• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#16 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

erm....playing Devils' advoocate its dififcult to see how six stories will be deemed to much when you have a 12 story block of flats 100m further down the road and how high will it actually be in terms of sight line.

The land dips down sharply from the top of Cawnpore street - if it's built in the dip then it would not necessarily tower over the surrounding properties because they are on land that is higher up.

Thise grey blocks are 6/7 storey and I cannot see why we should make the same mistake again they ain't exactly stunning ...

If you stick 2 buildings (cause it seems as if there is more than one) of 6 storey there, it will tower over those houses in Canpore, those on Gipsy Hill and the Primary school itself .... etc etc
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#17 Pants

Pants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

I'm concerned about the effect of the new traffic on the Hill (from both cars and feet!) as well as the height of the building. This development contains 60 flats (some 2/3 bed), so potentially you have 150 new people moving into the area as well as the new businesses that will occupy the office space.

Gipsy Hill already resembles the M4 during rush hour in the mornings...

With it being pretty difficult getting a parking space on the surrounding roads as it is, I can only imagine it getting worse.

...and I bet I won't get a seat on the train in the morning!

My NIMBY rant over...

I think realistically the development will go ahead, but hopefully enough objections will make the architects revise the plans and at least reduce the number of storeys of the buildings and number of flats.

#18 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

Three years ago the block of garages in Camden Hill Road were knocked down and replaced by terraced houses. If you want to park in Camden Hill Road after about 7pm you need to park in Woodland Road or do several laps of the neighbouring streets in the hope that a space will open up. Since it is necessary to park in a completely different street on a regular basis and CHR is already putting pressure on Woodland Road I can only imagine this development is already going to worsen a pretty bad situation for residents in that street too.

The height of the development is an issue but I'd imagine quite hard to contest considering the close vicinity of the towers of flats next to the petrol station.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#19 adam1982

adam1982

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

Another devils advocate here:

I'm not sure that the new flats will have a negative impact on property values in the area. If developers are willing to go to these lengths to build in the area it must be a good sign that the area is improving and with this comes improvements in property prices.

There is also the fact that at the moment the council can get away with doing nothing as the streets are just about coping, if a new development was built then the situation may reach breaking point and require the council to actually do something.

It will be interesting to see how things develop!

#20 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

I think realistically the development will go ahead, but hopefully enough objections will make the architects revise the plans and at least reduce the number of storeys of the buildings and number of flats.

I wish! But I doubt!

The height of the development is an issue but I'd imagine quite hard to contest considering the close vicinity of the towers of flats next to the petrol station.

I would not oppose terraced houses. Re teh ref to the blocks, they look like a mistake there so why should they repeat it is beyond any reason .... I think.

I agree with problems of parking spaces - any reason why the councils are not issuing residents' parking only? (sorry off topic)

Another devils advocate here:

I'm not sure that the new flats will have a negative impact on property values in the area. If developers are willing to go to these lengths to build in the area it must be a good sign that the area is improving and with this comes improvements in property prices.

... or maybe they wanna cash it now before it gets too expensive!

They could probably use the space for a good size gym? kids' playground? Cinema (not sure about the height here)?

Edited by LSPE, 13 December 2006 - 10:29 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#21 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

I went to West Norwood library on Monday and between myself and the very helpful guy on the front desk, we couldn’t find the planning application!! Will try again tonight. That some neighbours don’t seem to have received the letter AND that no-one on the forum seems to have actually seen the plans yet is a bit suspicous, particularly with just over a week left to make any objections… which just happens to be the run-up to Christmas!

It IS outside the conservation area so something will be built but it doesn't have to be 6 stories right on Gipsy Hill Yes, the nearby towers are 7 stories high… but a) they seem to lie on lower ground B) they all have plenty of open space around them and c) they didn’t exactly compliment the landscape did they?

Contact details:

Andrew Mulindwa
0207 926 1214
ALMulindwa@lambeth.gov.uk
Ref: 06/03917/FUL/DC/AMU.

The more people who contact him with their comments in terms of siting, design, external apperance, loss of daylight/sunlight/privacy/ potential noise/fumes and parking/traffic issues... the better. Comments need to be received by 22nd December the latest!

