learning and by far the most effective is, through practice.

Come along tomorrow and pay the introductory price for the first session.

Look forward to meeting you

Caron

#10 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Hi I would like to come to the class but am busy tomorrow. Can I come along next week?

#11 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

Certainly you may attend the class next week. Look forward to meeting you.

#12 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

I will most probably coming along next week also. What do we need to bring with us?
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#13 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

mmm- I'm quite tempted by the life drawing class as well!

I don't know whether I'd be able to make it a regular thing though. :(

Ged - I used to go to a Drawing and Painting class in Sydenham which covered 'a bit of everything' - different media, still life, life drawing, drawing from imagination, etc.

It's on Monday evenings and think you can join at any time during the term - there is a prospectus on Lewisham Council's website under adult education.

I must admit I quit after one term though as I personally just didn't get on with the teacher.

#14 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi Twinkle. Lovely to hear from you, and Hi weeble too. Would be lovely to see you both at the class next week. Please bring along with you a 2B pencil, colour pencils, (watercolour pencils are good), one soft brush, a small sketch book and a rubber. That should be anough for now.

Look forward to meeting you at Antenna studios.

#15 Caron

Caron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, we had a great life drawing session yesterday.

As from next week the price of the class is normal, £10 for two hours, but if you bring a friend you can do two hours for just £5. If you decide to pay for the whole term in advance, it will just work out at £3.50 per hour thereafter.

Here is the break down:

Option 1:
To pay by subscription, (in advance), the benefits you will gain are:
12 weeks remaining of term at a reduced fee of £3.50 per hour, £7 per session for two hours as apposed to £10, a very competitive fee of just £84 for the whole term instead of £120. This excludes materials. Of course I will still be providing cartridge paper at 20pence per sheet as before.

Option 2:
Drop in 2hour session:
As per normal, you pay £5 per hour or £10 per session.

This term we are using colour and there will be an introduction to movement and quick poses at the start of each lesson. I had one beginner yesterday who did very well with the applied approach.

If you have any questions, please email or post. Has usual any positive input in enhancing the running of the class will be welcome. Is anyone out there interested in Portraiture lessons also?
:rolleyes:

Edited by Caron, 12 January 2007 - 10:23 AM.