Nice brisk walks in SE19

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hi guys - i was pondering this one for a while but i was wondering if anyone has the 'ultimate SE19 walk' they do to blow away the cobwebs of a winters day.

My friends come up from outside London and then we always take a walk around and its amazing the different routes and new things we find on each every walk we've done....

I find that walk along Auckland road,Church road and all the way along to Queen mary road up on beaulah hill are obviously fascinating (including old architecture,a buddhist temple and amazing views) but are there any other hidden gems you guys like taking a walk down to...?
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#2 adam1982

adam1982

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

I always think a walk around the dinosaurs and the lake in Crystal Palace Park is great.

#3 Jade

Jade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

Just walking through Norwood Park is good enough on a clear day, as you get a clear view of central London on the horizon.

#4 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

a walk tracing the old rail route from cp through high level drive over the hill into the woods and if the mood takes you you could end up in nunhead...not that i recommend that. in the woods are the remains of some lovely houses etc.
and the dulwich wood house is nearby if the legs or lungs give out!

#5 new_boy_in_town

new_boy_in_town

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

On the subject of walking, this rather useful site was flagged up in one of the free evening papers this week. It's a get-there-on-foot version of JourneyPlanner (London Only) :

www.walkit.com

#6 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

I always think a walk around the dinosaurs and the lake in Crystal Palace Park is great.

I wholeheartedly agree - although it is an obvious choice, the hole of CP park, but obviously espeically around the dinosaurs and the lakes, is fantastic - the dinosaurs seem even more surreal in the half light of winter. The top end of the park around the ruins of the palace are also great, especially if you take a book or other guide with you that explains the history around the area. There are quite a few books availble on the subject - check out what the museum has in stock or The Bookseller Crow on the Hill, around the triangle. We had some friends stay over after a Christmas party and went for a walk around the dinosaurs and they were fascinated. We were musing it would be great if the cafe was a bit more upmarket place that did coffee and breakfasts (but still family friendly!!) that blended in to the surroundings - bet it would be full every Sunday morning!

Norwood Lakes is also great for a wander around.

Happy rambling,

#7 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:45 PM

I wholeheartedly agree - although it is an obvious choice, the hole of CP park

Come come, it's not that bad ;)

#8 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

I might be repeating myself here, but Norwood Grove has to be the loveliest park in all London. It always amazes me how few people know it exists or think it consists only of the Rookery. It truly is a bit of countryside in the middle of South London.

The park stretches from the junction of Gibson's Hill and Covington Way up to Ryecroft Road and along to the top of Streathamm Common, where it includes the Rookery. It has at least seven huge fields with no roads, ornamental gardens, the historic White House, beautiful ancient woodland inhabited by green parrakets and fantastic views to the Epsom Downs. Not to mention the best 'tobboganing field' for miles when there's snow.

Walk from Beulah Hill down Gibson's Hill to the ancient old original gate post, stroll through the gate and wander up by the white house, along the top of the old 'ladies' bowling green', down the hill, through the gate on Covington Way, through the next gate and up. Rest there on a bench and take in the view, then along and up a bit to the Rookery. Don't miss the lovely water garden hidden away in there. Loads of people do! After that you could wander through the woods and find the alley way that takes you back through to Ryecroft Road with it's lovely houses, and follow the three sections of the alleyway through to Arnulls Road, back to Gibson's Hill and Beulah Hill. Then flake out in the 'Conk' pub next to the duck pond.

Hang on, maybe I should do tours?!!

Someone I know has done a bit of a web site here that might wet your appetite.

Happy walking!
Aunty

#9 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:12 AM

Aunty is right... Norwood Grove is a beautiful park with stunning views.

For a proper long walk, start off at Crown Point and wander down towards Streatham Common. Wander down to the top of the Common and walk across to where the Rookery Cafe is. Have a mug of tea if you need one. Walk into the park to the gate next to the cafe and wander through. Walk through the rookery gardens then walk across Norwood Grove, pass the impressive house and take in the views if it's a clear day. If it's not a clear day make a note to yourself to come back on a clear day. Then leave Norwood Grove on Gibsons Hill and walk back up to Beulah Hill.
Take a right along Beulah Hill passing the Conquering Hero and the pond and keep walking straight for some time, passing the Beulah Spa and that marvellous huge house just pass the corner of Spa Hill.

Keep walking past All Saints School and the Church. Walk straight on towards the row of shops on the right hand side. If required, go and grab a bacon sandwich from DJ's Hilltop cafe or even better try something from Chave De Douro, a decent Portuguese delicatessen.

Keep walking down South Norwood Hill. You might feel tired but be grateful you're not walking up it.
Then take a left down Howden Road (second on the left after Cypress Road). This will bring you down to Auckland Road. Take a left up the leafy Auckland Road and follow the road continually past the bottom of Cypress Road. You will shortly after come to the huge St John's church which is an impressive building. Keep on going straight passed the turning to Stamborne Way.
Then take a left up Fox Hill. This will lead you up to Church Road. Then take a right towards the triangle. Keep going down Church Road and have a look in Bambino's on the left.
Take another left at the next junction and wander down Westow Hill and go and have a beer in the Royal Albert. Your feet will need the rest.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

The Dulwich Society newsletter has the latest news on the South East London Green Chain

http://www.dulwichso...612-09-11.shtml

The Walk starts at the Thames Barrier and arcs its way through four boroughs (Bexley, Lewisham, Greenwich and Bromley), linking 300 beautiful green spaces, before ending up at Crystal Palace Park. The proposal is to extend it northwards through Lewisham and Southwark towards the inner city, linking four of the cultural jewels of South London - Nunhead Cemetery, the Horniman Museum and Gardens, the Dulwich Picture Gallery and the Crystal Palace dinosaurs, in a five mile extension.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the link new_boy_in_town. That link claims I can walk to work in Canary Wharf in 2 hours. Might wait till it's a bit brighter to test that theory out

#12 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:53 AM

Here's a link to another walk - slightly out-of-date (remember Safeways ;) but then it's good to be reminded of history:

http://www.london-fo...rnorwdroute.htm

with additional information on history and so on at:
http://www.london-fo...pernorwdadd.htm

On the less energetic side, pottering round the lanes inside the Triangle can make for an interesting half an hour - lots of unexpected little places tucked away in there, and some great juxtapositions of buildings.

For those less familiar with the area, slightly further afield there are also some great places for walking:

- Brockwell Park (with a lovely walled garden hidden away round the back of the house);
- South Norwood Country Park: a nature reserve, near to Elmers End, with a lake. Lots of birdlife, good views on a clear day and the chance to see a selection of SE London's finest dogs;
- Beckenham Place Park (part of the Green Chain walk which James mentions) - with the added bonus of the opportunity of having a beer from the bar in the old house.

Edited by andreas, 09 January 2007 - 08:59 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.