#22 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

I agree that there is not much time left (just over 10 days) and everyone is busy packing + the lack of shared information is HIGHLY frustrating.

I may have read the application wrongly but it seems as if there are some of the spots (red ones?) in the conservation area.
Moreover, being ON the border with the conservation area they MUST have some sort of limitations to what they can do! Or not?

I have already emailed to the contact with my concern.

I thought to read in the Palace that the council representative was looking into this? Or did I read wrongly?

I have emailed the agent as they are dealing with queries to request a link/copy of the plan or any publicly available information. Details are in the Lambeth planning site

Edited by LSPE, 13 December 2006 - 11:59 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#23 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

Quick update: unlike the other blocks, this plot IS within the Gipsy Hill conservation area! So it is DEFINITELY worth making a valid objection if you live nearby in terms of siting, design, external apperance, loss of daylight/sunlight/privacy/ potential noise/fumes and parking/traffic issues.

For more info >

http://planning.lamb...searchform.aspx

Application Reference is 06/03917/ful

#24 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

Received an email from Lambeth planning regarding the lack of public access to the plans for this development. By the time the plans are available at West Norwood library to view there'll only be a few days before the deadline...

Sent: 13 December 2006 12:58
To:
Cc: Lerus,Daniella
Subject: RE: Ref 06/03917/FUL/DC/AMU

Dear

I will confirm with the Major Application Support officer, who processed the application and advise you accordingly. A further copy of the plans and application will be made available if the one previously sent to the library has been misplaced or lost.

Regards

Andrew

#25 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

Some people may leave

i.e. I have sent a complaint and objection based on the "idea" of the height/size of the building as I will be away when the deadline is due .... unless we can lobby to have it postponed?

Is anyone aware of any law that justifies a postponement of this? If there is a timeline between the application and the neighbour cosultation (21 days?) then these should start from the day the plans are made publicly available!

Also, even if the library has not got a plan they did not telly uou why these are not online.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#26 beefqueen

beefqueen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

I've objected on the basis of height and the fact that they are providing thirty car parking spaces; given the problems with traffic on Gipsy Hill (which I have raised with my local councillor), it's sheer idiocy to be encouraging people to own cars in new developments.

The lack of consultation with local residents does seem rather suspicious: are there any laws on which people the council is obliged to inform? I would have thought at the least they should be informing people on Gipsy Hill - I received nothing!

#27 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

1) who is the councelor that deals with these issues? He/she should be informed and feedback is welcome

2) any chance to organise a leaflet to distribute to local shops to make ppl aware of this development (nothing pro or against it just info and contact details already available online)

3) I have objected as well on height/appearance/needs of more flats/noicse/lack of structures in the neighborhood for 150 more ppl etc etc

4) this development affects the entire side of Gipsy Hill from top to bottom as it will stand out with the two other grey buildings .... surprised I did not receive anything

5) the agent of the construction company received my email (I requested info on the plan/development)

6) I have also emailed the Council requesting motivations of absence of plans online

Any input is more than welcome!

Luca

Edited by LSPE, 13 December 2006 - 01:48 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#28 Pants

Pants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

I live on Gipsy Hill, and I did receive a letter as did the other flats in my building but then I am only about 100 metres away from the site of the development.

Maybe it's done on distance.

I also worry about subsidence. What effect of all that additional weight have on the stability of the ground on the Hill? - it is an area known for 'moderate subsidence' anyway.

I hope they're not thinking of demolishing the 'Railway Bell'!

#29 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:08 PM

Factors affecting planning permission: http://www.planningp...1888236884.html

Neighbours: http://www.planningp...1888239487.html

Neighbours – in Lambeth site: http://www.lambeth.g...95A81B.htm#cons

Again, they do not seem to define “neighbours” 100mt radious? 200mt? etc etc

Also, I am not aware if they have used any other way of informing the neighbours.

They confirm the 21 days rule, with a lack of publicly available plans I believe we could request this period to start from the day these are awailable

“stronger together” as they say !!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#30 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

It will also have a negative impact on the standing room at the station and on the trains going from GH.