• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

I have used Hillary's twice. If you use their website etc they will put you in touch with a local agent who will visit you at home. I've found their initial quote very high but both times the price has dropped to an acceptable level after a bit of negotiation (and hints of better quotes elsewhere..). Got the impression it is the agent's decision as to how low they go (presumably they pay head office a base price).

Quite happy with the time taken to order and then the quality of the workmanship when the blinds have been fitted.

#17 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

But it still means waiting for a weekend or taking time off work. I'm telling you, call Julie!

#18 Boblatina

Boblatina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

We were (still are) looking for someone to install wooden venetian blinds.

We tried Hillarys back in Autumn of last year. They phoned us incessantly after we asked for a brochure despite a) us telling them that calling my mobile during working hours was a big no-no and B) even after we had asked them to send one of their representatives round to give us a quote. (Mr Right Hand meet Mrs Left Hand or what!)

When they finally got it into their head that we wanted a quote but we did not want them to phone us 2 or 3 times every day to ask us whether or not we wanted a quote (aargh!!!!!) they phoned us to tell us that they did not have an representative in the CP (Se19) area. A real waste of time :angry:

I wish I had thought of asking the lovely Julie (360 degrees) to do it. Her team did a load of work for us when we moved in and they were excellent.

I am going to try Making Tracks and there also seems to be a place in Sydenham that does them too.

love

Boblatina

#19 LauraH

LauraH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hello, the string has frayed in my wooden venetian blind so I cannot open it properly. Does anyone know where I could go to to get it fixed? I don't really want to fork out for new blinds!

Many thanks

Laura

#20 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

I've just had a quote from Making Tracks and it came in at a lot more than expected, which backs up the comments here that they are expensive.
Shame as I think they would be able to deliver just what I wanted, but I don't think I can afford it.

Will give Revamp and the Curtain Exchange a try instead.

#21 spenge

spenge

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have used Blinds By Design at my old flat and my new house and they have done work for various friends and family too, reasoanbly priced and good quality (only ever had venetian from them though, both metal and wooden)

http://www.blindsbyd...o.uk/index.html

#22 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

I have used Blinds By Design at my old flat and my new house and they have done work for various friends and family too, reasoanbly priced and good quality (only ever had venetian from them though, both metal and wooden)

http://www.blindsbyd...o.uk/index.html

Hi, Have looked through teh above recommendations. I have some fabric that I want to get made into roman blinds. Can anyone recommend someone who has their own business making blinds locally? I rang Making Tracks but they were v expensive. Thanks

#23 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

Does anyone have any more up-to-date recommendations for a company (or, better still, an individual working from home with smaller overheads to match my small budget!) who can make blinds backed with black-out material? I haven't yet decided whether roman or roller, but imagine the latter would be cheaper. Any advice appreciated. I intend to call Blinds by Design, and also Spyros, who used to have the upholsterers in what is now the Blackbird Bakery (mentioned in another thread), but would like to follow up a few additional leads.