• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#16 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

My preferred option is to get to Brixton and get the 3 or 432 to CP. Should be 10 buses an hour in theory, even more at peak times. Not the most salubrious place to wait but normally one turns up within 10 minutes or so.

#17 adam1982

adam1982

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

How is the traffic when using the 3 or 432 from brixton? I imagine it must take a while to get through tulse hill?

#18 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

The No.3 takes about 25 minutes to get to the CP bus station. The 432 takes a little longer but suits me as it takes me down Anerley Hill. Agreed neither are particularly speedy options - but at least you're on the move and it saves a freezing 20 minute (or longer) wait at Balham Railway station.

#19 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

I work in Canary Wharf and have now opted for the Jubilee line to Canada Water then the East London line to New Cross Gate, this leaves you two options either the train to Crystal Palace or one to Anerley then bus. I know a bit of a journey but, it saves standing on a platform at London Bridge.

A friend I knew who worked for the trains said delays will always occur on a Monday morning as they move the rollingstock on Mondays.

Oh i work in CW too and that's an option I did not take into account (i.e. the Anerly thingy) - I am seriously considering buying a scooter next year, that will save me some little time and STRESS!

On another note, I tried the Forest Hill stop a couple of times but gave up due to difficulties in getting off the train! I am opting for an early start and then wish me good luck when I fall asleep on the keyboard!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#20 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

Just received a cracking response from Southern trains in reply to my emailed complaint. They list in great detail and over several paragraphs all the operational difficulties involved in running a railway service and explained the timetable involves a series of "theoretical" departure times. They assure me that they have not yet "thrown in the towel" and are working to resolve the problems.
Something to chuckle about whilst I'm waiting for the "theoretical" 7.55 to Victoria tomorrow. :)

#21 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

So by the same token does that mean that the money I pay for my monthly travelcard should be theoretical? That in theory it will be paid, but well who knows what's actually going to happen? I think it should be a reciprocal arrangement surely.... :angry:

Apologies. Just letting off a little steam. That's better now. :)
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#22 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:36 AM

Just received a cracking response from Southern trains in reply to my emailed complaint. They list in great detail and over several paragraphs all the operational difficulties involved in running a railway service and explained the timetable involves a series of "theoretical" departure times. They assure me that they have not yet "thrown in the towel" and are working to resolve the problems.
Something to chuckle about whilst I'm waiting for the "theoretical" 7.55 to Victoria tomorrow. :)

I'm not sure whether to applaud them for honesty or....! :rolleyes:

The 'theoretical' departure reminds me of when I complained about the fact that the last train of the evening to Sydenham always leaves (and is displayed on the departure boards) as leaving 5 minutes later than it is timetabled.

Which is very confusing when you're looking for the 00:14 and finally work out it is the 00:19!

Their excuse was that "it's always been like that...maybe it is so people don't miss the last train". Erm, yeah??

#23 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:33 PM

I've got a question about the train service from GH (or CP) to London Br.
How likely is it that I will get a seat in the morning, from either GH station or CP station going toward London Br? Are the trains 4 carriages, 6, 8?
Is the platform crowded bewteen 7:30 and 8:30? How crowded? 2, 3, 4 people deep?
Am I likely to have my face pressed up against the window for 25 minutes every morning?

I'm moving to Upper Norwood (tomorrow!) and I'll be doing my first commute on Tues, so I wondered when I should aim to be on the platform?

#24 SimonC

SimonC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

I sometimes catch the 7:51 or 7:54 from CP to London Bridge.

The 7:51 starts at CP, so is no problem at CP or GH. However, it often runs several minutes late.

The 7:54 goes the other way and is no problem to get on at CP, so GH will also be fine.

#25 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Simon.
Sounds quite reasonable actually. I'm sure there will be mornings when delays cause a bit of cramp, but the service seems much better than my current unreliable St Albans trip. Packed every morning, from about 7:30 onwards.

#26 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

Thats the whole point of gipsy hill/crystal palace - the commute is so much better than surrounding areas cos you invariably get seats. Its only if there is a real problem that you don't.

#27 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'm going to have to start doing CP to Victoria soon - aiming to get to Victoria around 8:10 (oh joy!). Does anyone know how reliable the trains are at that time, and if I'll get a seat? I have a gammy leg (5 operations on my left knee!!) and my consultant said he'd prefer it if I sat down on public transport, but I HATE asking for a seat!! I know the trains can be shocking on the way home, as I get the the service that goes to Sydenham via CP. At least there'll be more than one train every half hour to choose from once we move!

#28 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

My hubby usually gets either the 0742 or 0755 from CP to Vic and while they're often a few minutes late - they are rarely cancelled (lately). Last year there was a lot of trouble with cancelled trains, but he says this year has been ok so far.

THe 0742 gets you in at 0810 and the 0755 arrives at 0825.

Oh yes, he always gets a seat too - they are 8 car trains, and they are usually full by Streatham Hill/Balham, but at CP you should be fine.

Edited by rachel, 23 November 2006 - 02:51 PM.

#29 SJH2002

SJH2002

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

Hello

There is a 8:!2 from CP to Victoria, that starts at Beckenham Junction, so is generally not too busy.
Its normally quite reliable time wise too, probably as it is only starting at Beck J.

After that its 8:28, which is again not too packed, but is usually about 4/5 mins late.

hope that helps.

#30 SimonC

SimonC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

I work in Holborn so I use both London Bridge (see earlier post) & Victoria.

I often catch the 7:42 from CP to Victoria. It is very reliable and their are plenty of seats at CP.

The 7:55 to Victoria seems far more unreliable which is why I tend to use the London Bridge trains around then. When I have used it or the 8:12 seats have not been a problem.

Coming home I use the X68 bus as that starts round the corner from where I work.

Edited by SimonC, 23 November 2006 - 02:56 PM.