• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 lallyb

lallyb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi, is there anyone out there that would be interested in sharing orders of vegetable plug plants? I'm thinking of ordering a selection of courgettes, cabbage, cauli, aubergines, herbs , salad leaves etc, but they come in packs of 20. If anyone is interested in going halves, please let me know. The last ordering date varies, but for some things it is late February, so would need to sort out ASAP. Thank You!

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

I grow from seed to cut down on cost but I'm interested to know where you order from? I had lots of success growing courgette, herbs and salads from seed last year. I also did tomatoes, squash, peppers, carrots and parsnips too.

The only problem was finding enough windowsill space for the trays!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 lallyb

lallyb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

The catalogue I have is from Dobies. I tried seeds last year, but was very limited as our house doesn't have any windowsills, and I'v only one heated propogator, though I did produce some killer butternut squashes from seed! I managed to find a few tomato, pepper & strawberry plants and the like at various garden centres, but Dobies seem to have a much more comprehensive range.

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

This is an old thread but I think the closest I can find to ask:

What are you growing this year? And how?

I am making use of a bit of outside garden space, balconies, window box. All container gardening unless I requisition some public land nearby that is currently only used as a place to drop litter.

I'm growing salad, tomatoes and two types of cucumber from seed (tomato seed kindly donated by a colleague who collected too much for herself from last year's crop), then chilli peppers and peas from baby plants that I bought. Last year's potatoes were not harvested and seem to have started up again now for good measure so I think that one's a suck it and see. We grow various herbs that have been in the earth for a couple of years now and apart from the wimpy chive, who carked it at the first sign of trouble, are mainly still going strong, with no frost protection or anything. After the recent sun and rain fiesta, the parsley particularly has gone mental with joy.

The windowsills inside are fairly well taken up with seedlings now. The seeds that have germinated and are growing well so far are all of the tomato seeds and half of the cucumber, though the latter were only planted a week ago.

I've ordered Crystal Lemon cucumber seeds too, as they say you can start them up to late May and I am intrigued to taste the result.

I forgot about my radishes, carrots and spinach! Lol. Those too. So far radishes, carrots and accompanying cornflowers are showing, spinach yet to leave the starting blocks, though it's been in as long and had the same treatment.

#5 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Ooh, my kinda thread :) We are lucky to have 2 half-plots at Norbury Allotment Society this yr (both in absolutely dreadful shape tho, covered in grass and bindweed, I think everyone else must have turned them down, it has taken since October until now to get both plots ready for planting - a lot of hard work, but discovered just how therapeutic digging is to balance out the boredom of the office job!).

SO. We have grown pretty much everything from seed this yr. We started the runner beans and mangetout in the shed and planted them out at the weekend. Popped the peas straight into the ground a week ago, but no signs of life there yet... :unsure: Kale and chard we also planted straight into the ground, and they are both sprouting :hugkiss:

In the ground already are 6 rows of spuds, several rows of garlic and onions, cabbage, red cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, and spinach (stay away, dastardly slugs!), rhubarb and a gooseberry bush, strawberries and blackberries. Oh and lots of lavender to bring in the bees (these were bought online as plugs from thompson and morgan).

In the shed still growing are cucumber, butternut squash, some sweetcorn, sprouting broccoli and peppers. We've got a million tomato plants grown from seed! Other half is looking to spend the summer making chutneys. Also beetroot, courgettes, few other things. Will add in varieties of lettuce at some point.

Everty time I go to the allotment these days, I see something new - is all very exciting.

In previous years, we've just grown at home - toms in hanging baskets, assorted veg in old wooden apple boxes and large pots.

Edited by moc, 04 May 2010 - 02:23 PM.

Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#6 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

That's amazing. Lucky you. How long were you waiting for an allotment?

#7 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

A couple of years. But they do seem to be after younger people (well, 30s, which is young compared to most plot holders!) to add a new dynamic and actually make a go of plots rather than leaving them to pile up with weeds, as happens often apparently - we also help out around the site generally and we are now volunteering in the allotment shop one Sunday morning a month too.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#8 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

MOC, are you going to be able to eat all that?! Big freezer and lots of preserving jars required?

I have sown far too many things, and find it hard throwing away the wimpy seedlings.

I must have planted about 40 little pots of things. If they all survive, there maybe some up for (free) grabs if anyone is interested. The garden is big, but we haven't really prepared it for vegetables. Plus I was a bit late to get going.

The mushrooms (not naughty ones, I hasten to add) are coming on too...
Rachel
My link

#9 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

We will give it a good go, Rachel! Other half sells his jams, preserves and chutneys in our neighbour's shop in Bermondsey, so we'll get through a lot that way. I'm sure we'll also be up for swapping produce too if anyone is interested :D

#10 fungigirl

fungigirl

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

MOC, if you need any fresh chicken manure to go in your compost we have loads, you can also make a liquid feed from fresh manure. This offer is open to one and all.

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

I did some more potting recently and was dreaming of chicken manure.

If I ever get a glut (fingers crossed), I will set up a stall and sell it for the cinema campaign. Or will I get arrested? No matter.

#12 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

We have chickens too, so have plenty of manure but thanks FG! How do you make it into a liquid feed tho? Last yr, when we were growing purely from the garden, I'd bring in some eggs or some tomatoes, and swap them for a courgette from a colleague's garden. I love swapping! We could have a home-grown picnic in CP park in the summer.

#13 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

We have chickens too, so have plenty of manure but thanks FG! How do you make it into a liquid feed tho? Last yr, when we were growing purely from the garden, I'd bring in some eggs or some tomatoes, and swap them for a courgette from a colleague's garden. I love swapping! We could have a home-grown picnic in CP park in the summer.

Sounds fun.

I would love to keep chickens. We have room, but I worry about the foxes. Plus can you get chicken sitters when you go away?
Rachel
My link

#14 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

Sure, me! We have chicken sitters who live near us. I advertised on a website called Omlet (no kidding) for chicken sitters, they got in touch, we look after each others chickens whenever one of us goes away, and we've been friends ever since. The fox comes sniffing around occasionally, but he can't get to them, so he doesnt stick around. They're very easy to look after!

#15 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

I am not sure who would be more freaked out - the cats by chickens or chickens, by the cats, if we got some.

I am seriously thinking about it though. I need to sort out the small lake that appears at the bottom of our garden when it rains first though, as that's the obvious place to put them along side the vegetable patch that will be, if I can get a spare weekend.

Re the name of the chicken sitting thing it could be worse. Kentucky Fried...
Rachel
My link