• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#16 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Many thanks for both those tips - think I'll try that little turning off gipsy road and if that doesn't work, I'll go back to Penge - I used to go there ages ago so thanks for reminding me of a good alternative! :P

#17 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I just noticed that Phil Spencer is going to be 'officially' opening The Paxton veterinary surgery on the 21st. Curious choice of celeb!

Paxton Vet's
Rachel
My link

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Priceless! I wish we were going to be around that day because it's all going on on 21st. Actually, a tour behind the scenes would be interesting. Paolo's never said much about it when he's come home and I don't like to press him.

Why are they officially opening ages after officially opening and with Phil Spencer? When I first read the name, I pictured that sandy, browny, blond, human doctor off the telly. What's his name? I'm sure it's a Phil. I've just tried googling but every reference before you get bored looking is to Doctor Who.

Used to live near Phil Spencer. Couldn't think how on earth I knew him the first time I saw him out and about, waiting at a pedestrian crossing with me. I decided silence was rude once we'd said hello and thought he must be a vague acquaintance so I asked how he was and how the baby was doing. He said all fine, thanks. Then I went on my way, thought more about it and realised I'd got my facts out of a magazine, it was Phil Location-Spencer and he must have thought I was a fawner. The shame. :unsure:

#19 TabithaBatt

TabithaBatt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

If you have a car i can thoroughly recommend Nelsons in Woodville Road, Thornton Heath. I always found the vets and the assistants kind and helpful

#20 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

Yes, I'd second the recommendation for Mark Nelsons in Thornton Heath, they also have a branch in South Croydon. I've been using them for 10 years now and always had a very good service from them, good appointments and little waiting. I used to use them before we had a car and used taxis - now I have a car it's always a challenge trying to remember which of the maze of back roads to go down to get there

#21 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

Have never been to the vets until yesterday and went to Nelson in Woodville Road number 71. Fanmtastic. Wasn't one of these business like clinics but charmning friendly useful service. I was so impressed and how much did a complete examination cost at this fantasic establishment - 11.50!! Seriously look no further.

#22 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Anyone got a recommendation for a vet in the CP area?

I was using the one on Gipsy Road, but since it has been taken over by Paxtons I have been less happy with the service (and the prices!).

#23 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Just to add - please ignore my request. This thread I have been added to sorts me out (couldn't find a 'vet' thread during my rather brief search - Doh!).

#24 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:23 AM

Hi Summit Lover,

Unfortunately the search term Vet won't work with the board software. I had to use Veterinary to find the thread. Glad to see you got what you needed.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick, Forum Moderator

#25 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

*** love wenzels, so fab an sympathetic, saved my tom boy's life...
bless them. lovely lady vet there last time I went.
i thought they were reasonable, that said i would have paid anything for him to be sorted!

It isn't Wenzel's any longer as both surgeries have been bought by vet Helen Spencer. Glad you had a good experience - and your boy is still with us!
aka Pie

#26 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

Gekko (or anyone else who's tried them) how are you finding Parish Lane vets now? I'm thinking of changing over since I had to use Paxtons recently and I thought the prices had probably been hiked a fair bit since the Wenzel days.

#27 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi Elleme,

We are still using Parish Lane and would definitely recommend it. A few years back we were there all the time as we had a very sick cat. Now we only go once a year for boosters. I've always liked Brian who runs the practice. He's a straightforward guy who tells it like it is but obviously really cares about animals. I find the prices very reasonable and he was very good when we were going all the time. We were spending a considerable amount of money there due to all the visits and x-rays but there were times we went in and he didn't charge us. From what I've seen when I've been in there, he's really not just in it for the money and some of this customers look they struggle to pay for the upkeep of their pets so I suspect the costs are lower in comparison to some vets. The other advantage is that it's a bit easier to park there than at Paxtons.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#28 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

We use Paxton Vets on Gipsy Road - mainly becuase we live just down the road from there so it couldn't be handier, but we are very happy with the service too. Unfortunately our cat had a run in with a car recently and came off worse. The staff of Paxton Vets were brilliant - they are all very friendly and caring, and the treatment Raoul received was first class. We have pet insurance (thank god) and the vets processed the claim very quickly, so we weren't out of pocket for too long either. (I'm glad to report our cat is now back on his feet again!)

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

Sorry to hear about Raoul's accident Angela and glad he is getting better.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#30 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

Does anyone know a local vet surgery that accepts a one-year old tortoise? I am worried about mine and would like to get in checked out.