• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#31 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

The 7.42 CP to Victoria service is the best bet if you need to get to Victoria by 8.10. The train comes from Beckenham Junction (much more reliable than trains from W Croydon) and you will get a seat without any problem.
Good luck.

#32 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

TOday it took me forever! I usually get the 7.11am (recently delayed) but today I wa slazy and 2tried" to catch the 8.27 to LB - arrived at GH at 8.35 and we were at LB at 9.05 ..... ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#33 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

I got that train this morning too. What is the 8:27? It's not listed on the timetable or on the website. Is it new?

#34 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

I have no clue I thought there was one at 8.20 (followign the 8.13) but evidently I was wrong - it's getting harder to get a train than winning the lottery.

Then it accumulated sooo much delay between GH and LB, I was seriously considering to get off and walk ....

I WILL sooo get a Scooter in the summer !!!! PROMISE!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#35 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

A bit off topic but winter's the best time to get a scooter. People tend to sell them coming up to Christmas and they're not that bad to ride in the cold.

#36 spenge

spenge

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

Took me nearly 2 hours to do a journey that takes an hour this morning!!, went to get the 8.57 from CP, which was cancelled. The 9.13 was delayed and turned up about half past, took a while to get to Clapham so missed my connection, the connection I got sat outside Clapham for about 5 mins for no reason!!. I got to work about 10.30. I still went to the pub for lunch though :P

#37 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

That 9:13 is one of my "last ditch" trains (ie if I miss that then I'll be officially late!) and it's been getting worse and worse all week... :angry:

Actually, maybe I should just get up earlier!! :unsure:

Edited by Elmo, 25 November 2006 - 10:18 AM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#38 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

Just to share the happiness of the 7.51 from GH actually ON TIME!!!! today
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#39 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

The 7.15 to London Bridge was cancelled this morning. Had to go to Norwood Junction and then New X G for East London Line to work. :(

#40 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

What joy... 7.55 to Victoria only 3 mins late this morning. Normal service resumed in the evening when the Balham to CP train was 10 minutes late and only 4 packed carriages, leaving several people stranded on the platform.

#41 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:18 AM

This is by no means scientific, but when winter starts train services become even worse.
This is inexcusable in terms of climate as other countries with harsher winters run far more efficient train services.

There was an article in the Evening Standard (which funnily enough I read on a late running train ) about the congestion on trains in the capital and the poor service. It also mentioned the large bonuses paid to the directors of the rail companies.
No surprises there then.

It begins to have a bearing when you are looking for work. For my next job I think I will look to work much nearer to home.......
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#42 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

For my first commute from SE19 today, I left home @ 8am, caught the 8:16 (it may have been listed as a delayed 8:13) from GH to LB. Got to LB @ 8:38. 5 mins to transfer to the Jubbly Line, in work @ CW by 9am.
Lovely. Only about 15 mins quicker than my St Albans commute, but I got a seat on a half-full train at GH, something thaht would be inconceivable from S.A.
Liking it already.
NB: My opinion may be subject to change the first time a series of cancellations/delays makes me late :)

#43 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Agent Orange,

I travel the same route every day and haven't been on a train that hasn't been delayed over the last two weeks... and that's in the morning and the evening

Looks like the train service has deteriorated just in time for the annual above-inflation fare increases

#44 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

A timely reminder, Ged, of imminent inflation busting fare rises.

It would seem that the train operators are pursuing the favoured route by most private companies that provide public services, summarised in the phrase "irritate and alienate your service users with a deteriorating and unreliable service with a corresponding bonus for the bosses of such companies for presiding over such a poor service."

It's a bit like a newsagent saying to a paper boy who delivered the newspapers late regularly and sometimes not at all - "Well done sunbeam. The service you provide might be sub-standard and deteriorating but here's £2.5 million and a quarter of jelly beans for good measure now don't eat them all at once or I'll have your mother to answer to."
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#45 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

On the subject of v.f.m. train fare, what is the most cost-efficient way to travel from GH to CW by train? I currently have a zones 1-6 travel card (with St Albans extension).
I will have this ticket until May, and it's not worth surrendering it for a refund, since the way the annual season ticket is calculated makes it uneconomical to get a refund beyond about half way through the term [nb: they basically charge you for 40 weekly tickets and give you the last 12 weeks 'free', so if you surrender, they do not refund the last 12 weeks, and you lose the cost-benefit of having had a annual ticket at all].
Anyway, I digress. When my season ticket runs out in May, what are my options?
I guess I'll just buy a zone 1-3 annual ticket, but does anyone have any realistic alternative?
I work regular business hours, mon-fri.

Just to confuse matters more, I intend to cycle to work during the summer. I'm guessing I will do this a couple of times a week, although I don't want to commit myself just now, in case the 'too much bother' factor comes into play. IF I stick to my resolution, it may be worthwhile getting monthly tickets for the winter and dailies for the summer days I choose not to cycle. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.