• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

Moderator's Note
When we moved web servers a few of our recent topics weren't transferred.
This topic has been imported. It was originally posted by madpiano

madpiano
Jan 16 2007, 10:15 PM
Hello

Facilities for children in Woodside are getting worse. Not only has South Norwood Swimming Pool now been closed for nearly 1 year (is anyone actually working on this, or are they just repainting the fence once a month ?), the playground at South Norwood Country Park is gone since last July as well.

Reading through the press releases from Croydon, the Playground will be closed for a long while yet... estimated end of 2007, which in real terms means some time in 2008.

Here is the full press release:

http://www.croydon.g...4/496807?a=5441

Aware of the playground’s popularity, the council is committed to retaining facilities at the site as part of its drive to invest in playground refurbishment across the borough set down in its Play Strategy. A bid for a new play area at South Norwood Country Park will be submitted to the Big Lottery Fund in March 2007, together with other schemes for the borough. A decision on the application would be expected three months later in June. If bidding is successful a new £180,000 play facility could be installed by the end of 2007, subject to any necessary planning permission.

What are we paying council tax for ? And what happens if the Lottery Fund says "the computer says no" ???? And what are the children supposed to be doing until then ? Hang around the streets, I guess. Which leads to boredom and annoys other pedestrians.

Obviously I could drive the kids to another park, but as a full-time working mum, that is impractical and not excatly environmentally friendly. The kids are too young to go further afield by public transport alone.

One of the reasons I chose my house was the closeness of local facilities for children until they are old enough to go further, that has now gone completley out of the window. Grrrrrrrr

matt
Jan 18 2007, 02:07 PM
One more reason why voting in council elections is important.