136 replies to this topic

#31 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:20 PM

There are three things we can do:

1) write to Lambeth and ask for copies of the plan to be made available (done)

2) write to the councilors in the Gipsy Hill Ward to make them aware of our concerns regarding the building itself and the lack of public information

3) write to the agent to get more information on the plan
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#32 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

We're in "Homes, Gardens, Shopping and Hobbies -travel, fashion, diy, lifestyle, horticulture"

I appreciate this discussion is 'homes' related but surely it should be under the more widely read NEWS & LOCAL ISSUES thread?!

#33 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

Moderator's Note
This topic is in the right section... Homes, Gardens, Shopping and Hobbies
Only planning issues that have a wide impact are placed in the News and Local Issues section (e.g. Crystal Palace Park redevelopment).

European.vote - EU Referendum

#34 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

So there will be about 120 extra ppl living in this bldg? (guesstimate based on avg 2 ppl per flat). Perhaps more.
I would expect that many will be using GH station to commute to work, most possibly around rush hour (btw 7:30 and 8:30am).
I wonder what measures Southern Trains will take to accomodate the extra numbers. I guess not much.
I'm glad I don't live in Forest Hill, there are ppl left standing on the platforms even now, especially when the train is running a bit late.

And regarding parking spaces, the plan contains parking spaces for 30 cars, which is one per every other dwelling. So, assuming more than half the tennants have cars, there will be further competition for street parking spaces.

On the plus side, if developers are submitting plans for new builds, conversions etc in the area it suggests that demand exists, which should have a positive effect on property prices, even if the view is obscured.

#35 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

Fair enough James :) but personally I would have thought this discussion had a wider impact on the local community than, say, the lamposts on Gipsy Hill or McDonalds closing, which is deemed 'news'. This planning application if for 40+ new flats plus a big new office building so affects not just people living nearby but anyone using Southern trains or driving/parking on Gipsy Hill.

There seems to have been a designed lack of communication from Lambeth Planning so anything to get more people in the community aware of the situation before it's too late to comment would be good.

#36 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

Has anyone had any feedback from the Planning Department at Lambeth on why plans are not available yet?
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#37 Jenny

Jenny

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

It's not in The Triangle so it's not news :lol:

#38 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

So there will be about 120 extra ppl living in this bldg? (guesstimate based on avg 2 ppl per flat). Perhaps more.
I would expect that many will be using GH station to commute to work, most possibly around rush hour (btw 7:30 and 8:30am).
I wonder what measures Southern Trains will take to accomodate the extra numbers. I guess not much.

Ha ha this made me laugh! What are you expecting, that Southern will lay on extra trains/carriages because an extra 100 people will use one of about 10 trains that run between 7.30am and 8.30am? That's an average of 10 people per train! 2 people per carriage!

Back on topic though, I remember on a thread a while ago someone saying that developers alway submit bigger plans than they actually expect to get away with. Is it not likely that a smaller development will be agreed upon eventually and not the 6 stories proposed?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#39 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

Letís see how it goes, I would probably be keener on 2 storey houses/buildings as long as:
1) they are eco-friendly;
2) they will not cause problems on the stability of the hill (or the Triangle will end up near The Mansion);
3) architecturally they fit within the conservation area

However there is a Return On Investment issue for the Company that is planning to purchase the field so if they want to maximise it there is the high chance that they will try to go for the full plan.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#40 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:48 AM

Fair enough James :) but personally I would have thought this discussion had a wider impact on the local community than, say, the lamposts on Gipsy Hill or McDonalds closing, which is deemed 'news'.

It's not in The Triangle so it's not news :lol:

Moderator's Note
The "Homes, Gardens, Shopping and Hobbies" section is no less or more important than any other section. I understand what you are saying but if you look through this section you will find details of many other planning issues. The top forum section always gets more new topics on a variety of subjects and we sometimes move them to more relevant sections. I can assure you there is no bias regarding the Triangle other than the popularity of the subject with our members themselves. If anyone has any more questions regarding placing of topics please contact me be PM or email.

#41 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

Regarding the extra train commuters, I was trying (albeit not v successfully) to make a wider point that currently we have a pretty sweet deal at GH station in the morning. I've never stood on a train, even at rush hour. This development is certainly not the only one that will be happening in the area ove the next couple of years and as capacity increases I wouldn't be surprised if there is no corresponding increase in services from Southern. So, if you do currently get a seat at GH, enjoy it while you can.

#42 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

I can't say whether it is okay for you to post a reply from a local councillor. This is something you will have to take up with them. Many council emails contain a footnote that say emails are for the recipient only.

#43 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

Regarding the extra train commuters, I was trying (albeit not v successfully) to make a wider point that currently we have a pretty sweet deal at GH station in the morning. I've never stood on a train, even at rush hour. This development is certainly not the only one that will be happening in the area ove the next couple of years and as capacity increases I wouldn't be surprised if there is no corresponding increase in services from Southern. So, if you do currently get a seat at GH, enjoy it while you can.

Please note Agent O that commuters from Gipsy Hill had an even sweeter deal 10 years ago but less frequent trains. I'd be more worried about the increasing difficulty of getting a seat in the White Hart or the Railway Bell.

Edited by charlie, 18 December 2006 - 01:36 PM.

#44 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

Charlie, want a seat? Get in there early :)

p.s. If the footer on your post is accurate, perhaps you should be waiting until next summer before you worry about getting a seat in the boozer? When the time comes, mine's a Guinness thanks :)

#45 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

My understading is that the flats will be part of the 100% affordable housing - I hope they will not build an hidious 6 storey building with poor quality, no respect of the environment or the surrounding architecture ...... otherwise we will end up with another grey block dumped on the site!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!