• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 peedee

peedee

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

I called in to Blackbird for the first time last Sunday hoping, at 945, to pick up a couple of croissants to go with the usual NOTW hidden inside the Observer combo. There was very little on offer apart from the previous day's bread at half price and a few (old?) Danish pastries. I asked about croissants (having developed a mild obsession whilst the assistant rather listlessly listed the old bread for my consideration), and was told that 'he' should be there about 10 and that they are not quite organised at the moment. I bought some half-price multiseed bread to cover mutual embarrassment - it was lovely. It seems this business has been getting the measure of its customers over the past few months and this thread shows that there is a lot of goodwill and appreciation. But they need to be reliable in order to maintain that. <_<

#92 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

Sampled Blackbird's wares for the first time today - a delicious loaf of bread and lemon & poppyseed cake. Thumbs up from this household.

#93 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

I'd just like to say that Blackbird's mushroom & gorgonzola quiche is enjoyed by cats too as my little girl Margot has just proved :blink: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#94 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

Nice post on our local bakery outlet:
http://tinykitchenta...ird-bakery.html

This tiny bakery in Crystal Palace, South London, is one of my favourite shops on this planet. I love everything about it, as Iím one of those freaks who actually runs into traffic towards a good bakery window display. When it opened several years ago, I was one of their first customers through the door and think it sells the best croissants outside of France!

Everything at the Blackbird is handbaked using organic flour from Shipton Mills. The quality is fantastic. You can buy knobbly rustic loaves that feel satisfying when you pick them up Ė some sourdough, others flavoured with aromatic herbs such as rosemary and caraway, plaited challah loaves and spelt bread topped with seeds. They also make knockout cakes: think lemon and poppyseed, apple and spice, carrot with cream cheese icing or flourless chocolate cake. Proper wedges of English cake Ė not flimsy slices.

The bakery occupies a triangular Victorian corner shop space that was derelict for several years because retailers couldnít figure out how to fill it, but it fits in perfectly, as though it has always been there. Aside from the tempting cake counter and shelves of homemade jams and biscuits, there is a wood burning stove, a general air of chilled out contentment and you can sit inside and watch the world go by nursing a nice mug of tea and some thick slices of toast. Itís cosy bliss.

But what I would walk across hot coals for are their plain butter croissants. They are magnificent Ė huge, crusty, buttery, salty and boasting a properly serious heft to them without being stodgy. Being half French, I feel I have a little bit of a say in what makes a good croissant, and I seriously consider these ones to be the best I have eaten outside of France. French friends of mine have also been amazed by them.

In fact, I start thinking about my weekend croissant from the minute I reach my desk on a Monday. Iím not even joking!

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter