• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic recent deterioration in Southern's train service to Victoria? I spent 35 minutes on Balham station platform waiting for the train to CP last Friday evening (not a single train on the down line in that time). Yesterday evening the train was 10 minutes late, this morning the 7.55 from CP to Victoria was 20 minutes late. Various excuses, "signalling", "waiting for a member of the train crew" etc. but no mention of the dreaded leaves.

#2 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

yeah yesterday they cancelled trains and the rest - this morning I was lucky the 7.10 from GH to LB was on time (the 7.11 was delayed though - of course)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#3 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

Every train I've got in the morning since last Monday has been significantly delayed. The excuse "track conditions" was used yesterday...

#4 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

It's been bad since the weather took a turn for the worse. I think it is the leaves, but I think they're scared to admit it for fear of ridicule

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:37 PM

wrong kind of weather isn't it? ;)

I rarely had much luck with that 07.55 from CP to Victoria - but the 07.42 is generally on time. Of course now I've posted that, it will all change. :(

If the evening trains from Victoria are poor - as they have been recently - it is sometimes worth taking a train off the Kent platforms to Herne Hill and then catching a No. 3 or - if you live towards Beulah Hill/All Saints church - the 196.

This option is not recommended after a heavy night out though - as there is a risk of waking up somewhere near Dover. :o

Andrew

Edited by andreas, 21 November 2006 - 01:38 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

Yes when returning from Victoria try the Herne Hill option as that line out from Victoria to West Croydon via Clapham Junction seems so hit and miss.

When I lived in South Norwood for a year the 8.53 Victoria service never and I mean never arrived at 8.53. I don't know what time it reached Crystal Palace but sometimes it felt like near mid-day.

The First Capital Connect services (replaced Thameslink earlier this year) are also not that reliable. Delays and recently cancellations (last Friday was an interesting one) can add the least evocative form of unpredicability you would want on your journey home.

Yes there is a risk of waking in Dover Priory on the Herne Hill route after a few Panda Shandies. You could then make a bad situation worse by catching a ferry. :rolleyes:

BTW isn't waiting on platform 3 at Crystal Palace in the cold winter morning sunshine one of the more pleasant places to wait for a train? Not a regular spot for me but had a meeting first thing outside of my workplace so had a different place to get to....

Edited by Uncle Wilf, 21 November 2006 - 02:05 PM.

Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#7 Jenny

Jenny

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:55 PM

I did that once (when not drunk) and ended up at Beckenham Junction OK not too far away, but bad enough.

#8 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

When living in Swanley, I woke up in Rochester on more than one occasion - £50 taxi back. Ouch!

Mate of mine ended up in Oxford when he should have got off at Maidenhead, and another went up and down the Victoria line about 3 times on xmas eve! :P

But back on topic - I've also noticed the train delays getting worse... :(
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#9 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

Yes, I know someone who has walked home from Croydon West having missed Gipsy Hill Station. I'll mention no names!! ;) ;)

#10 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

I did that once (when not drunk) and ended up at Beckenham Junction OK not too far away, but bad enough.

How'd you manage to get a train from platform 3 to Beckenham Junction? They come from Sydenham and go to Gipsy Hill... :blink: :huh: :unsure:

#11 Chef

Chef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:27 PM

I work in Canary Wharf and have now opted for the Jubilee line to Canada Water then the East London line to New Cross Gate, this leaves you two options either the train to Crystal Palace or one to Anerley then bus. I know a bit of a journey but, it saves standing on a platform at London Bridge.

A friend I knew who worked for the trains said delays will always occur on a Monday morning as they move the rollingstock on Mondays.

#12 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

Seems there were issues again today - the 7.12 from WN to LB was late - I hopped on a bus down to Tulse HIll and made it for the delayed train from wimbledon.

#13 Jenny

Jenny

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

How'd you manage to get a train from platform 3 to Beckenham Junction? They come from Sydenham and go to Gipsy Hill... :blink: :huh: :unsure:

Heh? I used to get the Orpington train from Victoria to West Dulwich, I got on a fast one, non-stop to Beckenham Junction, or it may have stopped at Herne Hill I wasn't paying attention...

#14 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

The most sublime journey home I ever had was a couple of months ago...

Step one: Arriving at Elephant and Castle to find that no First Capital Connect southbound trains were coming through

Step two: Took a train to Peckham Rye to take the Beckenham Junction train to Crystal Palace.

Step four: On arriving at Peckham Rye, the Beckenham Junction service was very cancelled. (I do know that technically you do not get gradations of cancelled. Something is either cancelled or it isn't. But let me assure you in this context this train was extremely cancelled.)

Step Five: Changed direction and took a train to London Bridge

Step Six: Took a fast train that runs straight from London Bridge to Norwood Junction

Step Seven: 410 bus home

Seven steps, one hour and forty minutes. And it was on a Monday. :angry:
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#15 uk72

uk72

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

If the evening trains from Victoria are poor - as they have been recently - it is sometimes worth taking a train off the Kent platforms to Herne Hill and then catching a No. 3 or - if you live towards Beulah Hill/All Saints church - the 196.

Twice last week I tried to get the Number 3 from Herne Hill. On Thursday I had to wait for 40 mins and on Sunday I waited for an hour, realised I could have easily walked home in that time, and ended up having to get a taxi, because it was so late and I was so cold. Four buses went the other way in that time, and I was convinced I could have waited all night and none would have shown up.

I have complained to London Buses, sent them a copy of my taxi receipt and asked for them to reimburse me - we'll see what happens! ;)