• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

This may be of interest to people, although it may be a bit out of your way for CP-ers.

I haven't been before, but will be taking a look.

Kent House Leisure Gardens

It's in Sydenham.

The shop may be of interest too, but as I said, I haven't been - didn't even know it existed until I got the flier, even though it's down the bottom of my road!
Rachel
My link

#32 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Rachel, I meant to say at the time, thanks for posting this. I had no idea it was there either. Did you go?

There's a gardeners' question time event at Palace library tomorrow night, in two separate sessions.

We took our balcony gardening/windowsill allotment-style discussion off the main forum because we got too excited and went into detail but rest assured we're still out there!

#33 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

There was a big frost last week, believe it or not, and many people down at t'allotment site lost potatoe plants that hadn't been earthed up. Fortunately I had been a good boy and done that regularly, so the damage was minimal - but I did lose some runner beans :rolleyes:

Today I have put the pepper seeds I've been cultivating over the last 4 weeks, into the garden to harden them up, ready for planting out in 2 weeks time - so excited.

I also followed a tip from the Edible Garden program that was on recently, and bought a packet of dried peas for 24p, and sowed them straight into the ground last night. Watch this space.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#34 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

Rachel, I meant to say at the time, thanks for posting this. I had no idea it was there either. Did you go?

There's a gardeners' question time event at Palace library tomorrow night, in two separate sessions.

We took our balcony gardening/windowsill allotment-style discussion off the main forum because we got too excited and went into detail but rest assured we're still out there!

Yes, I did. It was potentially fun, but not as much as it could have been with 3 9-11 year olds (not mine!) v bored, albeit politely so, in tow! They did like the chickens and the duck though.

The allotments are imaculate. A little portion Chelsea Flower Show in Sydenham.

I am going to try and visit the shop on Sunday. They sell compost, which is useful to know, plus other stuff.

I could have done to have gone to the gardeners' question time thing. I have lots of shrubs in my (newish) garden which I can't identify. I wanted to post a picture of one of them on here in the hope that someone could identify it, but one can only do this via an url. I need to get another web site. Can't download them onto mine.
Rachel
My link

#35 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

I'm going to pop along to this place one day.

You could put your photos in the VN gallery then post the link or you could email the pictures to the RHS - they would probably be able to answer you instantly.

I am considering Moc's dried peas idea for home but have run out of growing space if all the seedlings I currently have on the go make it to adulthood. I will virtually be watching Moc's space to see whether it works.

#36 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

I wanted to post a picture of one of them on here in the hope that someone could identify it, but one can only do this via an url. I need to get another web site. Can't download them onto mine.

Try uploading to Flickr.com or create a public photo album in Facebook.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#37 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Try uploading to Flickr.com or create a public photo album in Facebook.

Thank, James!
Rachel
My link

#38 Rachel WDC

Rachel WDC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hello!

If any of you do have any excess stock in and around 17 July please let me know Friends of Kingswood are holding their summer fair (Kingswood Primary School) on this date and we planted tomatoes and cucumbers with the nursery kiddiewinkles to sell and we'd happily take anything else, particularly onions for our BBQ. The money will go towards some great enhancements for the children (days out, theatre trips, art exhibitions etc)...

Cheers
Rachel

#39 filmbuffy

filmbuffy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

hi there, i ve just started growing veg in my small little garden this year. is good but hard work.
Currently growing toms, lettuce, basil, strawberries, carrots and red and chilli peppers, and some salad.
If anyone has any left over stock would be greatfully received. and im sure i have a plant or two can swap with..

oh and tips on planting all those lovely veg in the ground without all the slugs and snails eating them would be great. there seems to be hundreds out there at night.
ive tried salt but i really dont like that method of death.

moc.. how do you keep them and other pests away on an allotment.? im assuming that your not generally there late at night to deal with the slimers and its generally a much larger area and variety of bugs to deal with.

#40 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

Am struggling with the slimey slugs n snails, just like everyone else, and dont have the answers. I put some slug traps down, but there arent any slugs in them. I tried pellets, but my experience was that it just brought MORE slugs - the day after I put some down, sprinkled around my mangetout and courgette plants, the next day I came back to find them all pretty much decimated. Is really frustrating.

At home in the garden, I have the BEST snail and slug remedy ever - chickens! Let them loose, they'll munch them all up within minutes. Good old nature's food chain. You have to keep your eye on them tho - once the slugs and snails have gone, they'll start pecking at the plants :rolleyes:
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#41 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

have got some yellow as well as green courgette plants to give away - any takers?
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#42 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for offering. Sounds lovely but we have no more space.

I lost a baby cucumber. Just stopped growing, withered and carked it. Exactly the same age and conditions as others that are getting close to flowering now. Thought it was odd but that, literally, is life.

#43 filmbuffy

filmbuffy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

oooh yellow pepper and courgettes sound good.

#44 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Used home grown serrano peppers in my chilli yesterday. Delicious. :P
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#45 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I would be interested. I have an excess of chilli plants if you want to swap. Plus some intersting seeds - Japanese herbs, plus other stuff.
Rachel
My link