• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

Went there Monday and got a slice of chocolate raspberry mousse cake and a slice of blueberry cheesecake. Both were delicious, and I can't wait for another excuse to eat cake...

#32 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

Didn't know we needed exuses...! :P

Really wanted to pop in today, but I'm working from home (I really am this time!) and waiting for a delivery.... <_<
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#33 mrfear

mrfear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:48 PM

Purchased a wonderful rosemary loaf this morning - absolutely delicious with cheddar and branston - I shall return every Saturday! Can't believe we have an independent bakers and cheesemonger in Palace now - there'll be a fishmonger moving in next (in my dreams....)

#34 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:22 AM

Bacon and onion quiche was great, bread is rather overpriced. I'll keep that one for a special occasion I think.

All in all a good adition to the triangle though...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#35 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

the bread maybe a little more expensive than you would get at say Greggs but atleast it lasts and is fresh for over a week.....!
......Havent tried the dogs biscuits yet!!???? ;) :blink: :ph34r: ;)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#36 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

Bought a honey wholemeal loaf from here on Saturday. Really lovely bread - will definitely be going back next week. When we'd finished our shopping we went back and sat in with coffee and a slice of date and banana cake. We chatted a bit to one of the women in there who said that they've been surprised at how much business they've had. She said that it was busy the first weekend but she thought it was just that people were curious. However, all the people who went the first weekend came back on the following one.

The bread isn't cheap but it's definitely worth paying a bit more for. They also sell honey made in South Norwood and some lovely looking quiches. Those cakes in the window looked great too and we noticed when we were drinking our coffee that everyone who walked or drove by was peering in.

I think this place is great for the area and I hope that we get more shops like this. Well done guys and I hope you have lots of success with the bakery.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#37 Janner

Janner

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

We also managed to go in on Saturday morning with my parents for coffee. Good coffee and really good cakes. We had an impromptu taste test with chocolate brownies (favourite), pecan muffins, sticky chelsea bun and a blueberry & something muffin. All very good.

Also bought a walnut & onion loaf which went very well with some nice cheese that evening.

May well go again next week. I think the seating area may start to get a bit crowded which, I suppose, is both a good and bad thing. Maybe we could start a rota?

#38 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

Went again on Saturday early morning and bought croissants and muffin for a surprise breakfast in bed for other half ;-)

I bought some butter biscuits for the afternoon tea (Gosh I sound like my mother) but I must confess they were not my taste :-(

Will go back for more chocolate cake next week YIPPIEEEEE!!!

Oh I bought a loaf of 5 seads wholemeal bread ... YUUU-MMMMMYYYY !!!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Popped up reasonably early on Saturday and it was surprisingly busy. Purchased a leek and emmenthal quiche, large 5 seed whole meal loaf and an apricot and pork sausage roll.

All very tasty - the bread was quite dense and far heavier than any loaf purchased from Sainsburys. At 2.50 I thought it was well worth the money - still fresh this morning. We've got some French friends coming to stay next month so the arrival of the bakery is perfect to impress!! ;)

#40 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

It looks like most of the forum were in there on Saturday morning. Myself included. I love VN badges all around next weekend?

#41 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:45 AM

Gordon Bennett - call me cynical but its only a bakers with a bit of bread and cake, with nutritional value next to zero. reading these messages makes the membership of VN sound more twee and parochial than Joyce Grenfell at a village fete. I feel distinctly voyeured when I walk past and I am faced with 4 stooges on stools staring straight at me minding my own business. This villagey notion of the Palace has to stop before gnomes start appearing in those front gardens that have yet to be concreted into off-street-parking-dom

Edited by gekko, 14 March 2007 - 09:48 AM.
removed inappropriate language

#42 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

:)

I like this place - the only problem being that there's hardly anything in there! A few cakes, half a dozen loaves of bread . . . it would be much better with more stock - pastries, sandwiches, pasties, more variety of bread . . . I would go more often for my lunchtime sandwich at least, but I don't as there's nothing to buy.
M A N G O

#43 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:53 AM

Relax Chewder. Drinking coffee and watching the world go by is one of life's pleasures. I take it you're not a fan of places like Paris where this is the norm.

With so many boarded up premises around the triangle, is it such a crime for the people of CP to get excited by a new venture, which makes our little corner of London a more attractive place in which to spend time?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#44 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

I love healthy discussions so here I am with some pills of foolishness about this topic:

1) I would like to point out that bread http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread); has everything but nutritional value zero as Carbs are actually the fuel for our body and a fundamental nutritional part of a healthy balanced diet (amongst the others Mediterranean diet http://en.wikipedia....erranean_diet);
2) Personally I think is very nice to sit there and relax for few minutes while sipping a coffee and having a chat, but I have bias as I am from one of those sunny countries where we can afford having tables on the pavement and have a coffee I try to enjoy a slow-pace weekend as much as I can (refer to The Slow Movement: http://en.wikipedia....Slow_Movement);
3) there is a good variety of sandwiches at this bakery, bread, cakes, pastries, as much as they may not cover the entire range of bread available in the market, they provide a good value and trust me I have been living here for circa 9 years and this is definitely one of the top 3 breads I have tasted in London;
4) gnomes rule!

Edited by LSPE, 14 March 2007 - 11:04 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#45 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

there is a good variety of sandwiches at this bakery, bread, cakes, pastries, as much as they may not cover the entire range of bread available in the market, they provide a good value and trust me I have been living here for circa 9 years and this is definitely one of the top 3 breads I have tasted in London;

The bread I'd agree is excellent - I'd just like more variety.

As for their being a good variety of sandwiches and pastries - I don't think there is (currently). Otherwise I would go there more to buy them. I'm sure that this will change soon as (hopefully) it becomes more popular.
M A N G O