• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Pants

Pants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

Has anyone else received the letter from Lambeth Council about the proposed development on the site of the old car service / MOT place on Cawnpore Street, off Gipsy Hill?

They want to build a 6 storey! building containing 60 flats and offices with underground parking. It'll be just behind the old Crystal Palace Diary building and the row of beautiful Victorian terraced cottages, and will tower over the existing buildings.

Personally, I think it's a disaster if it happens.

The plot of land is literally metres outside the Gipsy Hill Conservation Area, but the effect on the Victorian appearance of the hill can only be detrimental.

You have until 25th December to object to the proposals.

Go to the planning section on the website:

www.lambeth.gov.uk
Ref: 06/03917/FUL

#2 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

I got the letter too. 6 storeys is ridiculous...!

#3 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

Or for direct access:

http://planning.lamb...o=J91HP7BO71000

#4 adam1982

adam1982

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

Strange that there are no related documents as there must be lots of documents supplied by the planners?

Edited by adam1982, 11 December 2006 - 10:03 AM.

#5 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

I did not receive anything and I live nearby, if they build a 6 storey building and they stop the view from my flat they’ll hear from me BIG TIME!

I should have received something as a big LEGO BLOCK in front of my property will surely affect the value of it!

If you have any further information please bring them on !
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#6 mrfear

mrfear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

According to the information on the Lambeth council website, 3-5 Cawnpore Street, 99-107 Woodland Road And Land To The Rear Of 72-88 Gipsy Hill London does fall into the conservation area. Am I right in thinking that if just one part of the development falls into the area then that is grounds for appealing against the entire application?

Six storeys would seem about three stories too many if the plan were to be sympathetic to the conservation area.

#7 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:06 AM

I seem to remember the letter saying something about it being outside the conservation area. Will have to check when I get home.

It is worrying that not everyone received a letter about this...we only have until the 25th for comments!

#8 Pants

Pants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

According to the map of the Gipsy Hill Conservation Area on the Lambeth Council website, the development will be just outside. The Area covers the Hill and the buildings on it, but does not cover Cawnpore Street or Woodland Road.

However, the proposed development will tower over those lovely 2 storey cottages between to the old diary building and the kebab shop which are in the Conservation Area.

Unfortunately, you're not allowed to cite the effect on property values as a reason to object, but noise, increased traffic etc. are valid.

60 flats - some are 2 bed. Just imagine the increase in traffic, problems parking, not being able to get a seat on the train!, and the ugly blot on the landscape...

The important thing is even if you don't have a letter, get on the website and object....

#9 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

LSPE

Right to a view and any effect on the value of your property are irrelevant. They are not material considerations in the assessment of any planning application.

Also you need to object at the planning stage there's no point objecting once its built - it will be too late.

J

#10 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

Agree on value property (that was just my strop)!

I have passed by the area yesterday and I have checked the map online (though no plans publicly available):

1) I don’t understand how can they allow a block of flat in a conservation area as it will clearly stand out from the rest (as the other two already there);
2) They make (rightly) a fuss for a conservation area and for instance they allow you to replace windows only if hard wood (the cost is almost 3x the PVC) but then they can allow this?
3) There is a little playground there not sure if this will be affected by the planning.
4) Who should have received the letter? Cause I did not ….

Edited by LSPE, 12 December 2006 - 11:26 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#11 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

"Redevelopment of the site involving the demolition of the existing buildings and erection of two buildings ranging from 3 to 6 storeys in height to provide 398.4m2 office floorspace (Class B1 use) and 60 self contained flats comprising 15 x 1 bed, 36 x 2 bed and 9 x 3 bed , together with provision of 30 car parking spaces and 12 motorcycle spaces at basement level, surface level cycle storage, landscaping and boundary treatment."

I have cheked the site and some of the application seems to fall within the COnservation Area and some not (but I must confess I got confused with the legend) ... arghhh!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#12 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

That sounds like a pretty big development... It could mean up to 120-150 more people living down Gipsy Hill. I'm no expert on these matters, but what effect will this have on the infrastructure? :huh:

Edited by Elmo, 12 December 2006 - 12:47 PM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#13 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

That sounds like a pretty big development... It could mean up to 120-150 people living down Gipsy Hill. I'm no expert on these matters, but what effect will this have on the infrastructure? :huh:

Exactly!

Anyhoo there is a link within the link provided in one of the first treds so locals can send their comments to agree or disagree with the application. There seem however a lack of information on how the building will look. I have cheked the contruction company site and what they built until now (though looks good) does not seem to be in line with anything there is on Gipsy Hill

... end of rant!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#14 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

I think the plans will be on-line shortly. Six storeys seems high but perhaps people should reserve judgement until the plans have been seen.

#15 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

erm....playing Devils' advoocate its dififcult to see how six stories will be deemed to much when you have a 12 story block of flats 100m further down the road and how high will it actually be in terms of sight line.

The land dips down sharply from the top of Cawnpore street - if it's built in the dip then it would not necessarily tower over the surrounding properties because they are on land that is higher up.